Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

96 Speaker Replacement

by Access-Denied, February 25, 2007

Access-Denied (+1)

Got a 96 Geo Prizm with the factory speakers still. Needless to say, they need to be replaced.

Any ideas how long, and how tuff the job is. I've never replaced speakers before. Front speakers look easy. I'm guessing, pop the speaker cover off, unscrew the old speakers. Pop in the new ones. Not sure about the rear.

Any tips/suggestions would be great. Plan on doing this tomorrow.

• 1,424 posts
Got a 96 Geo Prizm with the factory speakers still. Needless to say, they need to be replaced.

Any ideas how long, and how tuff the job is. I've never replaced speakers before. Front speakers look easy. I'm guessing, pop the speaker cover off, unscrew the old speakers. Pop in the new ones. Not sure about the rear.

On every car I've ever worked on, it isn't a matter of popping the speaker covers off, it is a matter of taking the entire inner door panel off the car. The speaker grilles are attached from behind, and they are a part of the inner door panel, so they don't just "pop off". You'll need to find all the screws and clips that hold your door panel on and remove them. This isn't really difficult, just make sure you remove all the screws before you try to pull the panel off, and do try not to break any clips that may be on the inner door panel.

The back speakers will probably be easier. They are in the rear deck. Rear deck speakers are usually easy to install because you can just get into the trunk and unscrew them. Then you take them out and screw the new ones in their place. If they don't mount from the trunk, you can usually pop the speaker grilles, unmount the old speakers, pop the new ones in, screw them down, pop the grilles back in place and you're set.

Also, you need 4" round speaker for the front doors 5.25 or 6.5 round for the rear deck. If you can find them, they make these really nifty speaker wiring harnesses that plug into your factory speaker wiring harness on one end and into your new speakers on the other end so you don't have to cut any wires.

Bikeman982

I have changed the front speakers and they do require the door panel be removed.

The rear speakers you should be able to get to thru the trunk.

For the front, yes you have to take the door pannel off. If you have a hand crank window setup you will need a medium sized window handle remover. Simple install, watch out for the window handle pin, it will fly away if your not careful its spring loaded, but you can buy them at autozone/cap/advanced.

The rears... You need to remove the back seat unfortunately. On every car i've had, this is the same case so i dont know about relacing the speakers from the trunk. If you choose to attach them through the trunk they will rattle with every bump and eventually work themselves out of the setup, its better for them to sit on the rear deck than hang.

The bottom of the seat pops out first, push the bottom of the seat toward the back of the car and you should be able to unhinge/pop it up, then once its all loose it comes right out.

The top requires 3 12mm bolts I believe that hold it down at the bottom. The top of the top just hooks onto the car and holds the rear deck in.

Once youve removed the seats, you just need to slide the rear deck foreward, its easy it will have to flex to get it out of place so you can access the speakers.

Hope that helps

-If you are using speakers with adjustable angle tweeters, make sure you adjust these prior to reassembling the interior.

Bikeman982

For the front, yes you have to take the door pannel off. If you have a hand crank window setup you will need a medium sized window handle remover. Simple install, watch out for the window handle pin, it will fly away if your not careful its spring loaded, but you can buy them at autozone/cap/advanced.

The rears... You need to remove the back seat unfortunately. On every car i've had, this is the same case so i dont know about relacing the speakers from the trunk. If you choose to attach them through the trunk they will rattle with every bump and eventually work themselves out of the setup, its better for them to sit on the rear deck than hang.

The bottom of the seat pops out first, push the bottom of the seat toward the back of the car and you should be able to unhinge/pop it up, then once its all loose it comes right out.

The top requires 3 12mm bolts I believe that hold it down at the bottom. The top of the top just hooks onto the car and holds the rear deck in.

Once youve removed the seats, you just need to slide the rear deck foreward, its easy it will have to flex to get it out of place so you can access the speakers.

Hope that helps

-If you are using speakers with adjustable angle tweeters, make sure you adjust these prior to reassembling the interior.

There is a tool that can be purchased fairly cheaply that can take the non-powered window handle off.

The pin is like a snap ring and goes between the handle and the plastic shield.

Hope this helps.

Guest gameguru1360

you can find speaker adapters from crutchfield.com. usually they include these adapters free when you buy speakers from them. Crutchfield also carries the mastersheets which are guides as to how speakers can be accessed as well as how to remove and install your head unit

Bikeman982

Are you planning on replacing them with the same size speakers?

Guest Jia Chen

hi gold101, thank you very much for sharing the information, this is very useful, i have a 96 corolla dx, i tried several attempts to install the rear speakers but to no avail, the furthest i got to was taken pin out and pop off cover of center brake light, popped 3 white plastic pins from under the rear carpet deck in truck, those 3 pins hold the front part of the deck cardboard... the rear part is where i stuck... it seems they are covered by the plastic panel on sides of the car interior where seatbelts go into... i tried to play around with seats.. but no luck.

after reading your information.. i have a question, when you say removing the entire seats, does it mean to include the rear deck with brake lights? and with side plastic panel that seatbelts go into? i'd really love to know more about how exactly to remove the seats...

fyi, my specific application is a 96 corolla dx (canadian), there are no STOCK rear speakers, however i can see there's is wiring under the carpet of the rear deck.. and the backseats is a 60/40 split, can be folded down..

thanks a lot in advance!

Hope that helps

Bikeman982

Do you have rear fold-down seats?

If you need to get to the trunk, fold-down seats make it easy.

If you do not have to and need to remove the rear seats, you take out the bottom portion first.

The front part is just pressed in by two clips and can be pulled up.

After that you pull the bottom part of the seat forward and it will come out.

After removing the bottom seat it will reveal the fasteners that hold the back seats in.

You may have to take out the seat belts as well.

That will uncover fasteners that will allow the top deck shelf to come out.

Hope this helps.

Hey, sorry for the delay.

Yes you have to remove the rear deck with the high mount stop light housing.

The sides where the seat belt coils up can be left alone, I have never touched that.

The rear deck will bow in the middle as your taking it out, its fine its quite flexible.

Your best bet is just to dive in, its really quite simple. I found the hardest part was just getting around to doing it in general.

Hope that helps

Bikeman982

The sides where the seat belt coils up can be left alone, I have never touched that.

The rear deck will bow in the middle as your taking it out, its fine its quite flexible.

Your best bet is just to dive in, its really quite simple. I found the hardest part was just getting around to doing it in general.

Hope that helps

The hardest part of any job is just getting the confidence to start.

After you begin, it gets easier to do each time.

Guest Jia Chen

Hope that helps

thanks a lot guys, i'll try it at some weekends when the whether gets warmer.

Bikeman982

Hope that helps

thanks a lot guys, i'll try it at some weekends when the whether gets warmer.

Good luck, keep us informed and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Hi, great post, thanks. I managed to pull apart everything and get to the rear speakers. However, I didn't do enough research prior to going into the job and noticed the hole is way bigger than 5-1/4". I intend to hopefully use the bracket that mounts the 3 holes to 4 hole configuration with the adapter for the plug to 2 terminals. What do I need to get? I saw crutchfield recommended http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z5nZtK0zQHW/c...amp;I=142SAC656 but the reviews aren't great for theser corollas. The model I'm working on is 93, which if I imagine, is similar to 97's.

Bikeman982

Hi, great post, thanks. I managed to pull apart everything and get to the rear speakers. However, I didn't do enough research prior to going into the job and noticed the hole is way bigger than 5-1/4". I intend to hopefully use the bracket that mounts the 3 holes to 4 hole configuration with the adapter for the plug to 2 terminals. What do I need to get? I saw crutchfield recommended http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z5nZtK0zQHW/c...amp;I=142SAC656 but the reviews aren't great for theser corollas. The model I'm working on is 93, which if I imagine, is similar to 97's.
The 7th generation Corollas are all very similar and go from 1993 to 1997.

The 7th generation Corollas are all very similar and go from 1993 to 1997.

Good to know. Do you know of any speaker adapters to get that work well with the stock assembly to fit standard mounting 5.25"s to the rear?

Topic List