Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Advancing Timing

by Gold101, January 8, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

Wondering if anyone has experimented with advancing the timing of their corolla. Mine is 4afe, I advanced a little bit and got a strange sound at higher rpms almost like crinkling plastic. I know your supposed to switch to higher octane to stop knocking but i didnt get a knock. The distributor has 2 lower locking bolts. I rotated it clockwise a couple of milimeters, this is all it would go.

Bikeman982

I think altering the timing will affect the running condition as well as the fuel consumption. It could also affect the starting.

I would not recommend changing the distributor position, if it is set to a good level of operating conditions.

ya like i said before i wouldnt advise it, i did it because i race mine, nothing bad happened to mine but ive heard many of stories of people hurting their engines doing it, advancing it does make mpg go down a bit, and you dont gain a whole lotta horsepower or torque but i think its fine to do it a bit, its also and good starting point for begingers who want to learn how to do a tune up, or if people are taking out cams and such

Wondering if anyone has experimented with advancing the timing of their corolla. Mine is 4afe, I advanced a little bit and got a strange sound at higher rpms almost like crinkling plastic. I know your supposed to switch to higher octane to stop knocking but i didnt get a knock. The distributor has 2 lower locking bolts. I rotated it clockwise a couple of milimeters, this is all it would go.

Be very careful messing with your timing. Firstly, you should have a timing light, a tach, and a manual. You can do serious engine damage. Gasoline is intended to burn, not explode. Correctly adjusted timing begins the burning process before the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke and is measured in degrees. As the RPMs increase the timing needs to advance more, to allow adequate time whereas the piston is moving faster. If you inadvertantly retard this, you cause the fuel/air mix to "detonate" as a result of heat and pressure. You can burn holes in pistons, damage connecting rods and bearings etc. If you advance it too much, you don't get peak power at the right time in the cycle. Best to set it to factory specs and leave it there and use the octane rating Toyota recommends for that vehicle.

Bikeman982

Be very careful messing with your timing. Firstly, you should have a timing light, a tach, and a manual. You can do serious engine damage. Gasoline is intended to burn, not explode. Correctly adjusted timing begins the burning process before the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke and is measured in degrees. As the RPMs increase the timing needs to advance more, to allow adequate time whereas the piston is moving faster. If you inadvertantly retard this, you cause the fuel/air mix to "detonate" as a result of heat and pressure. You can burn holes in pistons, damage connecting rods and bearings etc. If you advance it too much, you don't get peak power at the right time in the cycle. Best to set it to factory specs and leave it there and use the octane rating Toyota recommends for that vehicle.

My sentiments exactly. If you mess it up, you could end up destroying the engine.

he advanced it too far and was getting ping. switching to higher octane fuel may have fixed it, but without a timing light a couple of milimeters could have been over 20 degrees of timing!

Bikeman982

he advanced it too far and was getting ping. switching to higher octane fuel may have fixed it, but without a timing light a couple of milimeters could have been over 20 degrees of timing!
I thought a timing light was to get it properly timed - how do you get it advanced with the light?

I thought a timing light was to get it properly timed - how do you get it advanced with the light?

the timing light just shows you where your timing is set to in degrees before top dead center. my timing light is a digital advance timing light which lets me change the timing of the flash so that i can see how far my total adance is at, often thats off the little scale that they put down there.

Slewing the distributor is an easy way to advance or retard the timing on the car - but unfortunantely, on some 4AFE and 7AFE engine - you cannot do this. Usually, if you have one bolt tie down on the distributor - you can sucessfully slew the timing. If you have two bolt hold downs, you generally cannot do this. The only way to advance the timing is to add a piggyback engine computer and shift the timing electronically. This also goes for the newer Corollas, timing aspect is controlled by the ECU - so you have to through a piggyback or use an aftermarket standalone to do anything like this.

Slewing the distributor is an easy way to advance or retard the timing on the car - but unfortunantely, on some 4AFE and 7AFE engine - you cannot do this. Usually, if you have one bolt tie down on the distributor - you can sucessfully slew the timing. If you have two bolt hold downs, you generally cannot do this. The only way to advance the timing is to add a piggyback engine computer and shift the timing electronically. This also goes for the newer Corollas, timing aspect is controlled by the ECU - so you have to through a piggyback or use an aftermarket standalone to do anything like this.

you've got it backwards, 2 bolts is yes, one bolt is no.

93, 94, and 95 model years have the 2 bolt hold down with slots with allow it to be changed, 96 model year and later do not. i say model year because cars build in late 95 could be 96 model years.

default_biggrin My bad - I assumed that the single bolt distributor was the older one, ones with the slots. Forgot that the earlier Corollas used the two bolt variant, not the single.

the 96 and up corollas have a single bolt? did not know this

the 96 and up corollas have a single bolt? did not know this
yep, its not adjustable on OBD2 corollas.

Bikeman982

you've got it backwards, 2 bolts is yes, one bolt is no.

93, 94, and 95 model years have the 2 bolt hold down with slots with allow it to be changed, 96 model year and later do not. i say model year because cars build in late 95 could be 96 model years.

That is true - two bolts have slots that allow distributor rotation (adjustment).

well then i guess i lucked out and picked the right year ha, this will be good to know thanks

Bikeman982

well then i guess i lucked out and picked the right year ha, this will be good to know thanks
It is good for you, as you advance the timing and race your car. The average Corolla owner doesn't need it, since they use the car for daily commuting and basic transportation.

I finally got out the timing light and checked the timing on my car. You have to jump the TE1 and E1 terminals in the diagnosis box. (the sticker under the hood shows you) I discovered my car was already about 14 degrees before top dead center instead of 10. I retarded the timing to 10 degrees and it was much slower and less responsive on the throttle. So I advanced it again but to 16 degrees before top dead center as I have heard that most people who race celicas keep it at 16 degrees. 4a-fe motor came in the celica at one point. I am not racing, but do alot of highway driving and always hate merging on the highway in a very slow car, so this mod is worth it to me.

This explains the process in depth

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/timing.htm

yea, advancing timing will shift peak torque to a slightly lower RPM and increase the amount of torque slightly. however it can have the side effect of causing the motor to feel like its running out of steam at high rpms, however since the 4afe has peak torque at a higher rpm already it shouldnt be much of a problem. just be sure to run a higher octane fuel, i run 93 octane for 15 degrees of timing (i also have a header and a modified intake). higher octane fuel is to prevent detonation and knock since more timing also creates more heat and pressure.

Bikeman982

I finally got out the timing light and checked the timing on my car. You have to jump the TE1 and E1 terminals in the diagnosis box. (the sticker under the hood shows you) I discovered my car was already about 14 degrees before top dead center instead of 10. I retarded the timing to 10 degrees and it was much slower and less responsive on the throttle. So I advanced it again but to 16 degrees before top dead center as I have heard that most people who race celicas keep it at 16 degrees. 4a-fe motor came in the celica at one point. I am not racing, but do alot of highway driving and always hate merging on the highway in a very slow car, so this mod is worth it to me.

This explains the process in depth

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/timing.htm

Looks like a fairly easy procedure to gain some power, but does it affect starting?

It also requires using a higher octane fuel, which for me, is a little more expensive to run.

Is it good for both standards and automatics??

doesnt affect starting for me at all.

depending how much advance you run you may not need higher octane fuel. going from the stock 10 to 12 degrees would probably be OK on 87, just keep an eye on the spark plugs, if theyre very white or have small sparkles then return to stock or use 89 octane.

i have an automatic, it works on manuals as well.

You dont need to run super, 89 works fine with 15 degrees. I think its worth it, You might as well try it yourself and see. You can always put it back to 10.

an additional ten cents a gallon ends up being about $1 a refill, if you fill up once a week thats $52 a year. now if you note an improvement in fuel economy or one of those subjective qualities like it makes the car a little more fun to drive or its easier to merge in with traffic/pass slow drivers then it may end up being worth it. if you're worried about the cost then turn the heat down 3 degrees in the winter, use more fans in the summer, and switch to fluorescent bulbs.

Bikeman982

an additional ten cents a gallon ends up being about $1 a refill, if you fill up once a week thats $52 a year. now if you note an improvement in fuel economy or one of those subjective qualities like it makes the car a little more fun to drive or its easier to merge in with traffic/pass slow drivers then it may end up being worth it. if you're worried about the cost then turn the heat down 3 degrees in the winter, use more fans in the summer, and switch to fluorescent bulbs.
Ten cents a gallon is $1.32 for a fill-up and twice a week for me would be $137 a year.

It depends on how much driving you do.

ok, so take the wife out to dinner less :-p

on your next tank of gas fill up with 89, advance timing about 3-5 degrees and give drive it through 2 tanks of gas and check your fuel mileage. you're a more conservative driver than i am, you may see an increase in mileage where as i, with all the things i've done, have seen no negative change.

Mine did not ping at 15 degrees, I'm just running 89 because I decided to leave timing here. It runs better with the 89 at 15 degrees, but you can try 15 degrees without it, shouldnt be a problem. I wouldnt recomend leaving it at 15 with 87, but go for a ride, it makes a difference. 93 seems to be over kill and since it has a higher resistance to burning than 89 or 87 I've heard that you end up dumping fuel into the exhaust so 93 is not necessary for the 4afe and I would assume the 7afe.

Topic List