Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Stock Hubcaps

by muzak, January 22, 2007

My wife lost a hubcap from our '03 Echo a few days after having service done to it. I was under the impression that they were less than a hundred bucks for 4....but no...about $100 each, plus tax!! I would think that my 15" Corolla would even be more costly. Heck, I paid about $560 for my 4 rims....installed, including tax.

No wonder I see so many nice cars driving around in the winter without their hubcaps. Mine are coming off my snows and I'm buying a cheap set at Canadian Tire this week.

I will see the manager tomorrow about restitution as this happened right after having the snows installed a few weeks ago.

checked ebay?

for the echo why not just get some ultra lightweight alloy wheels to save more on gas default_wink

Bikeman982

I always get the cheap plastic ones from e-Bay.

They don't cost $100 each and they can get replaced easier that stock ones, when they fall off.

Some dealers sell the plastic caps on ebay. Have bought several new sets of 4 at less than $50 delivered.

The dealers essentially get them free when they upgrade incoming cars to alloy wheels. Buyer gets no credit for the standard caps the dealer never even unwraps.

My wife lost a hubcap from our '03 Echo a few days after having service done to it. I was under the impression that they were less than a hundred bucks for 4....but no...about $100 each, plus tax!!

Is the dealer hubcap made out of chrome or 14 karat gold or something?

I got a pair of 15" cap from a Scion in my garage, and I was going to toss it away. Now, I know they are worth more than their weigh in gold.

Oh Narn?!! I don't know what to do. I don't know whether to spend $100 on each stock plastic hubcap...or buy a set of 4 OEM identical ones from the local dealership for $62.00 total for all four. Apparently the difference is in the quality of plastic.

I hate hubcaps, they are so tacky looking. The best decision I made was to install OEM alloy rims on my Corolla. They cost me $150 each, but it was worth it. Nevermind not having to deal with lost hubcaps, they just look better. I would suggest that to anyone and everyone else.

Bikeman982

You can change your rims to custom rims that do not require hubcaps, or you can buy expensive ones from a dealer.

I buy the cheap plastic ones from e-Bay and just get cheap replacements when they decide to go on their own while driving.

My wife is also notorious by returning home from work with one less hubcap. I keep some spares in my garage.

I hate hubcaps, they are so tacky looking. The best decision I made was to install OEM alloy rims on my Corolla. They cost me $150 each, but it was worth it. Nevermind not having to deal with lost hubcaps, they just look better. I would suggest that to anyone and everyone else.
I do have rims installed on my 3 season tires and only use my snow tires on the stock rims for the winter. Yes, I do agree rims look better, but mine hibernate for a few months every year.

Bikeman982

I do have rims installed on my 3 season tires and only use my snow tires on the stock rims for the winter. Yes, I do agree rims look better, but mine hibernate for a few months every year.

So you only need the hubcap for the stock rims that have your snow tires mounted on them. You use those rims only for the winter months and have custom wheels for the rest of the year. Sounds like a cheap replacement would work for you, too.

Agreed..forget about 'stealership' for non-critical parts like covers and mudflaps. Dealers around me wanted an obscene amount of money for them..ended up getting OEM-style covers for like $25 for all 4 and 4 OEM mudflaps off evilbay for $50 for all 4..dealer wanted like $50 each..lol

Bikeman982

My son would rather have no hubcaps than the cheap silver looking ones I had for him from e-Bay, so I suggested he paint them a color he wanted -

He ended up painting the cheap hubcaps black with spray paint and he is happy with the look. It matches his charcoal grey color of the car.

hey guys, anything you buy from the dealer is a ripp off,

I bought those plastic fasteners for the under the engine plastic shields,,,

they were $2.80 CDs each, they look like thumb tacks except they are made of

plastic.

Now, those things look like they cost a penny to make in China.

Dealer broke them changing spark plugs on son's 03 LE. Didn't take out the stubs and replace.

I went back and parts person gave me 4 free ones since I said I'd change them myself.

Ti-Jean

Check e-Bay muzak.

I got a nice new set-in-the-box 15" Corolla S hubcaps for my CE last year for about $50. shipping included to Canada.

Those go on my stock 3 season wheels and I bought a cheap set at Wal-Mart for my winter wheels.

Never lost a wheel cover in more than 25 years. Probably because I always change my wheels myself and take a close look at my hubcaps if I have to go for new tires for example.

Bikeman982

Check e-Bay muzak.

I got a nice new set-in-the-box 15" Corolla S hubcaps for my CE last year for about $50. shipping included to Canada.

Those go on my stock 3 season wheels and I bought a cheap set at Wal-Mart for my winter wheels.

Never lost a wheel cover in more than 25 years. Probably because I always change my wheels myself and take a close look at my hubcaps if I have to go for new tires for example.

My wife constantly loses hubcaps, mostly due to rough steering on the curves.

I make it a habit to do a quick look at my hubcaps before I get in my car.

If they look like they are coming off, I give them a little tap to get them back on the rims.

Topic List