Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Corolla Irregular Revs When Cold

by partyone, January 23, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

My '06 Corolla is going into Toyota for this problem on Sunday night.

Is your car a stick or auto?

As you know I drive a 2005 LE, which is an automatic, and I've never had my car do anything but idle perfectly.

Sometimes it takes a while to start, but nothing excessive, and nothing different from other Toyotas. I'm just used to cars that start faster like V8 Fords.

It's an '06 CE, Auto. I wish it were a 5 spd! It sometimes takes up to 9 or 10 cranks to start, but once it's going is usually fine. Like I said, intermitently it will start up like it's warm, then realize that it's not and hunt for an idle. I'm starting to wonder whether or not it's actually worth bringing it into the dealer and wasting my time, especially from what I'm reading here.

UPDATE

Gas mileage dramatically improved after the reflash - over 5 mpg.

No more hunting idle.

Recommend all customers with problem get the TSB done.

Bikeman982

UPDATE

No more hunting idle.

Wow. Good solution. Wonder if it is permanent?

UPDATE

No more hunting idle.

My winter mileage used to drop considerably. Since I do almost 100% city driving, the crazy warmup cycle would hit me harder than those with different usage patterns.

The revving up to 2K RPM and the repeated "goosing" fluctuations could certainly waste fuel.

Looks like Toyota got it right.

Bikeman982

UPDATE

No more hunting idle.

My winter mileage used to drop considerably. Since I do almost 100% city driving, the crazy warmup cycle would hit me harder than those with different usage patterns.

The revving up to 2K RPM and the repeated "goosing" fluctuations could certainly waste fuel.

Looks like Toyota got it right.

I usually start the car up and when safe to do so (window clear, etc.), slowly drive it until it is warm.

Sitting with the car running and not moving really does cut down on your MPG rate.

I know this is an old post, but I've been struggling with this problem for years, and finally fixed it. My 2005 Corolla CE with manual transmission also had this "out-of-control" revving when it was cold outside (like 20 degrees F). As I would pull up to the first stop sign or red light, the engine would rev between 800 and 2200 rpm, back and forth, like I was challenging the other drivers to a race. Once the engine warmed up, it would quit this behavior. The check engine light finally came on one day (15 degrees) while at a red light. It was a P0171 code (too lean). I had already replaced the MAF and front oxygen sensor, but problem continued. A post on ToyotaNation clued me into the intake manifold gasket. A $10 part which was fairly simple to install (about 1.5 hours to pull off intake manifold, clean and replace gasket, then put it all back on. Torque bolts to 15 ft-lbs). The old rubber gasket was hard as a rock, and on cold days, it shrunk up and let air get sucked into the engine without going past the MAF (this is known as unmetered air - and confuses the computer as it makes decisions). Hope this will help others. I bought this car in June 2004, and the problem started showing in December 2007.

Exactly the same as my 2004. We get -40 here so the erratic cold reving happens alot. check engine light came on today after 7 years.. My question is it ok to drive the car as is with the check engine light on and a bad intake gasket for a few weeks until i get around to fixing it? Thx

I know this is an old post, but I've been struggling with this problem for years, and finally fixed it. My 2005 Corolla CE with manual transmission also had this "out-of-control" revving when it was cold outside (like 20 degrees F). As I would pull up to the first stop sign or red light, the engine would rev between 800 and 2200 rpm, back and forth, like I was challenging the other drivers to a race. Once the engine warmed up, it would quit this behavior. The check engine light finally came on one day (15 degrees) while at a red light. It was a P0171 code (too lean). I had already replaced the MAF and front oxygen sensor, but problem continued. A post on ToyotaNation clued me into the intake manifold gasket. A $10 part which was fairly simple to install (about 1.5 hours to pull off intake manifold, clean and replace gasket, then put it all back on. Torque bolts to 15 ft-lbs). The old rubber gasket was hard as a rock, and on cold days, it shrunk up and let air get sucked into the engine without going past the MAF (this is known as unmetered air - and confuses the computer as it makes decisions). Hope this will help others. I bought this car in June 2004, and the problem started showing in December 2007.

Should be OK - as others were in the same boat as you until a fix was discovered. Since this only happens when the gasket is cold, would only be an issue on cold startups. Once the engine warms up - that gasket will soften and seal like it should. But that will only be temporary - will need to replace the gasket to prevent possible future engine damage. Waiting a few weeks won't hurt the engine.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)