Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By baadpuppy, February 18, 2007

Ok, I've had my 98 corolla ce for a month today, and I've been reading this forum for a bit less than that. The corolla is up to 148132 miles. I know the previous owner was religious about having the dealership do maintenance, but I don't know what kind of driving history it has had.

I've once replaced the plugs and wires with cheapos from autozone, but I suspect that wasn't the best option available.

Here's the work I know needs to be done:

• replace shocks/struts -- I'm thinking KYB GR-2s

• plugs -- Any particular brand or model? Currently have bosch platinum +2

• wires -- Any particular brand or model? Currently have Duralast

• cap/rotor -- not sure if a 98 has that or something fancier (HEI?), haven't really looked. Again, anything to recommend?

• brakes -- the left rear brake makes all sorts of racket. I suspect the front rotors might be warped. I want the most stopping power I can get. Recommendation?

• air/oil filters -- Any recommendation on which brand/model of these to get? I'd rather have quality that will do a great job as opposed to just saving money. Also, does the 98 have the interior cabin filter to worry about? My guess is no.

• oil -- Planning to switch to fully synthetic, thinking 5w30. This part of the country rarely has below 0F temps.

• Manual Transmission Fluid -- I think I read somewhere that Shell synthetic 75w90 was good? What do y'all recommend?

The battery seems fine, so I'm hesitant to change that any time soon. The serpentine belt also seems to be in good shape. Tires also have plenty of tread, almost look brand new.

Also, everything underhood got cleaned by the dealer, causing pitting of the aluminum bits. Is there something I can do to make it all look good again? I know looking good isn't the same as running good, but it is a bit annoying to pop the hood and see a nice clean but corroded looking engine.

Is there anything I've missed?

The other problems the car has are the evap system issue I've referred to earlier on here, and an exhaust leak behind the engine. I haven't tracked that down yet, but I'll have to get it fixed soon to pass inspection.

Thanks,

jim

gr2s are fine

stock denso plugs are fine, ngk or denso platinums will last longer.

stock wires are the bests

i run powerslot rotors with hawk hps pads, i have a pair of st165 celica calipers ready to be rebuilt and installed this spring. theyre 2 piston vs the 1 piston stock calipers

i got a KN dropin filter and a purolator pureone oil filter with mobil1 synthetic blend (the 7500 mile blend)

penzoil syncromesh is good gear oil

maybe to late to switch to synthetic oil. stick to whatever previous owner used. 98-99 engine well know for burning oil

No cap/rotor to worry about on your 98.

I picked up NGK plugs/wires for my 98 - no noticeable difference from stock performance.

Topic List