Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Bezel-mounted Stereo Removal In 1999 Corolla

By Sgt.Bilko, January 1, 2007

Sgt.Bilko

Hi,

I have looked through this (and other) forums for a stereo installation/removal guide in a 1999 Toyota Corolla GS, but have so far drawn a blank on the particular dashboard layout for my car. Despite an abundance of removal guides for stereo's mounted lower on the dashboard, there does not appear to be any guide where the radio is located in a bezel on the dash. Attached is an image to illustrate.

All I am really after is an instruction on which part of the facia I need to remove first. I have had a look at popping the bezel out, but I am reluctant to apply too much pressure as it is most likely screwed down, and I assume that the air grill will need removing to get at the screws?

Any help would greatly appreciated.

alright, i believe that the pod sitting over the radio comes off. its just held in with tension clips, use a broad screwdriver to gently pry it up, it'll pop like something has broken, thats just the clip releasing. remove the cover and then see whats underneath.

i'm only about 75% sure about this tho, can some one else confirm?

Sgt.Bilko

Thanks for the reply. I had tried prizing the bezel off before I posted and decided that I was doing more damage than good. I found this in the TOC forum last night after I had posted here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...44&hl=radio

Someone with a V-reg Corolla asked the same question and received the following reply:

"...is it the standard stereo that sits on the top of the dash? If so, remove the air vents completely from underneath it and you'll find 4 10mm head bolts holding it to the dash. Remove these, disconnect the multiplugs n pop it out"

So I guess I need to whip out the air vents first? Not having done that before either, do these simply pull out?

Thanks in advance.

Sgt.Bilko

ok, so I have found the time to remove the air-grill and being completely novice, I am stuck again. It would appear that there are no screws holding the bezel in place, and nor is it apparent to me that there are spring clips there either... There are two bolts holding the stereo down however (see pics). Am I going to need to remove these to get the stereo out?

Much obliged.

John

PS The images show the air grill out, and then the bolts that I am talking about (the photo is taken looking upward, and the bolts are pointed out by arrows). Taken at night so the quality is rubbish

air-grill

bolts

Bikeman982

ok, so I have found the time to remove the air-grill and being completely novice, I am stuck again. It would appear that there are no screws holding the bezel in place, and nor is it apparent to me that there are spring clips there either... There are two bolts holding the stereo down however (see pics). Am I going to need to remove these to get the stereo out?

Much obliged.

John

PS The images show the air grill out, and then the bolts that I am talking about (the photo is taken looking upward, and the bolts are pointed out by arrows). Taken at night so the quality is rubbish

air-grill

bolts

It looks to me like removing those two bolts is the way to get the stereo out.

Sgt.Bilko

A follow up...

I had been meaning to follow this up for a while for anyone interested and ever in the same predicament. Indeed, the two bolts needed to be removed, and then the radio and bezel simply slide forward.

Simple when you know how...

Its out: job done!

Bikeman982

A follow up...

I had been meaning to follow this up for a while for anyone interested and ever in the same predicament. Indeed, the two bolts needed to be removed, and then the radio and bezel simply slide forward.

Simple when you know how...

Its out: job done!

Looks like you got it!

very cool, i like where the radio is mounted up there. much easier to keep your eyes on the road when you want to change the station.

Bikeman982

very cool, i like where the radio is mounted up there. much easier to keep your eyes on the road when you want to change the station.
Pretty odd that the steering wheel is on the right side. Must be a foreign car.

Wow, looking at that picture, its like looking at my car through a mirror or some opposite dimension! Everything looks so similar to my Corolla, but in exactly opposite placement. I'm scared!

Bikeman982

It kind of throws us off - those that have the steering wheel and driver's position on the left side of the car.

Guest woodman

Hey Sarge

Just read you postings and would like to say thanks you have saved me a load of hassle. I've been trying to figure out how to change the radio in my fathers corolla as a surprise for his birthday. Your pictures have made it that much more simple.

Can you tell me how you got the air vents out, do these jus pull out??

Thanks in advance

Woodman default_tongue

Bikeman982

It kind of throws us off - those that have the steering wheel and driver's position on the left side of the car.
I always felt akward driving in places like England and Japan.

Sgt.Bilko

Hey Sarge

Just read you postings and would like to say thanks you have saved me a load of hassle. I've been trying to figure out how to change the radio in my fathers corolla as a surprise for his birthday. Your pictures have made it that much more simple.

Can you tell me how you got the air vents out, do these jus pull out??

Thanks in advance

Woodman default_tongue

Hi Woodman,

The air vents simply pull out. I used a flat-head screw driver to gently pop the bottom of the air vents out first. You then need to depress the three plastic clips at the top of the air grill (they are the inverted "V" clips in this picture: clips). Get one or two of them free and the whole unit will pull free.

Good luck

Sgt.Bilko

That's odd as I've never had a problem driving on the wrong side of the road when I have driven in the US or Europe default_laugh

Bikeman982

That's odd as I've never had a problem driving on the wrong side of the road when I have driven in the US or Europe default_laugh

Maybe you are ambidextrous?

Guest Cookie Monster

Hi sorry to bother but I've just found this thread and I want to replace the old cassette player, I've removed the air vent grills and I can see 2 black coloured 10mm hexagon bolts. do I have to unscrew them or do I have to pull other things out? The pictures would make it a lot more clearer but unfortunately the pictures do not work for some reason default_sad Please help! Thanks

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)