Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Urgent Carfax Request

by tinto99, February 1, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

Hi to all.

I'm on the verge of buying a used 2006 Volvo S60. The dealer (Volvo dealer) gave me some UCDA (Ontario-based) report done in December. He seems reluctant to do a new one, ie. February.

Am I paranoid? Meantime, if somebody here has unlimited CarFax, can you please check my VIN?

YV1RS592162533811

I did a preliminary search and it shows 3 reports on this car, so I'm worried.

Thanks in advance.

Hi to all.

Thanks in advance.

If you live in Ontario you shouldn't have any worries. Every used vehicle must be sold with a history information package that is mandatory here. As for that carfax site....I typed in my vin number and it came back saying they're are two records on my car. I bought mine brand new and I'm sure that's some type of gimmick to make you buy their information.

Hi to all.

Thanks in advance.

If you live in Ontario you shouldn't have any worries. Every used vehicle must be sold with a history information package that is mandatory here. As for that carfax site....I typed in my vin number and it came back saying they're are two records on my car. I bought mine brand new and I'm sure that's some type of gimmick to make you buy their information.

Thanks Muzak.

I'm thinking of having the dealer write no accidents on the bill of sale as well.

What worries me is that his UCDA auto-check is dated Dec. 6, and he seems hesitant to run a new one.

By the history info package, do you mean the UVIP?

Thanks again.

• 1,424 posts
Looks clean to me. Only thing of interest to note is that it was most likely a fleet vehicle.

Fleet vehicle means lease most of the time, I would not worry about it. Volvo S60s aren't typically rental cars because they aren't the type of vehicle renters are looking for, they cost too much to rent.

tinto99,

I ran a carfax report for ya. Saved it as: YV1RS592162533811 carfax report

Looks clean to me. Only thing of interest to note is that it was most likely a fleet vehicle.

hope this helps,

jim

PS, I happen to have unlimited carfax reports until 2/15/2007 since I've been in the market for a car (and happily found my corolla).

Wow, how nice of you to do that for him. Don't carfax reports cost money? They charged me $20 when I did one on my car.

Bikeman982

tinto99,

I ran a carfax report for ya. Saved it as: YV1RS592162533811 carfax report

hope this helps,

jim

PS, I happen to have unlimited carfax reports until 2/15/2007 since I've been in the market for a car (and happily found my corolla).

Wow, how nice of you to do that for him. Don't carfax reports cost money? They charged me $20 when I did one on my car.

Some people have paid for unlimited CarFax.

Can someone do my latest e-Bay acquisition on CarFax??

VIN is 2T1AE09BXRC065824

Jim, you're awesome! I am so grateful, thanks very much! Not sure about the last report dated yesterday 'no recalls, open for repair', but I guess it looks clean.

Btw, it was a Hertz rental vehicle.

Thanks again!

Jim: While you're at it, and just out of curiosity, what's CARFAX have to say about my '03 Corolla:

JTDBR32E430021060

It should have a totally clean report, since I'm the original owner. But one never knows.

Tinto,

the dealer prob doesnt want to drop any more money into the car.

if its been on his lot since begining of dec, his reasoning is prob something like, "i have had this car on the lot for 2months, i ran a report on it. its only got 20-30km from people test driving it. i am losing money on this. give me a break."

What does CarFax tell you (other than if its been dammaged over $2k or not)?

I ran my first CarFax in Dec, and for me, other than it telling me that it was accident free, just left me with more questions.

$2k in dammages in a new car is not much dammage right? a new bumper & grill painted to match + labor will get you in the ballpark.

further, the car i picked up had a clean record, but there was some obvious damage. prob a very slight fender bender (small crack in signal light, bumper not aligned, and fender screws had been retightened. - upon CLOSER inspection, sheet metal not perfect).

I thought "Fleet" = rental car company (also some lease, some police vehicles, etc.).

99% of the fleet vehicles we deal with are rental companies...

tdk

There are disadvantages to buying "fleet" cars. I know one: rental car drivers beat the hell out of it. I had a friend who drive rental cars half his time because he works for a construction company and they require him to travel a lot. He would red-line the engine frequently, and do donuts on dirt roads. He doesn't let the engine warm up, and had the A/C blasting all the time. Basically, he "drove it like he stole it."

Tdk, you're right, he's tired off spending any more money on this vehicle. I also haggled him down quite a bit, and there was a lot of back and forth on this one, so he's frustrated that he can be so close to a sale, then have me request another report.

Anyway, Texasrolla, it is a rental, which I knew up front, but I figure this class rental at an airport outlet can't be beaten up too much. If it had been a Mustang, I'd worry more.

Thanks to all!

Jim,

Can I request one vin report on my car too? I am curious too now.

2T1BR12E3YC276588

Thanks so much.

Bikeman982

Can someone do my latest e-Bay acquisition on CarFax??

VIN is 2T1AE09BXRC065824

Here's your carfax report

These didn't cost me anything. I had already purchased the unlimited requests for 30 days option when I started seriously shopping for cars again Jan 15th.

Hope this helps,

jim

Thanks Jim,

It looks like my e-Bay purchase is in pretty good shape - other than a bad engine.

I will know better when I actually get the car in about 15 days.

Hi jim

Can you please run this Vin also. I am looking for toyota for a month and didnt find any..Now my carfax expired on 31st..

VIN: 4T1BG22K4VU168010

thanks a lot.

Racket

Bikeman982

Jim,

Can I request one vin report on my car too? I am curious too now.

2T1BR12E3YC276588

Thanks so much.

click here

I should mention I plan to remove all of these from my website on or after Feb 16, 2007. I recommend you save and/or print a copy.

jim

Thanks,

I have saved mine to my computer.

I should mention I plan to remove all of these from my website on or after Feb 16, 2007. I recommend you save and/or print a copy.jim

If you charge people a buck a copy, you might be able to make some profit. Now that's a business idea!

K_Watson

I would really appreciate it if you could run mine also. Thanks.

1Y1SK5282WZ418076

K_Watson

I would really appreciate it if you could run mine also. Thanks.

1Y1SK5282WZ418076

here ya go

jim

Thats what I was hoping not to see. Rental vehicle. Had I know this I may not have bought it.

Hi Jim,

I wonder if Carfax list my old '98 Corolla to be reported "stolen" somewhere in march 2002...

Can you make that check too?

2T1BR12E0WC714853

I'm also livingin Canada... maybe they list cars in the US only...

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Jim,

I wonder if Carfax list my old '98 Corolla to be reported "stolen" somewhere in march 2002...

Can you make that check too?

2T1BR12E0WC714853

I'm also livingin Canada... maybe they list cars in the US only...

Thanks in advance!!!

here ya go

jim

Wow, nothing about my car being stolen in march 2002. My Corolla was found 2 weeks later, but I thought it should be something to be on a report like Carfax...

Thanks again, Jim.

oh, when I put the mouse pointer over the word "Salvage" on the page, it says this:

" [...] The following ten States also use Salvage titles to identify stolen vehicules - AZ FL GA IL MD MN NJ NM NY OK OR"

I'm not living in any of those states, so it's maybe why they doesn't have any trace of the steal.

Hi, Jim.

I was wondering if I could impose upon you to run the VIN Numbers of our family cars through CarFax. If you can't do them all, they are ranked in importance from top to bottom. The very first one is the most important of all, since it is our most recently purchased vehicle. The top two are Corolla/Prizm cars relative to this site and the other one is my old Oldsmobile Cutlass. I am very curious because the free, unfinished "teaser" CarFax page lists 14 hits on my Corolla alone. Thanks for any information that you may provide!!!

The VIN Numbers are:

2T1BR12E1YC360036

1Y1SK5280VZ459515

and if you have time......

1G3GR47Y4FP338220

Again, thanks. I really appreciate it!!

timkedz

Thanks, Jim!!!! You're the best!!!!! I really, really appreciate it!!!!! default_smile

No problem about the "getting back to you" time, I'm very appreciative that you took the time to check on the VINs. As long as your trip to/from Annapolis was a safe one, that's all that really matters!!!

By the way, yes, you are right that I'm not too happy about the first VIN report, but, in all fairness, I must admit that I had known about the Salvage title, so it wasn't a complete shock. I bought the car from a guy that repairs cars and this car was a complete creampuff before it was involved in an accident. In fact, I had seen the car before it was repaired and the damage was mostly superficial sheet metal damage. The main body structure was undamaged. It was just enough to total it in Illinois. I know it's a big risk, but, I got a good price on it. It had only 34k miles on it, and was never smoked in. In the six months or so that I've had it, she's been running pretty well! (Knock on wood!!!)

The Prizm was bought new by us, so I know that VIN should be clean!! One accident, (minor)and that was done by me.

The Cutlass was my old car that I sold. I wanted to make sure that the guy that bought it from me actually reregistered in his own name! Can't be too careful nowadays!!!

Anyway, thanks again for doing me the favor, Jim!!! default_smile It is greatly appreciated!!!

By the way, congratulations on getting the tachometer in your Corolla. I finally have one in my car too and I don't know how I managed to get along without it!!

Regards,

timkedz

Hi, Jim.

I was wondering if I could impose upon you to run the VIN Numbers of our family cars through CarFax. If you can't do them all, they are ranked in importance from top to bottom. The very first one is the most important of all, since it is our most recently purchased vehicle. The top two are Corolla/Prizm cars relative to this site and the other one is my old Oldsmobile Cutlass. I am very curious because the free, unfinished "teaser" CarFax page lists 14 hits on my Corolla alone. Thanks for any information that you may provide!!!

The VIN Numbers are:

2T1BR12E1YC360036

1Y1SK5280VZ459515

and if you have time......

1G3GR47Y4FP338220

Again, thanks. I really appreciate it!!

timkedz

I don't think you'll like the first one.

here goes...

2T1BR12E1YC360036

1Y1SK5280VZ459515

1G3GR47Y4FP338220

Sorry it took me so long, I had to go to annapolis today, and only got home a little while ago.

jim

Bikeman982

My daughter's car (I bought from e-Bay) had a "salvage" title.

The used car dealer that sold it said it would not make a difference.

I got it cheap and the car looked and ran fine.

What does "salvage" mean and how does it affect anything like insurance, registration, etc??

By the way, congratulations on getting the tachometer in your Corolla. I finally have one in my car too and I don't know how I managed to get along without it!!

Actually, the original instrument panel is back in the car at the moment. There's sufficient changes between my 98 and whichever year model the replacement was from that I was concerned about continueing to run it in the vehicle. While I've identified most of the changes, I'm still not happy with it.

In any case, I should soon have another instrument cluster to play with. Once it gets here, I hope to work out all the kinks. Either it'll be 100% compatible with mine, or more likely it'll be more like my replacement one and have about 2 to 4 pins different. In that case, I'll just have to cut a few traces and solder in a few links to make things work correctly in my 98.

jim

Topic List