Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Trunk Light Out

by ycr99, February 17, 2007

Yesterday, after exiting the supermarket, I popped open my trunk to find myself in the dark, save for the parking lot lamps. Normally my trunk light is on, but the fact that it wasn't makes me suspect that the bulb burnt out, or it was so cold that it decided not to work for the time being.

I have not gone out the check again to see if this is an intermittent problem, or if it's really out...if it is out, can I use the same bulb that is used to light the interior lamp (the one one that lights up when a door is opened or when the car is first unlocked (using the keyless entry).

I am little disgruntled as I did get my car tuned up for $1475 3 months ago before moving up here (MI). I am hoping these parts don't wear out THAT fast...,but I guess these little things have nothing to do w/the tune up....

They (the dealership) could've fixed my gearbox light, but by then I wanted to save what cash i could...so I declined....(waiting for it to warm up enough so I can go home to Ohio and have it done with my dad).

What did you have to get fixed on your tune-up? My 60k servicing would have been about the same price if I had the stealerships do it. My devious double dealings with the devil (and my do it yourself attitude) cut that $1500 bill in half.

As for replacement of light; its probably the easiest light to replace on the entire car. All you need to do is open it little cage surrounding it. To do that, you push in on the little clip, then pull down. The clip should be on the right side looking in from the truck. The cage will come right off, but just be gentle with it as you pull down. Its a sold plastic piece connected to the whole light socket. The little bulb itself should come out with ease too. Once again, be gentle and patient with it since its about 1/20 the size of a regular household lightbulb. Finding a replacement one should be hard. You can either go online or go to a Toyota parts dealer. I get most of my replacement parts from http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com. The part probably costs about $1. Translate that into dealership fee, they would probably charge you about $20. The lightbulbs I bought for replacement behind my airconditioning display were about $2 each. The dealership was going to charge me about $70 to replace those 2 bulbs.

The lightbulb on your gearbox is definately worth your while to replace on your own. It does take alot of removal of plastic to get to it, but a dealer would probably charge you $85 or more if they did it. Dealers are like the burgeois upperclass, always doing everything they can to steal from the workers. I'm not going to hand my paychecks over to them and I encourage everyone else not to either.

Bikeman982

Yesterday, after exiting the supermarket, I popped open my trunk to find myself in the dark, save for the parking lot lamps. Normally my trunk light is on, but the fact that it wasn't makes me suspect that the bulb burnt out, or it was so cold that it decided not to work for the time being.

I have not gone out the check again to see if this is an intermittent problem, or if it's really out...if it is out, can I use the same bulb that is used to light the interior lamp (the one one that lights up when a door is opened or when the car is first unlocked (using the keyless entry).

I am little disgruntled as I did get my car tuned up for $1475 3 months ago before moving up here (MI). I am hoping these parts don't wear out THAT fast...,but I guess these little things have nothing to do w/the tune up....

They (the dealership) could've fixed my gearbox light, but by then I wanted to save what cash i could...so I declined....(waiting for it to warm up enough so I can go home to Ohio and have it done with my dad).

For light bulb replacements, it is always good to take the old one out and match it up to get a new one.

HOLY CATS!!!!!! what the heck did you get for $1500? a new car? i have never heard of ANY service costing that much! at my shop we could have rebuilt the transmission and probably even done a full service on the engine (providing it is a manual trans).

the trunk light bulb is probably a 194 bulb, very common and can be picked up almost anywhere.

on a side note, please don't knock all the dealerships. it really hurts to hear you guys had some bad experiences. as a toyota service manager, that tells me the places that give you all a bad taste in the mouth deserve to be run out of business. but, PLEASE, give us a chance. we do tend to be more expensive then national chain places, but we have higher overhead to pay for. we have the name to pay for, all signage is rented (not bought), we have to go continuosly to training, we are always taking tests online, it is endless the stuff we hve to do. my advice is once you find an honest dealer, stick with them. even though it may seem more expensive at first, remember we have the training and the knowledge to fix it right, usually in less time then the other guys.

all iask is, if you find someone who seems to be honest, pass the word. if you have your car worked on at the dealer, you may get a survey in the mail. please fill it out honestly. if you feel you got ripped, say so. if you feel you got excellent service, say so. trust me, if we all keep doing that, the bad dealerships will be run out. toyota is on a course to be #1, and they want to have a excellent reputation when they get there.

aaron

Sadly the $1475 was with a 10% off coupon I had for the dealership I went to. It was for my 60K service...replaced front rotors, pads, rear brakes were not replaced but repaired, fluids replaced (transmission, brake, etc.), belt replaced. default_unsure Our family has bought 3 cars from that dealership (not including my current car, which was bought from a private dealership, I don't know what to call this dealership I bought it from...he had 5 cars on his entire lot {OK, it wasn't a lot..it was a big garage} including my Corolla...actually my car was the newest of the cars there..the rest were BMW and Benzes from the late 80s, early 90s). However, my Corolla was in very good condition when I bought it.

It still is in decent condition now...being in a new town, I'm trying to figure out where the best car repair places...here I notice are ALOT of car repair places (like collision repair), but I have yet to find a car repair place that I feel I can trust completely.

Closest Toyota dealership to me is in Farmington Hills...(Metro-Detroit).

HOLY CATS!!!!!! what the heck did you get for $1500? a new car? i have never heard of ANY service costing that much! at my shop we could have rebuilt the transmission and probably even done a full service on the engine (providing it is a manual trans).the trunk light bulb is probably a 194 bulb, very common and can be picked up almost anywhere.

Actually I have nearly the exact same horror story, except while yrc99 handed the dealer $1500, I handed them my middle finger default_smile. I bought my Corolla from Wellesley Toyota (local toyota dealer here) back in April 05' when I was just graduating from High School. The car was a 98' LE with just 50k miles on it. Suddenly when it came time for the 60k servicing last Sept 06', the stealership told me on the phone they were going to charge me $1500 to fix my car up. The scumbag literally said "you can pay us right now or you can just pay us after we do the work". I told those jerks not to touch my car. The car needed a powersteering flush, new belts, new brake pads, new rotors, and new tires. I did the flush myself for $15, I got the brakes/rotors done at midas for $450, I got the belts done at another dealership for $120, and I bought/mounted the tires myself for $200 for all 4. I spent under $800 by NOT going to the dealers.

a side note, please don't knock all the dealerships. it really hurts to hear you guys had some bad experiences. as a toyota service manager, that tells me the places that give you all a bad taste in the mouth deserve to be run out of business. but, PLEASE, give us a chance. we do tend to be more expensive then national chain places, but we have higher overhead to pay for.
Well until I meet a dealer who isn't a scumbag, its kind of hard for me to think otherwise. I know for a fact you guys like to inflate problems way beyond they actually are in order to rob from the prolateriat. Wellesley Toyota would have charged me $140 to do a power steering flush. It cost me $15 of fluid and about 15 minutes to do it myself. The dealer last month was going to charge me $70 to replace 2 lightbulbs behind my airconditioning panel. It cost me $3 and about 30 minutes. To connect my spoiler light, they were going to charge me $89 and claimed it would take 1 hour. I did it myself in 5 minutes with a 50 cent wire clip from home depot. Its not just Toyota dealers. When I was looking for a car back in April 05', the Framingham Nissan dealer was probably the biggest leech I have ever met. I'll never forget his name, Justin Wainwright. He reminded me of an ambulance chasing lawyer. He played every game possible like the "other perspective buyers" claim and the "let me talk to my manager" routine. If he didn't jerk me around so much, I might have actually bought that 99' Nissan Sentra.

Bikeman982

Sadly the $1475 was with a 10% off coupon I had for the dealership I went to. It was for my 60K service...replaced front rotors, pads, rear brakes were not replaced but repaired, fluids replaced (transmission, brake, etc.), belt replaced. default_unsure Our family has bought 3 cars from that dealership (not including my current car, which was bought from a private dealership, I don't know what to call this dealership I bought it from...he had 5 cars on his entire lot {OK, it wasn't a lot..it was a big garage} including my Corolla...actually my car was the newest of the cars there..the rest were BMW and Benzes from the late 80s, early 90s). However, my Corolla was in very good condition when I bought it.

It still is in decent condition now...being in a new town, I'm trying to figure out where the best car repair places...here I notice are ALOT of car repair places (like collision repair), but I have yet to find a car repair place that I feel I can trust completely.

Closest Toyota dealership to me is in Farmington Hills...(Metro-Detroit).

Sounds more like a used car dealer, rather than a franchised dealership.

Most big dealers concentrate on selling the newer models and try to unload the older cars.

Leith Toyota in Raleigh, NC is relatively honest.

I was charged only $1.85 for a replacement dome lamp bulb.

Leith also advised me that changing my serpentine belt for noise was a waste of money since the belt was in good shape and noisy OEM belts are normal.

My independent mechanic was within $10 of the dealer price for changing the belt. I let him do it because he used a brand of belt with a different design. It's been much quieter.

The dealers aren't all bad.

Bikeman982

Leith Toyota in Raleigh, NC is relatively honest.

I was charged only $1.85 for a replacement dome lamp bulb.

Leith also advised me that changing my serpentine belt for noise was a waste of money since the belt was in good shape and noisy OEM belts are normal.

My independent mechanic was within $10 of the dealer price for changing the belt. I let him do it because he used a brand of belt with a different design. It's been much quieter.

The dealers aren't all bad.

Sounds like a good dealership Bob. He does not seem like he is trying to rip you off, or get extra business or money out of you.

If you live in the area - be sure to go to Leith Toyota in Raleigh and tell them Bob Levine sent you!

Topic List