Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

I Just Changed My 1st Water Pump...

By NILLINOIS, December 30, 2006

It wasn't a rolla..it was a Buick Century. Pep Boys wanted like $300 for this. Ridiculous. The beater has 110K on it, and the cheapest rebuilt pump at Autozone was $14 w/core exchange. Borrowed a Chilton's from my library. About 3 hours later I was done. Pretty easy on those GMs. I discovered that the seal around the water pump had cracked and deteriorated. I probably could have gotten away with just replacing the gasket, but the pump was so cheap. The only time I had to crawl under the car was to drain 1/2 of the coolant out. It it as easy on a Rolla?

It wasn't a rolla..it was a Buick Century. Pep Boys wanted like $300 for this. Ridiculous. The beater has 110K on it, and the cheapest rebuilt pump at Autozone was $14 w/core exchange. Borrowed a Chilton's from my library. About 3 hours later I was done. Pretty easy on those GMs. I discovered that the seal around the water pump had cracked and deteriorated. I probably could have gotten away with just replacing the gasket, but the pump was so cheap. The only time I had to crawl under the car was to drain 1/2 of the coolant out. It it as easy on a Rolla?
Which rolla you got???

Take a look at my profile by clicking on my name on the left ..98 LE. BTW I saw a couple threads about the water pump. Seems just as easy on a Rolla.

8th gen Corolla - easy. Undo sepentine belt, 6 bolts, o-ring, remove water pump. Install is reverse of removal. Just make sure your coolant recovery tank has coolant - the system will automatically siphon in more coolant as needed. I usually wait to do these when I'm ready to do a coolant change, just to keep down on the mess.

Water pumps have to be one of the easiest things to replace. They are always cheap too!

Bikeman982

Was the Buick an inline engine, or transverse mounted, like the Corolla?

That makes a difference in the level of difficulty to change the water pump.

It's transverse, just like the Corolla...thank god..if it were inline it would have been a nightmare. Funny the Buick has the 2.2L Cavalier engine..a Cavalier engine in a Buick ..LOL

Bikeman982

It's transverse, just like the Corolla...thank god..if it were inline it would have been a nightmare. Funny the Buick has the 2.2L Cavalier engine..a Cavalier engine in a Buick ..LOL
The inlines I thought were easier, since the water pump was behind the fan. All you had to do was take off the fan to get to it.

In the transverse engine you have to remove the plastic covers and the pulleys as well.

I though the inlines had them on the back of the engine. Front would be easy too. Taking the belt off is easy because they have a tensioner. Just unbolt the pulley wheel from the pump ( 3 bolts ) then 4 for the pump. No taking out anymore the electric fans for a while ( hopefully ).

One thing I did like about the Century ( one of the very few things ) , was it had alot of protection for the front of the engine compartment and condesor/radiator ( from road damage, rocks, etc ). Much more than the stock Corolla.

Bikeman982

I though the inlines had them on the back of the engine. Front would be easy too. Taking the belt off is easy because they have a tensioner. Just unbolt the pulley wheel from the pump ( 3 bolts ) then 4 for the pump. No taking out anymore the electric fans for a while ( hopefully ).

One thing I did like about the Century ( one of the very few things ) , was it had alot of protection for the front of the engine compartment and condesor/radiator ( from road damage, rocks, etc ). Much more than the stock Corolla.

That is true - the Corolla only has a cheap plastic grille in front of the condenser and then the radiator.

Also the bumper does not hold up to much impact and any collision causes lots of damage.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else