Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Speaker Change - 94 Corolla Dx

By 94 RoLLa DX March 1, 2007

Car: 94 Rolla DX. Okay, so I noticed my rear speakers are soundin kinda poopy, so I decide I wanna get some new 6.5" speakers for the rear, tomorrow im gonna head towards Best Buy, and pick up a decent pair. Any recommendations? Anyway, Ive searched for the proper procedure on how to replace the rear speakers, and have read so many different stories. Some say I have to remove all this stuff inside , remove the rear deck, etc. . . and others ive seen say that you can just do it all from the trunk. I know the speakers are visable from the trunk, and thats how I thought it would be done, but ive read a lot of stuff saying that you need to remove panels and fasteners inside the car, remove the deck, etc. . .I dunno, can anyone help me out? Tryin to get some bump in my rolla. default_wink

Bikeman982

Car: 94 Rolla DX. Okay, so I noticed my rear speakers are soundin kinda poopy, so I decide I wanna get some new 6.5" speakers for the rear, tomorrow im gonna head towards Best Buy, and pick up a decent pair. Any recommendations? Anyway, Ive searched for the proper procedure on how to replace the rear speakers, and have read so many different stories. Some say I have to remove all this stuff inside , remove the rear deck, etc. . . and others ive seen say that you can just do it all from the trunk. I know the speakers are visable from the trunk, and thats how I thought it would be done, but ive read a lot of stuff saying that you need to remove panels and fasteners inside the car, remove the deck, etc. . .I dunno, can anyone help me out? Tryin to get some bump in my rolla. default_wink
Try popping the covers off in the rear deck. I think the mounting screws are located under them.

The wiring can be accessed thru the trunk.

Thanks for your help Howard! Im gonna check it out tomorrow, because its almost time for me to go to bed, but Ill have to see what im working with. I hope I dont break anything!

So do you consider the rear speaker change easy, or hard?

Bikeman982

Thanks for your help Howard! Im gonna check it out tomorrow, because its almost time for me to go to bed, but Ill have to see what im working with. I hope I dont break anything!

So do you consider the rear speaker change easy, or hard?

I think it would be easy, depending on the size of the new ones you want to put in.

Try popping the covers off in the rear deck. I think the mounting screws are located under them.

Do not try popping the grilles off of the rear deck as you will ruin them and your deck. You have to take out the back seat, then take the rear deck off as a whole. You can access your speakers this way, not through the trunk. You can see your speakers from the trunk, they resonate through the trunk slightly but you can only dissconnect the speaker wires through here as the bikeman says.

Unfortunately speaker grilles in most cars are not held in by screws, its usually some sort of rivet-like method in the back.

Attacking from the trunk is unnecessary. I just wrote another response on how to take the rear seat out in a prizm. This same basic method should work in any car.

good luck

Bikeman982

Do not try popping the grilles off of the rear deck as you will ruin them and your deck. You have to take out the back seat, then take the rear deck off as a whole. You can access your speakers this way, not through the trunk. You can see your speakers from the trunk, they resonate through the trunk slightly but you can only dissconnect the speaker wires through here as the bikeman says.

Unfortunately speaker grilles in most cars are not held in by screws, its usually some sort of rivet-like method in the back.

Attacking from the trunk is unnecessary. I just wrote another response on how to take the rear seat out in a prizm. This same basic method should work in any car.

good luck

I have never removed the back speakers, but I thought most speaker covers had snaps or clips holding them down to the rear shelf.

I have seen the speakers from the trunk and know that the wiring is visible and can be removed thru the trunk.

I will have to check my car or at the junkyard to see just how the speakers are mounted (direction of screws).

+1 on removing the back seats, attempting to remove the speaker grills will cause you to snap them and need to replace

Really simple,

1-pop up rear seat

2-remove 3 bolts at the bottm of the seats, then pull up (towards ceiling) to remove

3-Carefully release clips on rear tray to lift up and have acess to rear speakers.

on a side note, fitting 6.5 might not be a direct swap (especially if they are deep speakers).

Topic List