Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Old Corollas You See On The Road Today

by tracey, March 2, 2007

My coworker's mechanic currently drives a 1982 Corolla and he drove it from Austin, Texas to Florida and back just last winter! (The coworker himself drives a 1994 Tercel.) The thought of such an old Corolla on a long road trip makes me smile. I hope you liked hearing that. That's the oldest Corolla being driven around that I know of today. Do you know of any other Corollas from the early 80s or beyond being driven today? Talk about getting your money's worth!

My coworker's mechanic currently drives a 1982 Corolla and he drove it from Austin, Texas to Florida and back just last winter! (The coworker himself drives a 1994 Tercel.) The thought of such an old Corolla on a long road trip makes me smile. I hope you liked hearing that. That's the oldest Corolla being driven around that I know of today. Do you know of any other Corollas from the early 80s or beyond being driven today? Talk about getting your money's worth!

IMHO all pre 7 generation Corollas look like crap. Boxy, flimsy looking, ugly. You have to go back to the late sixties to find a nice one. I hate the one from the early 90s, with the headlights that pop up.

Bikeman982

I would still have my 1991 and my wife would still be driving her 1992, if CA smog testing (emission) was not so strict.

When they started having trouble passing, that's when I sold them and went to the 7th generation.

I had thought the 6th generation were the best looking at the time. I think they are not too bad, still.

IMHO all pre 7 generation Corollas look like crap. Boxy, flimsy looking, ugly. You have to go back to the late sixties to find a nice one. I hate the one from the early 90s, with the headlights that pop up.
Sigh, no appreciation for history or progress...

I may not particularly love the reto-80s boxy look, but I still love seeing some of the REALLY old cars out there. A couple weeks ago, I saw a 4th gen Corolla in the parking lot of my job. I estimate it was a 1979-1980 (before the headllight redesign in 81'). I saw a 77' Corolla at a local auto show about a year ago. The thing was awsome! The guy even let me sit inside it. Overall it had roughly 310,000 miles. He told me he bought it for a couple hundred bucks and completely rebuilt/restored it so that it would drive like brand new again.

I actually see 80's Corollas a lot, also Camrys. Its funny, the other day I was just thinking about how many Corollas I see, everyday. I think its seriously the most popular car. I see countless 7th gens, and a lot of 8th, and 9th. Also I see a lot of Prisms, but for some reason the majority of Prisms are badly taken care of.

It shows how good of cars Toyotas are!

I see a lot of AE86 and AE85 around my area...

Bikeman982

I went to the local junkyard today and the Toyotas are getting less and less each time. Most are 6th generation Corollas or Camrys.

I only found two 7th generation Corollas and that was it. It just goes to show that they don't end up there.

Probably most of them are still being driven.

Topic List