Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Security Indicator Light On

Guest magicbane

I have a 2004 Corolla S and just recently I've noticed that my security indicator light is on all the time. It's on when the car is off, when I start the car and when I'm driving. Does anybody know what this means? I've checked the manual and it makes no mention of this. Any info about this would be greatly appreciated.

-Bane

Did you bother to check with the dealer/service center? Your car should still be under warranty. Even if it's not, they can probably answer a question like that pretty easily, right?

Bikeman982

Sounds like a short, but it could be a system malfunction.

Is there actually a security system in? On my Mom's Corolla, she has a security light that blinks, even though there isn't really a much of (if any) a security device installed. My mom thinks its for show to scare off potential intruders since the light blinks in a very visible way from the driver's window, even if the doors aren't locked.

Bikeman982

I have a 2004 Corolla S and just recently I've noticed that my security indicator light is on all the time. It's on when the car is off, when I start the car and when I'm driving. Does anybody know what this means? I've checked the manual and it makes no mention of this. Any info about this would be greatly appreciated.

-Bane

Is it on steady, or flashing??

• 1,424 posts
Is there actually a security system in? On my Mom's Corolla, she has a security light that blinks, even though there isn't really a much of (if any) a security device installed. My mom thinks its for show to scare off potential intruders since the light blinks in a very visible way from the driver's window, even if the doors aren't locked.

If your Mom's Corolla is a 2005 or later, that light isn't for show, and the car does have a security device on it. The key is encrypted, and that light indicates the status of the system. Off= disarmed, blinking= armed and steady means initializing or malfunction depending on whether it is on steady when you are starting the car or if it goes on steady and stays on all the time. Steady while starting is fine, other wise, they system isn't working.

The encryption means that the car has to have the encrypted keys in order to start. Trying to hot wire the car is pointless, because no matter what wires you cross, the fuel pump isn't pumping unless that encrypted key is present in the ignition switch.

The blinking light also serves as a break in deterrent, statistics prove that cars with visible security indicators such as blinking lights and stickers are less likely to be broken into, regardless if they have such a system or not.

Bikeman982

It is true that cars with security lights and stickers (put a few on your car) get stolen less than cars without them.

This will bump this topic up to the top again, but I figure better to do this than start a new topic. This blinking security indicator light thing has just recently started with my 2015 Corolla LE Eco. It has not happened before, it has just started. I went to the dealer and they said it is normal for the reasons cited above. Two techs said this. Is this really normal? If so, why have I not seen it before? It blinks when the car is turned off, whether or not the key is in the car.

• 110 posts

Here is link to Toyota owners for security light ...

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/dashboard-indicator-details/security-indicator/COMMCOMMON-1015

"

Security indicatorVehicles with a Smart Key System:

The indicator light flashes after the ENGINE START STOP switch has been turned off to indicate that the system is operating. The indicator light stops flashing after the ENGINE START STOP switch has been turned to ACCESSORY or IGNITION ON mode to indicate that the system has been canceled.

Vehicles without a Smart Key System:

The indicator light flashes after the key has been removed from the engine switch to indicate that the system is operating. The indicator light stops flashing after the registered key has been inserted into the engine switch to indicate that the system has been canceled."

Topic List