Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Anyone Know About Obx Iridium Plugs?

by taewa, January 17, 2007

I know this is kind of a random question, but does anyone know anything about OBX Iridium plugs? I have a 2000 Corolla LE that requires Iridium plugs. These are supposedly "racing" plugs, which I couldn't care less about, but I just want reliable plugs that are spec and will hold up. Does anyone have any experience with these, or know how well they work, or anything to watch out for? Someone is offering them for about 1/2 of what I would pay at Autozone for the the Denso/Bosch set.

I know this is kind of a random question, but does anyone know anything about OBX Iridium plugs? I have a 2000 Corolla LE that requires Iridium plugs. These are supposedly "racing" plugs, which I couldn't care less about, but I just want reliable plugs that are spec and will hold up. Does anyone have any experience with these, or know how well they work, or anything to watch out for? Someone is offering them for about 1/2 of what I would pay at Autozone for the the Denso/Bosch set.

Iridium plugs.

ONLY ONLY purchase denso or NGK.

Bosch or any other mfr plug will and I have seen it Make your car run bad and short out your coils and or wires.And only purchase toyota wires.

You guys can short cut alot of thing but plugs and wires and water pumps are not one of them.

Had a lady have a tune-up and within 100 miles it was spitting and sputtering.Replace the plugs with denso and WOW no missing for another 60k miles.(platinum plugs)

Matrix Tech - Good to know. I appreciate the input. I had read some posts about ruining coils before, that is why I was skeptical. You mentioned platinum in your post though. The Haynes manual says that 2000 and newer (which includes my car) require Iridium. Don't you recommend staying with specs for the same (ruin coil) reason?

Bikeman982

I recommend going with what the spec's require.

Go with the two recommended plugs by Toyota, listed in the Owner's manual. They list both a Denso and NGK part number there. Some people like Splitfires, Bosch+4, OBX, etc - but I've personally didn't find anything I liked with any of those.

OBX is a big aftermarket manufacturer - but they seem to have very spotty quality - sometimes they make an excellent part, sometimes they make a nightmare part, even for the same component.

Splitfire uses an old racer's trick of splitting or clipping the electrode to introduce the flame kernal to more of the air/fuel mix - Denso and NGK does a similar thing with a fine wire electrode design and last much long than the Splitfires.

Bosch is all together in another place - plain platinum plugs from Bosch are great - but the multi-electrode designs (Bosch+2, Bosch+4) have some serious issues. One they are hard to gap correctly (suppose dto be gapped from the manufacturer, but you lways need to verify it for yourself on any plug) - and they have a tendancy to have one of the ground electrodes snap off by accident or abuse. Not a good thing to have inside the cylinder.

I've gotten about 90K miles on the OEM plug (Denso IK16 or NGK IFR5T11 - I can't remember offhand, both supposed to last as long as 120K miles) -replaced with a NGK BKR5EIX-11 (very fine electrode, supposed to last from 30K-60K miles) that have been run for about 45K miles - they still look like new.

by toyota's specs, platinum plugs are good for 60k, iridiums for 90 - 120k depending on application. only real deifference is the metal on the plug tips. there are other minor differences, but that is the biggest change.

another point - on some toyota's, they use a dual ground electrode plug. only place we have been able to find them is toyota. we have had to do multiple tune-ups because another shop did a tune-up on these engines and the MIL came on within 100 miles. pull codes, find p0300, 0r 301, 302, etc. pull a plug and find the wrong one. install correct ones, turn off the light, and problem resolved. the engine that comes to mind is the 3.4L V6 found in tacoma's, 4 runners, and t-100's. pretty sure the plugs are used in some 4 cyl applications too, just cant remember what.

aaron

OK. I went with the NGK BKR5EIX -11. I have two questions - The guy at AutoZone told me the gap should be .044, but my Haynes manual says .043. Can anyone verify for a 2000 Corolla LE?

Second, It says to NEVER gap a used Iridium plug. Mine are new, but I still don't know how to gap them properly. I have the gap gauge from Autozone (the circular kind that has the tapered edge for measuring). I checked the gaps, and they are all a bit off (smaller), so do I need a special tool for adjusting the gap, or do I just separate the two points by shoving the tapered portion towards a larger size (They are all at about .041 right now)???

Gap is 0.044" on the 8th gen Corollas.

As for gapping them, you can gap new or used plugs - be it copper, platinum, or Iridium plugs. They say NOT to gap them, because it is relatively easy to damage either the fine wire center electrode or ground electrode. That circular gapping tool (looks like a big coin looks similar to this- http://www.toolweb.com/pics/KTI73701.jpg - is a total joke of a tool) - forcing the beveled edge to pry up on the ground electrode is a recipe to damage that plug. That kind of universal gapper is only OK for copper plugs - but the chance of damaging the center electrode is even pretty high there.

Much easier to measure the gap with the wire types (less chance to get a wrong measurement). Those generally have prongs that allow you to grab the ground electrode and move it in or out. They make fancy ones that gap the plugs automatically - set the gap, stick the plug in, and squeeze the handles - but too costly to justify, unless you plan on gapping a few hundred plugs. They look similar to this: http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/images/to...gappingTool.jpg

Bikeman982

I just use a common pair of pliers and carefully adjust the electrode.

I check the gap with feeler gages to make sure it is adjusted to the correct gap.

Yeah don't try re-gapping Iridium plugs. the electrode is tiny and very fragile.

BTW i personally wouldn't use any OBX product, specially on something critical as spark plugs. Most if not all the stuff that i've seen from them is typical knock-off crap.

Bikeman982

I have never tried any OBX products.

Thanks for the confirmation on the gap size. Eventhough Haynes was only off by .01, it still makes me wonder if I can trust their other specs.

Is there a way to test for damage to the plug "post-adjustment"??? I will try to be careful of the tiny electrode, but I just want to make sure that I haven't messed it up too bad before I put it in. Would it have to break off, be bent, etc... ? Or could the damage be only detected with testing it?

Topic List