Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Struts

by AKK, January 3, 2007

Is there a chain you trust to replace the 2 rear struts on my corolla. My dealer who I have bee going to for 16 yrs wants to charge $1050 for labor and parts. That seems too much. I am stuck between buying a new car or replacing the struts.

The car has 120000 miles and has been needing work. In the last year of 2006, A/C repair cost me $400, strut mount $250, power steering hose replacement $300 and serpentine belt $120. I am getting fleeced in Tampa but I have had bad experiences with regular mechanics on my pre 1990 cars. So I stuck with the dealer for 16 yrs.

One of my tires cupped badly within a few thousand miles and it ahs done it before also.

I would just start calling around getting quotes for the job - many times, a dealership to price match to keep your business. But replacing the rear struts are costly - most of hte cost is in labor, depending on your model year - it could also mean disconnecting the rear brake lines to replace the strut = more cost. $1050 is about ballpark for that kind of job - I've seen them as low as $600, but that was a local independant garage.

If you feel up to it - this would be a great DIY job. Hardest/dangerous part would be compressing the springs, but you can rent equipment to do that as well as most of the other equipment for this job. Most recommend an alignment afterwards - but Corollas have a fixed orientation in the rear (ie. unless you adjusted something, the alignment will not change with the strut - assuming you keep the same spring and just replace the strut with a like piece). Would be different if you have an eccentric bolt installed (sometimes called a crash bolt) - then you would need an alignment.

Bikeman982

Is there a chain you trust to replace the 2 rear struts on my corolla. My dealer who I have bee going to for 16 yrs wants to charge $1050 for labor and parts. That seems too much. I am stuck between buying a new car or replacing the struts.

The car has 120000 miles and has been needing work. In the last year of 2006, A/C repair cost me $400, strut mount $250, power steering hose replacement $300 and serpentine belt $120. I am getting fleeced in Tampa but I have had bad experiences with regular mechanics on my pre 1990 cars. So I stuck with the dealer for 16 yrs.

One of my tires cupped badly within a few thousand miles and it ahs done it before also.

I don't know if I would go with a chain. I would ask a trusted neighbor or friend for their recommendation for a repair shop in your area.

You might be able to find it for around $500 if you look around. I did it myself and it is not that hard if you have all the tools (spring compressor, breaker bar for those rusted bolts, and a lot of time). In the end, it is a big job and will easily run you 1-2 days if you are stuck. Last time my wrench snap when I use an extension to increase the torque to break off a bolt.

Then you add alignment afterward, it is not that expensive for $500 parts and labor.

Here is what I posted a couple of months ago if you decide to do the job yourself or have a friend do it for you

Updated 12-26-06 for rear strut experiences.[/color]

I also posted this on the TN site. I hope this is helpful ---

I just finished changing the front struts on my 99 Corolla CE. I used the Haynes manual to guide me. Here are some tips not mentioned in the manual:

1. Make sure you have a 6 point 19mm standard socket (203 ft/lbs torque). You don't need a deep socket.

2. Make sure you have the biggest, baddest, meanest breaker bar for #1 above.

3. Make sure your torque wrench reaches 203 ft/lbs (thanks to Garth for loaning me his Snap-On torque wrench).

4. Order new rubber spring insulators (upper & lowers)

5. Order new dust seals.

6. Brake hose bracket used a 14MM (socket or wrench)

7. Top mount nuts are 12MM (preferably socket, but wrench will work)

My car has 215,000 miles and looks / runs like new. The shop quoted me $850 for installing 4 KYB GR2's and new front strut mounts. My car looks and runs like new so I decided to go all out buy new struts, factory springs and the factory mounts for the front only. After replacing fronts, both bearings in the strut mounts were seized, so I decided to replace the rear mounts with factory units (based on the condition of the front mounts). For some reason, both front dust seals failed on the original front mounts which I attribute the seized bearings to. Since I am delayed a week ordering mounts for the rear, I decided to order the dust seals and the rubber spring insulators for the rear as well. Since I didn't have the dust seals for the front, I had to improvise via bathroom rubber gaskets, thanks to home depot.

This was also my first time ordering auto parts online, I rate http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/disclaimer.html a perfect 10 for price, speed and service. Parts arrived quickly and packaged extremely well.

Bilstein stinks. Based on recommendations on this site, I tried to find some. Why do I have to wait darn near 3 months to receive Bilsteins? Did the shipment go down on the Titanic? Out of frustration trying to aquire Bilstein's, I decided to go with KYB GR2's. Stay away from this vendor: http://www.performancecenter.com/. They lie about availability (told me they had Bilstein's in stock (at least other vendors were honest - not available till Jan 2007). Took three weeks for KYB's to arrive (obviously another lie - they didn't have them in stock as represented). Also, they shipped the struts individually in the KYB box which is fine for shipping and stocking on auto parts store shelves, but not via UPS / Fed Ex. One strut was hanging out of the box, two other boxes were ripped. Two struts were scratched to where I am concerned, but don't have the patience to deal with those azzes again. Two of the nuts for the top of the strut were missing due to ripped boxes (cost $7.50 USD each at the local Toyota stealer). Also, shipped the wrong dust covers for the rear struts. Total incompetence. I still can't beleive they would ship the products in such a lousy way.

Everything else was pretty much by the book. Regardless of whether you change the springs or not, definitely get new Toyota strut mounts, dust seals, and rubber spring insulators (upper and lower).

I will update about my experiences changing the rear struts when done.

Update 12-26-06:

Comments on replacing rear struts on 99 Corolla CE:

1. Haynes manual, Chapter 10, Section 10, step 3 – my car used a 10mm line wrench to remove brake hose clip. This was the most frustrating part of the job. The brake line bracket on the strut is a solid round hole. I had to disconnect my brake line to remove the strut. This is a major omission in the Haynes manual. Since there was no mention in the manual and I never disconnected my brake line, I left the line disconnected while I changed my springs / struts. Unfortunately, I had to bleed my brakes and master cylinder when done. To avoid your master cylinder running low, reconnect the brake lines while you work on the struts & springs. Regardless, you will have to bleed the brakes to all 4 wheels, but if your master cylinder stays full, you won’t have to bleed the master cylinder as well. I know it makes sense to reconnect the lines while working on the struts & springs, but it would be nice for Haynes to mention this step in the manual.

2. Haynes manual, Chapter 10, Section 10, step 4 – my car used a 14mm wrench and a allen wrench to remove the stabilizer link. The first rear strut I used a wrench and pliers (not knowing about the allen head. Make sure you have the correct size allen wrench before starting the job.

3. The rear strut mounts do not have the built in bearing like the front mounts. It was a waste of time and money to purchase the rear strut mounts, the old ones were fine.

Good luck to all who attempt this project. Above all, put safety first. Compressed springs are dangerous. Do not have any body parts aligned with compressed springs. I sat in a chair with the struts and springs secured in a vertical position. Make sure car is supported securely on safe jack stands.

I am very pleased with the result. The car rides slightly firmer than new. I am very glad I installed new factory springs as well. The ride is fantastic even though not yet aligned. Going to get it aligned tomorrow.

They're trying to rob you blind. Go to Tirerack's site, look under "recommended installers" and put in your zipcode. Start making calls and getting quotes, and stay away from dealerships or big chain places like Firestone/Goodyear if you can.

Bikeman982

I am sure there are less expensive repair places for you (if you are unable or unwilling to do it yourself).

Check online for local shops and get some estimates. Ask some trustworthy friends or neighbors in your area.

You can save yourself some money by doing some checking around first.

Topic List