Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By JeffG, December 29, 2006

OK well for the second time in a week were swamped with snow (Colorado). Coming home yesterday I skidded on ice beneath snow and hit a guard rail... I forgot I didn't have ABS and stomped down on the brake....

The Headlight broke off at it mounting points and I lost the corner light almost completely... Since it was a blizzard I didn't stop to pickup the corner light pieces...

Looks like I have a dent in the fender now and the hood is a bit out of place(Moved over to the drivers side a bit). I ordered the headlight and corner light off of eBay... I'm going to see about the fender... I can get it for $15 on eBay but the shipping is $70, and then I would have to paint it...

How hard is it to paint / match the super white? Is it easier since it’s a flat color with no clear coat? I may order the paint in a spray can and then pop the dent out go over the area.

Needless to say I'm bummed out and kicking myself... Why the heck didn't I slow down or pump the brakes... I guess The guard rail saved me from going into the floodway default_laugh

Access-Denied (+1)

I wanna know how in the world you guys get blasted with snow twice. I'm in SLC, and we may have picked up 2" in the past week.

Good old rocky mountains... Must be driving the snow east and shielding you guys...

At least you are alright default_biggrin. Yeah, not much you can really do ABS or not, if the car is already skidding.

We've been spared this year in New England so far, but last year it was horrible. The snow was about 10"+ on the ground from the beginning of November to the end of March, no matter how warm it got in the day. One night when I was driving home from work, my street was completely iced over with black ice. I was only going about 30 MPH, but when I stopped to turn into my driveway, my car lost all grip and began to slide at 90 degrees into a snowbank. There were no cars on the road since I live on a sidestreet and it was 11:30 PM. I hit the bank on the left side of the street from my back end. Surprisingly it did no damage to the bumper or trunk, just alot of snow to clean out of the cracks.

As for painting, don't go with spray paint. It's best, no matter what color the car is, to do it professionally with priming and double coating. The last thing you want to deal with is rusting by the end of this winter. If the fender is just a piece of plastic, I suppose you can cheap out a little, but I know that at least around here in New England, the salt and sand they dump on the roads can eat through your car's paint like cardboard. My car is only about 9 years old and I keep it garaged, but I'm looking to repaint the whole thing soon. There's a couple of rusting spots developing and the overall integrity of the car's paint is going down each winter.

By spray paint I mean the automotive touch up paint that several companies sell online. You can get a small brush, a small can of spray paint, or a pint if you have your own sprayer...

The area is big enough the small brush will not work... If I end up having to take it into a body shop I will order the fender and have them spray it...

Here in Colorado we have an advantage that they do not put salt on the roads... Unfortunately they do put a sand / gravel mix everywhere. So rust is not a big deal.. however we do replace our windshields every other year...

Bikeman982

Sorry about all that snow and bad weather. Here in CA it is only rain, but as it moves east it changes.

I have used touch-up paint myself and it is not a professional job, but it looks fine.

Topic List