Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Gold101, February 11, 2007

Does anybody have any advice on cleaning out the throttle body on my 4a motor? It is burning up more oil than I believe it should and I have heard that cleaning the pcv valve and throttle body out usually solve this. Also hoping for minimal performance gains from this.

Bikeman982

Does anybody have any advice on cleaning out the throttle body on my 4a motor? It is burning up more oil than I believe it should and I have heard that cleaning the pcv valve and throttle body out usually solve this. Also hoping for minimal performance gains from this.
I used brake cleaner sprayed into the intake for my daughter's car. It cleaned it out very well.

There was a post stating that the best way to clean it was to remove it first.

Crankcase Ventilation valves are cheap. I wouldn't mess with cleaning it, just replace.

TB is best cleaned by pulling it from the engine and cleaning both sides with carb cleaner or something similar.

Is this a difficult project? How long should it take if someone were to guess?

It is easy.

Maybe an hour...

I would first recommend cleaning the throttle body with a TB cleaner designed specifically for TBs. Drape a rag under the TB prior to cleaning. While the engine is cold, spray the throttle plate when closed and then full open. Scrub the entire area with a soft toothbrush. Let everything sit for 15 minutes and start the car.....you might see some smoke for a couple of seconds.

TB Cleaner - You will want something that is sensor safe. Some TBs also have a coating from the factory that typical carb and choke cleaner will remove. I only use carb and choke cleaner (Gumout) on my TR6 carbs and to remove oil and grease stains from my garage floor.

Brake cleaner......I'd have to check the contents but I don't think it's a good idea. If it were called Throttle Body and Brake Cleaner I would give it a try.

I would suggest replacing the PCV with a Toyota PCV.

You should feel a difference in performance.

Topic List