Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Just Turned 160,000 Miles

by Bikeman982, December 17, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

Just turned 184,000 miles and car seems fine.

I drive it 70 miles a day.

How long will it last??

Bikeman982

I have gone over 186,000 miles and have not changed the timing belt yet.

I may need to change the driver's side drive shaft, since the CV joint is making a knocking noise.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

I have gone over 186,000 miles and have not changed the timing belt yet.I may need to change the driver's side drive shaft, since the CV joint is making a knocking noise.

More to follow.

See other post about front end noise.

Driver's side driveshaft changed - noise is gone.

my timing belt is 23K miles over due default_tongue i keep checking it and it's not cracking so i keep putting it off.

Bikeman982

I have not checked my timing belt, but if it brakes, I call for a ride, tow the car home and change the belt.

If it lasts until 200,000 miles, that will be great.

Bikeman982

Just turned 187,000 miles. Still going strong.

I have an '03 that's just about to pass 160,000 miles. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and runs like the day I bought it. With a tiny bit of maintenance, it should be the Energizer Bunny of car engines. :-)

^^^ That is excellent on that engine, good to hear that it is still running like a champ. Running synthetic or conventional motor oil on the engine and at what oil change interval? My 2002 has about 150K miles, the Matrix and its 2ZZ-GE has almost 100K on the clock - both running synthetic on extended drain intervals, neither one is burning any oil.

Not many 1ZZ-FE with mega miles on them (mainly because the engine is relatively new), I've only heard about two others that are over 200K miles (both 2003 Corollas) and still going strong. I'm just interested to see how this engine (all aluminum, variable valve timing, and timing chain) holds up to the past Toyota engines. So far, in this short of time, looking like they are going to be stellar engines.

Bikeman982

I am close to 188,000 miles now.

I had to replace a tire, since it went flat and was scraped on the side.

Car still runs great and I may sell it because I also have an Acura to drive.

Bikeman982

The Acura went to my son and I am still driving the 1994 Corolla.

It just turned 189,000 miles. Looking forward to making it to 200,000 miles.

Bikeman982

My 1994 just turned 190,000 miles and still runs good.

I plan to keep it until it stops running.

I have had it since Nov 2005 and that is 3 1/2 years.

I got it with 141,000 miles, so I do about 14,000 miles per year.

At this rate, it will take less than 9 months to reach 200,000 miles.

Bikeman982

I hit a recycle bin while driving home from work the other day.

It was blowing across the highway and at 70 MPH I didn't see it until too late.

I slowed very rapidly after it broke thru the bottom of my bumper and it got stuck under the front end.

I went out and pulled the bin out and tossed it into the weeds off the side of the road.

I checked out my bumper and it was trashed from the grille down, in the center.

I got home and unbolted the two pieces that were hanging down.

I suppose I could get another bumper, or try to do a makeshift fix for it but I have been driving with it broken.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

The car went over 192,000 miles and is still running strong.

It looks a little tattered with the front clear coat peeling off the paint.

The front bumper is broken and I have not changed it yet.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Car went over 193,000 miles and I hope to make it to 200k.

Bikeman982

The car is running fine - made it from Vacaville, CA to Minden, NV this week.

I did have some strange noises when I gunned it going up the steep hills.

It seemed to kick down into a lower gear and then sounded like it was slipping.

I don't know what the sound is, but I suspect I will still need to change out the timing belt.

I have been procrastinating doing the timing belt change and it is inevitable.

I may go until it breaks, then make the change. I do have a spare vehicle now.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

I have gone over 194,000 miles and the car is still a daily driver.

I am hoping to make it to the 200k club.

The car is starting to look ragged- broken front bumper, lots of clearcoat peeling from the paint.

It also has several rock chips and the windshield has numerous cracks from rocks (thanks CA road improvements).

Other than that, it is running well.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Car just turned 197,000 miles.

Recently had the windshield replaced, due to too many chips and cracks.

The clearcoat is pealing - especially on the hood.

The car still runs good and I drive it back and forth to work - about 100 miles a day.

Hope to make 200,000 miles!

Bikeman982

Getting close to 200,000 miles on this 1994 Corolla.

Have 199,700 miles - a few more days and it will reach the 200k milestone.

Car is running good, hope to reach 250,000 miles!

Bikeman982

Turned over 201,000 miles and still running strong.

The paint on the front (hood) has oxidized and the clearcoating is peeling.

Still a daily driver and gets anywhere from 29 - 32 MPG.

Not bad for a 1994!

Just to tell you how long they can last I have a 1994 Geo Prism LSi aka Corolla with the 7A 1.8l

This car was purchased new in 1994 with 6 miles on it from the test drive by my grandmother. I learned how to drive in this car when I was 14 (im now 28)

As it sits in my work parking lot it has just broken 440,000 miles this past weekend. There is no car in the world I trust like this one.

Total summary of major components replaced:

Alternator x3 (factory wiring defect blew them up until it was found)

Starter @ 300k (also changed the CVs are they were just plain worn out)

Distributor @ 432k (not sure what piece or sensor was bad but I picked up a junkyard unit with 180k on it for $35 and had the car running in a day)

Driver side power window motor

Everything else on this car is stock. The suspension, exhaust, engine itself, etc has the entire 440k on it. This includes the muffler and catalytic converter. I have no clue how it is still functional but the car itself has never failed a smog check.

Obviously the engine burns alot of oil because of its age, but it does not leak a single drop on the ground and I park it in my garage. The car routinely breaks 35 mpg and last year after breaking 400k it hit 39.6 on a flat freeway cruise of 360 miles.

Here is a picture of it from a couple months back. She still looks as good as any Corolla/Prizm on the road and handles my 120mi daily commute like a champ.

Plate isn't looking like a champ but that's a great story!

With these high mileage Corollas, do you guys change the suspension often?

My dad backed into it years ago with the motorhome and dented the license plate with the boat trailer hitch. The paint has just started peeling on the roofline and of course the front end has so many rock chips it almost looks like it was sprinkled with white paint.

My suspension is still factory (and still functional) at 440k miles. The bushings are worn out and one of the strut hats is starting to crack but none of the struts have let out the magic oil yet, they still do their job just fine.

My dad backed into it years ago with the motorhome and dented the license plate with the boat trailer hitch. The paint has just started peeling on the roofline and of course the front end has so many rock chips it almost looks like it was sprinkled with white paint.

My suspension is still factory (and still functional) at 440k miles. The bushings are worn out and one of the strut hats is starting to crack but none of the struts have let out the magic oil yet, they still do their job just fine.

That's amazing, on our 93', we've replaced the struts once already and looks like it will require another one soon, we have just under 100K miles on it.

That's amazing, on our 93', we've replaced the struts once already and looks like it will require another one soon, we have just under 100K miles on it.

To be quite honest I dont know how the car still runs and drives let alone functions near the factory level in all ways except engine power. As the miles pile up she gets a lil more out of breath going up big hills but I would still trust this car for a trip across the country on a moments notice.

Topic List