Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By BabyBird200, January 18, 2007

I was thinking about getting a new battery for my car since I just got a new audio system put in and I plan to add some other things. I read up on the two optimas and I don't which one would be better for my application, what would you guys suggest?

Bikeman982

I was thinking about getting a new battery for my car since I just got a new audio system put in and I plan to add some other things. I read up on the two optimas and I don't which one would be better for my application, what would you guys suggest?
Are you rating the quality of a battery based on it's color?

Most batteries have a life limit and the cost depends on how long it will last.

I always buy the one with the longest life, since I hope it will last longer, and also the prorated refund will be more if it doesn't.

Batteries also have a starting or cranking power amount and the better ones have a higher rating.

In this case, the colors actually mean something. Just get the red. It has a longer warranty, it's cheaper and it is more then enough for a normal aftermarket stereo. The yellow is for massive stereo's with probably over 500 watts of power, lots of subs and amps. If you have something so crazy installed in your car, then get the yellow.

Bikeman982

In this case, the colors actually mean something. Just get the red. It has a longer warranty, it's cheaper and it is more then enough for a normal aftermarket stereo. The yellow is for massive stereo's with probably over 500 watts of power, lots of subs and amps. If you have something so crazy installed in your car, then get the yellow.
How do you know about the meaning of the color?

I've shopped for them.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/opt...automotive.html

I have a yellow top on my turbo car because my stereo and fuel pump runs off the battery. If I could go back, I would just save a few buxs and get the red top.

Going off the top if my head, I think the red top has a three year warranty and the yellow top has a 1 year.

lol 2 12 in JL w3s, new 6x9s. mids, tweeters and deck. and a 700W amp. so my guess is yellow then?

That's not too bad - a Optima Red should still be OK. If you plan on running the system for an extended period with the engine OFF - then that would be a good reason to spring for the Optima Yellow.

blue top marine would be more ideal for extended audio usage with the engine off. its a deeper cycle battery than even the yellow top, however its also larger and would need remote mounting i believe.

lol 2 12 in JL w3s, new 6x9s. mids, tweeters and deck. and a 700W amp. so my guess is yellow then?

What amp(s) are you running? Are you running 700 real watts, or peak watts? 700 real watts would bust your ear drums if you turned it up.

What amp(s) are you running? Are you running 700 real watts, or peak watts? 700 real watts would bust your ear drums if you turned it up.

I have no idea fish, it;s not like I have a counter.

Bikeman982

So the color coding is only for Optima batteries?

What's the price difference?

So the color coding is only for Optima batteries?What's the price difference?

Other batteries might have a color system, but it's not a standard. Most don't, but I've seen other batteries that are colored. I don't know what the colors mean though.

I think the price difference from Red to Yellow is about $50 or so. I got mine from Sam's club and I think it cost me about $20 under MSRP. I'm very happy with mine. For some reason, a battery never seemed to last very long in my car. Even a Die Hard. I finally spent a few more buxs and this battery hasn't ever frozen on me at 15 below zero, and it's cold cranking amps is great. No lag, no slow cranking, etc. I've had mine for at least 3 years now.

I've heard even the red tops dont fit right in the Corollas... Online the Optima web site doesnt show a fit for the 02 corolla default_sad

Bikeman982

I bought a new battery for my 1994 and it seems like it is too tall for the space.

It does fit in there, but is a little high. It is the best battery that AutoZone had.

The top is yellow - does that mean anything?

I bought a new battery for my 1994 and it seems like it is too tall for the space.It does fit in there, but is a little high. It is the best battery that AutoZone had.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/opt...ve/starter.html

here bikeman, here is info on their site about the differences. seems like red is more for higher perfomance vehicles. tell me what you would suggest based on this data, seems like red is better for crank power and yellow for electric demand.

Bikeman982

I bought a new battery for my 1994 and it seems like it is too tall for the space.It does fit in there, but is a little high. It is the best battery that AutoZone had.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/opt...ve/starter.html

here bikeman, here is info on their site about the differences. seems like red is more for higher perfomance vehicles. tell me what you would suggest based on this data, seems like red is better for crank power and yellow for electric demand.

I have seen the website for Optima batteries and realize there is a difference for their colors.

I have to believe that there are also other batteries that may be just as good, if not better available.

If it is a choice of just the Optima batteries, and you plan on keeping the car, get the best one (yellow), which is probably more expensive than the red one.

It would probably better support the greater amperage drain due to any accessories you have added.

ODD...

Their battery finder only had a match for my 2001 Trans Am..and then it needs an adapter..

Nothing on my,

1997 Corolla

2003 F250 Ford

1999 Acura TL

Do they not want to supply the mainstream...??

Just an FYI....

I put a Exide Orbital select (AGM) type battery in my TA and it has worked great...Fit better than the Optima and less expensive..... default_happy

Chris

Bikeman982

ODD...Their battery finder only had a match for my 2001 Trans Am..and then it needs an adapter..

Nothing on my,

1997 Corolla

2003 F250 Ford

1999 Acura TL

Just an FYI....

I put a Exide Orbital select (AGM) type battery in my TA and it has worked great...Fit better than the Optima and less expensive..... default_happy

Chris

My search did not produce one for 1995 - 2004 Corolla.

It seems like that would be a market they would want a piece of.

ODD...Their battery finder only had a match for my 2001 Trans Am..and then it needs an adapter..

Nothing on my,

1997 Corolla

2003 F250 Ford

1999 Acura TL

Just an FYI....

Chris

My search did not produce one for 1995 - 2004 Corolla.

It seems like that would be a market they would want a piece of.

I agree...

They follow the standard battery group sizes for fitment. Unfortunantly, I think it is a matter of them updating the website with more current information. The only vehicles they have any fitment for seems to be cars, trucks, and vans that they have sponsored before in various different events. If you go to a Optima distributor - they will more current fitments.

They follow the standard battery group sizes for fitment. Unfortunantly, I think it is a matter of them updating the website with more current information. The only vehicles they have any fitment for seems to be cars, trucks, and vans that they have sponsored before in various different events. If you go to a Optima distributor - they will more current fitments.

Yes, I suppose...

I really prefer the Exide Orbital series though...

Less expensive and has a conventional shape....The Optima would need adapters for my TA..

The Orbital was exact fit for a 35/75 series...

Chris..

Bikeman982

When choosing a battery -

1. Make sure it will fit physically.

2. Make sure it will provide sufficient cranking power.

3. Make sure it has proper power output.

4. Consider the warranty and life expectancy.

5. Shop for best price.

That's just a list off the top of my head and there may be more considerations.

I've got a red top in my 05 le and it works perfect. I'm using it to power a 700 watt amp that I'm running 2 12's to. I got mine for 100 bucks but I heard that the price just went up and I'm not sure of the cost but it's worth the investment for anyone who's thinking about installing afermarket electronics(unless you wanna get jumped after a few hours of the engine not running).

Bikeman982

Most batteries will get drain after a while, if accessories are left on and the car is not running.

The battery is draining and not getting charged. It is better not to use any electrics with the car off.

Short time operations is not of major concern, unless it is frequently done.

Topic List