Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Camry?

By markcorolla, January 30, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

First of all, I prefer stick, I have a Corrolla LE 5 speed. But the wife and I need a bigger car, and the Camry is what we like except I do not like the automatic transmission. There seems to be lots of problems with them. She seems willing to take the gamble with buying the automatic, even with the problems. I would rather purchase a stick Camry and avoid these problems, but my wife is still not happy about driving a stick. She says that even though she can drive a stick (once in a while she drives mine if she has to), she is not comfortable with it and is not sure she would be able to live with driving a stick everyday. What can I do to convince her to get a stick?

Tell her stick uses less gasoline; thereby saving money, lessening our dependence on terrorist oil, and helping to reduce global warming.

Tell her stick uses less gasoline; thereby saving money, lessening our dependence on terrorist oil, and helping to reduce global warming.

Thanks, already tried that one.

Do you know what type of problems the automatics are having???

First of all, I prefer stick, I have a Corrolla LE 5 speed. But the wife and I need a bigger car, and the Camry is what we like except I do not like the automatic transmission. There seems to be lots of problems with them. She seems willing to take the gamble with buying the automatic, even with the problems. I would rather purchase a stick Camry and avoid these problems, but my wife is still not happy about driving a stick. She says that even though she can drive a stick (once in a while she drives mine if she has to), she is not comfortable with it and is not sure she would be able to live with driving a stick everyday. What can I do to convince her to get a stick?

Promise her that with the money yall will save on a stick, you'll buy her a diamond and jewelry or whatever she really likes.

Do you know what type of problems the automatics are having???

Lots of reports about long hesitation upon depressing the accelerator pedal, jerky shifting, etc. It is all over the internet.

The downside to automatic is the lower fuel economy, the extra weight it carrys with the hydraulic system, and the lower performance it achieves compared to manual, but its not that all automatic transmission systems are bad, its that hydraulic transmission lacks in many ways. I have that problem of jerking with my Corolla alot. Try driving an automatic Lexus and its smooth all the way. Its just that Toyota cheaps out on the lower end cars like Corollas and Camrys. Alot of new technologies, designs, and transmission types are coming out which exceed hydraulic automatic.

Personally, I think Toyota should convert all Corollas to Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). Honda already has gone to CVT for the Civic and Nissan has gone completed to CVT for the Sentra, Altima, and Maxima. It runs smoothly, its simpler to build, and its more fuel efficient. The only major drawback is that it can't be applied to larger engines like V8s because the power of a V8 would snap the belts, but that doesn't matter for us Corolla and Camry drivers.

Another great system is Tiptronic, or "E-Shift" as they call it by Lexus. Unfortunately Toyota only makes it for Lexus cars.

Do you really want your transmission to be belt driven? I say no thanks. I don't want to have to change belt every 80kmi, like timing belts. What a hassle that would be.

default_laugh its more of a chain than a belt, and it doesn't need maintenance beyond what a normal transmission does. CVT's have been in use for decades in other forms in other vehicles and have been very reliable.

Bikeman982

Tell her that only lazy people drive automatics.

• 1,424 posts
She seems willing to take the gamble with buying the automatic, even with the problems. I would rather purchase a stick Camry and avoid these problems, but my wife is still not happy about driving a stick. She says that even though she can drive a stick (once in a while she drives mine if she has to), she is not comfortable with it and is not sure she would be able to live with driving a stick everyday.

If it is going to be her daily driver and she wants an automatic, just buy her one. If you're not going to be driving the car on a daily basis, then why should your wife have to drive what you want just because you want it? Put the shoe on the other foot, what if your wife made you buy a slushbox Corolla because for the three times a year she wanted to drive it, she didn't want to drive stick? How would you feel about that?

Bikeman982

She seems willing to take the gamble with buying the automatic, even with the problems. I would rather purchase a stick Camry and avoid these problems, but my wife is still not happy about driving a stick. She says that even though she can drive a stick (once in a while she drives mine if she has to), she is not comfortable with it and is not sure she would be able to live with driving a stick everyday.

If it is going to be her daily driver and she wants an automatic, just buy her one. If you're not going to be driving the car on a daily basis, then why should your wife have to drive what you want just because you want it? Put the shoe on the other foot, what if your wife made you buy a slushbox Corolla because for the three times a year she wanted to drive it, she didn't want to drive stick? How would you feel about that?

I agree - if the car is for the wife, get her what she wants - otherwise she will not be happy.

Modern automatic transmissions do not really present any significant disadvantages over manual transmissions. They require relatively little maintainence, mainly draining/replacing the fluid at fairly lengthy intervals, usually 30,000 miles. They don't reduce fuel economy enough to negate their benefits in reduced driver fatigue, particularly in stop-and-go city traffic, where a 5-speed manual gets really old really fast. My first Corolla was a 5-speed, and considering the literally 100% city driving I do, it offered no clear benefit in increased fuel economy. However, due to the very stiff hydraulic clutch, it was quite a pain to be rowing through all those gears allmost continuously.

On the few long trips I make, my '03 Corolla's automatic yields literally the same fuel economy as the 5-speed did. To claim that you could buy your wife diamonds and jewelry with the savings you'd get from the stick over the auto, you'd have to be able to convince her that the diamonds and jewelry you can get from that Cracker Jack box are the real thing!

The choice between auto and stick really comes down to one thing -- personal preference based on a perception that driving a stick is more fun than driving an automatic. If I were driving a true sports car, that had the performance and handling which one would expect in a sports car, then I'd want the stick shift in order to get the whole effect. However, in a daily driving grocery-getter, that kind of driving experience simply doesn't apply. Moreover, women don't generally drive for fun -- they rarely, if ever, take driving seriously at all, as I see by the way most women appear to be more involved in talking on cell phones than engaging in the act of driving. A stick shift would only increase their distraction level, so why take that risk?

I'd say that one would need to be consistently getting a 10% or better fuel economy benefit before the increased driver workload of a stick over an auto could be justified. In my own experience with two Corollas with each type of transmission, that was definitely not the case. There was, for all practical purposes, no decrease in fuel economy, but there was a significant increase in driver convenience. Until the day comes when I can afford to buy a second car simply for it's fun-to-drive characteristics, I'll "stick" to the automatic.

Bikeman982

Get the automatic for her. It may not have many problems and it is what she prefers.

Sorry Mark,

Survey says... get an auto.

I didnt know that Camry's came in stick until last summer.

(I had an opportunity to test the old camry for a couple hrs.)

tdk

My parents just bought an '07 Camry. The main reason they went with Toyota is because of my experience with my new '98 Corolla. Of course, they both wanted an automatic. Oh well, can't have everything.

I participated in the test driving of the '07 Corolla, and really liked it. Then we tested the Camry, and it was an amazing difference. Much roomier, quieter, and ABS standard.

They ended up with the 4 cylinder model. I was pleasantly surprised at just how well it does considering it is a 4 cylinder attached to an automatic in a car that isn't exactly light weight. The funky automatic sporty-shifting feature is annoying though. Both my parents rest their hand on the shifter and keep knocking it into neutral accidentally. Also, shifter movement pattern is quite annoying. Other than that though, it's an awesome car.

I believe your wife will be happiest with the transmission she wants, and all the other reasons people have given are valid. Also, it really isn't so bad. It is still fun to drive, just not as fun as a stick.

While I liked driving it, I have to admit I like my 98 corolla better. Less distractions and less glowing things in the interior to hurt my eyes at night.

Oh, and I believe my 98 Corolla is a quieter ride than the 07 Corolla was. The Camry beats them both though.

jim

Bikeman982

The Camry is more expensive than the Corolla and is a better choice, if you have the additional money.

Just an update -

She is still considering the stick, especially after she did a lot of reading on various websites about the automatic transmission problems with the new Camry. I'm not pushing, just hoping! Personally, I would not have a problem with the automatic, (I would still have my manual Corolla!)but there seem to be problems with them. Other than the transmission, the Camry is perfect.

What problems with the automatic Camry?? My Dad bought an automatic 06' Camry SE last year and it hasn't broken down or had any major problems. Are we talking about the new 6th gen Camry specifically or just newer Camrys in general?

What problems with the automatic Camry?? My Dad bought an automatic 06' Camry SE last year and it hasn't broken down or had any major problems. Are we talking about the new 6th gen Camry specifically or just newer Camrys in general?

The '07 Camrys. Any webstite, like Edmunds or MSN autos, or Yahoo autos, etc. will give you details.

Bikeman982

The '07 Camrys. Any webstite, like Edmunds or MSN autos, or Yahoo autos, etc. will give you details.

Get her a left-over 2006 and save yourself some money, while avoiding the 2007 problems.

Wow, I didn't realize the new Camry was that bad. I hope Toyota fixes these problems soon. I don't want to see the Accord come back to power. I hate that car so much!

• 1,424 posts

Wow, I didn't realize the new Camry was that bad. I hope Toyota fixes these problems soon. I don't want to see the Accord come back to power. I hate that car so much!

What exactly was wrong with the bulletproof 5 speed auto that they used on the 2005 model? It seems to me that to add 2 speeds that don't improve fuel economy substantially and a sport shift feature that 99.9% of Camry buyers won't know how to use was a waste, especially if it causes reliability issues.

Toyota should stop trying to make driver's cars and stick to what they know best, vanilla transportation appliances. People buy Toyotas for their fuel economy, reliability and dependability. If they want a car with a soul, they'll buy a Mazda or something else and live with the reliability issues those cars bring. Toyota will lose their market if they don't do what is expected of them.

As for the Accord, in its current state, it is a fine car. Earlier models had transaxle problems, but they rectified that. Now it is one of the best and most reliable family sedans around. The coupe isn't too bad either. Why would you dislike such a fine car?

Bikeman982

I see a lot of Hondas being driven around. The Accord seems pretty common.

There are probably more Hondas around here than Toyotas.

Trust me, there are alot more Toyotas out there than Hondas. Toyota produces roughly 7.1 million cars/light commercial vehicles each year, the 2nd largest in the world after GM which makes about 9 million. Honda is ranked 8th in the world at about 3.3 million each year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_autom...by_manufacturer

I don't like the new Honda Accord design, with those big, ugly taillights. I guess its that I don't like Honda in general. Its just my personal bias. Thier designs and cars are just bland and unoriginal. In my opinion, Toyota/Lexus has made much better cars than Honda/Acura. Toyota has made so many legendary cars like the Supra, the Celica, the Lexus SC400, and the Lexus LS400. Along with that, the Corolla has maintained itself as the most successful and best selling nameplate in automotive history at 32 million. The Civic is far behind at just 16 million. Also, the Camry has been the best selling car in the last 10 years, taking the lead over the Accord. Sure Honda makes reliable cars as well, but it takes more than reliablity to create legends.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else