Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Member.

By 94 RoLLa DX March 1, 2007

Whats up everybody?

Im new here, decided to introduce myself. I recently acquired a 94 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8L of fury, I bought it off my grandma when I sold my turbo Probe. Its soo freakin reliable, good on gas, and actually fun, even though an auto. default_sad

Anywho, just seein' whats up . . . im off to browse the forum.

Bikeman982

Whats up everybody?

Im new here, decided to introduce myself. I recently acquired a 94 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8L of fury, I bought it off my grandma when I sold my turbo Probe. Its soo freakin reliable, good on gas, and actually fun, even though an auto. default_sad

Welcome. Nice to see another 7th generation Corolla owner.

What's fury?

Check out pictures of my Corollas on other posts.

Oh I was just being sarcastic with the 1.8 of fury bit, I was saying its a beast. default_wink

Thanks for the welcome. It seems the 7th gens are pretty popular. I see you have a lot of them! default_wink They are nice cars.

Bikeman982

Oh I was just being sarcastic with the 1.8 of fury bit, I was saying its a beast. default_wink

Thanks for the welcome. It seems the 7th gens are pretty popular. I see you have a lot of them! default_wink They are nice cars.

I think the 1.8L has a lot of power (compared to the 1.6L).

It is not like a turbo, but it is meant as a fuel efficient economy car.

I am working on another 1994 in my garage.

I buy them from e-Bay and then fix/repair them for my use or to resell.

Yeah ive never driven a 1.6L Corolla, but the 1.8L isnt too slow. The car is so light that I think it gets movin easily. Not fast by any means, but cool, and definitely a fuel economy car, there is nothin better.

Thats cool that you buy them from Ebay, and re-sell. It seems that Corollas have a decent resale value, especially if fixed up, and taken care of.

Bikeman982

Yeah ive never driven a 1.6L Corolla, but the 1.8L isnt too slow. The car is so light that I think it gets movin easily. Not fast by any means, but cool, and definitely a fuel economy car, there is nothin better.

Thats cool that you buy them from Ebay, and re-sell. It seems that Corollas have a decent resale value, especially if fixed up, and taken care of.

Well they go down in price, the older they get and 7th generation are getting older.

They do last a long time and go for many, many miles. You can expect to do the same with yours.

Make sure you constantly check the fluid levels, especially the oil.

Keep it tuned up and replace anything that breaks.

Get some good tires and try not to scratch the paint.

There are a few 7th generation Corolla owner's that post on this forum, so keep checking in.

Post a picture or two, when you get a chance.

I will keep checkin in, and will definitely have to post some pics when I can take some. It's really clean... previously owned by my grandma, so the interior is spotless (blue int), and the front right side of the bumper has some scuff marks from her brushing up against something, but that will all be fixed once the weather breaks. Corollas are easy to work on too, today I changed the oil/filter, plugs, and PCV valve in like 15 minutes total. Love a car that is easy to work on.

Bikeman982

I will keep checkin in, and will definitely have to post some pics when I can take some. It's really clean... previously owned by my grandma, so the interior is spotless (blue int), and the front right side of the bumper has some scuff marks from her brushing up against something, but that will all be fixed once the weather breaks. Corollas are easy to work on too, today I changed the oil/filter, plugs, and PCV valve in like 15 minutes total. Love a car that is easy to work on.
That's true.

Try changing the engine, transmission, all the brakes, mirrors, door handles, etc.

Ill pass on changing all that, maybe the Tranny . . . id rather have a 5spd!! default_smile

I'm afraid to say after 3 Probes you're going to be disappointed with the 'Rolla's performance.

Oh yeah, im used to it by now. It felt really slow when I first started driving it, my last Probe was turboed and ran mid/low 13s. So its quite a step down in performance, but I still love it for other reasons.

Bikeman982

Oh yeah, im used to it by now. It felt really slow when I first started driving it, my last Probe was turboed and ran mid/low 13s. So its quite a step down in performance, but I still love it for other reasons.
Maybe you won't have as many Probe-lems.

Not nearly as many Probe-lems now. default_smile

Whats up everybody?

Welcome to the fun of the corolla world.

I used to have an 89 probe gt that could hang with a mitsubishi 3000gt at 125mph on I285 back in my younger stupider days. That car had strange electrical problems the entire time I had it. I also picked up an 89 lx from ebay, and later was given an 89 gt with a blown turbo. Eventually I had to haul them to the scrapyard because they were considered "junk" by the county I lived in. I still miss the fun of spooling that turbo up to just below the fuel cut point.

After that car, I was driving a 93 dodge dakota for a long time. When I first got it, I had difficulty keeping it from smoking tires. Tires never lasted the full mileage rating. But now that it is up to 180,000 miles or so, it just doesn't pull as hard. default_sad

My most recent purchase is my 98 rolla. I'm glad I got a manual. This car is amazingly strong for what it was built to be. I'm quite happy with it.

As I drive to work each day, I see corollas everywhere, of almost all generations. And matrix/vibe and prisms too. Funny how I never noticed them before. default_laugh Where I work there are now 4 corollas in the parking lot. One is the identical model as mine, except it is an automatic and the owner has put on a ski rack and a bazillion bumper stickers, while mine is still mostly stock. Today I filled up at got 37.17 mpg on this last tank. My probe never did that. I think the best it ever hit was 27mpg on a long trip. Basically, I filled it up, got onto the interstate and set the cruise until the next gas station, without touching the turbo much. lol. The best the dakota ever did was 23mpg (again, a long trip), and the best the chevrolet C30 7.4L ever did was 13mpg on a long trip.

I believe you'll enjoy your corolla a lot more (value-wise) than your probe. Even if the performance is a bit of a let down compared to a probe.

Anyway, as one former-prober to another, welcome to the joys of fuel economy that still is fun!

jim

My 89 GT had electrical problems too! I think there was a short, and it would sometimes cause my battery to randomly drain until dead, while the car was sitting. It was extremely fast though, for a car with a dinky stock turbo, I had it on 15lbs of boost, with loads of supporting mods. Dynoed at over 300 ft lbs of torque. It was a monster. Hung with sports cars all day. I really miss it, but the Corolla isnt a bad replacement. Ill take the 35mpg, reliability, and simplesness of the Corolla anyday, and even though my Rolla is an auto, its still fun! My 89 GT didnt get bad gas mileage though, I could get up to about 30-32mpg, highway driving. But something went wrong everytime id fix it. I guess thats what you get when you have a 19 year old Probe, with 150,000 miles. Anyway, its cool to see another former Prober on here. Thanks for the welcome!

• 1,424 posts

The Corolla will be a lot more reliable than the Probe.

We used to be a Ford Family, now we drive Japanese.

It is because without employee pricing, Ford cars aren't as attractive.

Having a car that is always breaking down is invaluable.

really? default_laugh

jim

Bikeman982

The Corolla will be a lot more reliable than the Probe.

We used to be a Ford Family, now we drive Japanese.

It is because without employee pricing, Ford cars aren't as attractive.

Having a car that looks and drives good is what we all desire.

Having a car that is somewhat fuel efficient is an added bonus.

Having a car that is reliable and dependable is priceless.

Topic List: Go to Introductions