Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Engine Cleaning

by Gold101, January 7, 2007

Does anyone have any tips on cleaning their corolla's engine? For instance, I have used scotch brite pads because steel wool will leave small pieces stuck in the metal which rust. Any advice here? I dont usually spend much time cleaning under the hood but would like to.

Bikeman982

Does anyone have any tips on cleaning their corolla's engine? For instance, I have used scotch brite pads because steel wool will leave small pieces stuck in the metal which rust. Any advice here? I dont usually spend much time cleaning under the hood but would like to.
I spray mine with GUNK engine degreaser and then rinse it off with water.

I also scrape some of it with a wire brush and clean it with a clean dry cloth.

I go to my local "do it yourself" car wash. Park the car off to the side, shut it off and pop the hood to let it cool for 20 minutes. Drive it in and shut it right off. Don't let it get hot. Warm is perfect. Use their pressure washer to blast off the dirt with soap and then switch to rinse. Be careful not to blast it down your heater air vents and don't hit the fiberglass on the hood. Common sense is mandatory. Nothing should "sizzle when you start spraying - if it does, stop! you didn't wait long enough. The combination of heat and warm soapy water does a nice job, and the mess is not in your driveway. It's $2 well spent. When you get back home and everything is dry, spray your throttle related springs and linkages with a silicone based lubricant and life is good.

Bikeman982

I go to my local "do it yourself" car wash. Park the car off to the side, shut it off and pop the hood to let it cool for 20 minutes. Drive it in and shut it right off. Don't let it get hot. Warm is perfect. Use their pressure washer to blast off the dirt with soap and then switch to rinse. Be careful not to blast it down your heater air vents and don't hit the fiberglass on the hood. Common sense is mandatory. Nothing should "sizzle when you start spraying - if it does, stop! you didn't wait long enough. The combination of heat and warm soapy water does a nice job, and the mess is not in your driveway. It's $2 well spent. When you get back home and everything is dry, spray your throttle related springs and linkages with a silicone based lubricant and life is good.

Be sure not to spray your alternator. It is not recommended in the manual.

Guest BlindMan

I would go pick up a few cans of brake cleaner. the scotch brite is a good idea to get caked on stuff off but the brake cleaner is safe to use because it evaporates quickly and will do an excellent job cleaning your valve cover, as im going to assume that needs the most work. The brake cleaner will have it shining with not much elbow grease.

What does engine cleaning do, aside from show off the car better when you pop the hood for your friends? Some people have told me it improves the engine's performance, but I highly doubt it considering the dirt is just collecting on the outside. I was considering cleaning my engine just to show it off, but it would be nice if there were some other perks to it.

Bikeman982

What does engine cleaning do, aside from show off the car better when you pop the hood for your friends? Some people have told me it improves the engine's performance, but I highly doubt it considering the dirt is just collecting on the outside. I was considering cleaning my engine just to show it off, but it would be nice if there were some other perks to it.
I clean the engine and components off just in case I have to work on it. A cleaner engine is better to work on.

Also a dirty engine is more prone to rust and corrossion, which will shorten component life.

Nothing electronic will like a blast of water....and a wet distributor will leave you standing there waiting for it to dry.

KEEP WATER AWAY FROM THE PCM!!

Bikeman982

Nothing electronic will like a blast of water....and a wet distributor will leave you standing there waiting for it to dry.

KEEP WATER AWAY FROM THE PCM!!

The manual recommends you cover the alternator in plastic. Also it is a good idea to try to avoid spraying the battery and the fuseboxes (electronics).

Good distributors can take water on the outside, but if they leak, it will give you trouble. I don't know what you mean by PCM, but if it is the ECU/ECM, mine is inside the car.

I don't know what you mean by PCM, but if it is the ECU/ECM, mine is inside the car.
ECU=Powertrain Control Module=computer.

It is good that they are starting to put them inside the cab.

also dont fprget if you have an aftermarket intake either take the filter off or make sure its dry so you dont suck water. big no no default_wacko

I don't know what you mean by PCM, but if it is the ECU/ECM, mine is inside the car.

they've been in the cab since atleast 93 and probably earlier on the corolla.

Bikeman982

Which Corolla has them in the engine compartment?

Sorry. Keep in mind that most of my vehicle knowledge was not learned on a Corolla. I just bought one last year.

Bikeman982

Sorry. Keep in mind that most of my vehicle knowledge was not learned on a Corolla. I just bought one last year.

No problem. When you get a chance, pick up a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual for your year car and start reading up on it.

The knowledge might come in handy sometime.

Ahh...I like to gain my knowledge the hard way.....take it apart and then find some way to put it back together.

Bikeman982

Ahh...I like to gain my knowledge the hard way.....take it apart and then find some way to put it back together.
I was that way for a while - until I found that it was cheaper and less parts got broken by me - after I started reading the manuals before I attempted the work.

Topic List