Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By newtypeal, December 15, 2006

I am planning on passing my car to my brother, who drives more slowly than I do--usually doing 65~70 MPH on highway, no fast cornering, etc. Therefore, I am considering downgrading the tires. But, just to be on the safe side, I wonder whether the higher grades of traction and speed ratings provide any benefit to slower/normal drivers that worth the extra $20~$30 bucks. Also, would it be safe--i.e. would the car lose a significant amount of handling--if I put two new passenger tires in the front and two (worn) performance tires at the back? Two of my tires right now are quite new (9~10/32 tread), but the other two are slowly dying (5/32 tread), so I still got about 5 months to decide. default_smile

How's the weather where it's going? It matters some.

Performance usually means stiffer (road bounce) ride. If he really is a sedate driver (not a secret Walter Mitty), nice boring tires will grip the road enough and add some suspension.

The typical recommendation is to get four matched if you can. Occasional rotation (I only bother at, say, 12 kmiles) really helps longevity, and you're more likely to do that if they're matched. Especially before ABS, it could be really bad to have three old tires and one tire that really could stop on a dime.

If you're buying budget tires, the cost of getting a tire mounted, balanced, and disposed comes near the price of the basic tire itsself. If you were paying to get four tires mounted now, there'd be no reason not to mount new ones (thus, not having to pay to mount replacements in a year or two). If you're just rolling your two better tires to the back, I guess I'd try to wear them out, too.

For what it's worth, the Korean brands have gotten seriously better this decade. I got some $42 Kumho 716s. Entirely adequate (seriously better than the dying junk that was on when the car was passed to me) and pretty well reviewed. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...l=ECSTA+HP4+716

What size do you need? I went with the sumitomo HTR+ all weather tire because out of all the budget all weather performance tires that I looked at, the sumitomo's were rated good in deep snow by WRX and GSX owerns. Granted, they have AWD, they were still the only budget tire that people gave good reviews in snow for. I don't plan on driving in the snow since I put them on a Mustang, but I wanted something that was decent in snow, just in case. I've gone to the movies before without checking the weather and come out only to find 5" of snow on the ground. I'd like to think that I could stop and get some bags of salt to throw in the trunk and safely get myself home.

I can say they are more then enough for spirited driving. For the price, they are the best tire I have ever bought. It seems that most people who get them are shocked. I am one of them. They are way better then I thought they would be. I got something cheap because I needed new tires, but they are GREAT!!! Not just okay, but really, really nice. Better then Perelli H rated all weather tires that I've had in the past that cost way more.

i enjoy my Yokohama Avid H4s. they bite into the road better than most tires do and are pretty cheap.

When I got new tires for my wife's car,

I just asked for the cheapest tires that will fit.

I dont rem what they put on, but I have no issues with them, even when driving hard.

tdk.

Bikeman982

When I got new tires for my wife's car, I just asked for the cheapest tires that will fit.

I dont rem what they put on, but I have no issues with them, even when driving hard.

tdk.

Take a look at the sidewall and it should have the name and also model on the sidewall.

How many miles do you have on them and how is the tread life now?

Usually - when I replace the tires, I get the best that I can buy - to a point.

Cost is in the noise compared to if there is a situation where a better tire would provide you some tangible benefit like better traction and/or better temperature control. You don't have to get a "performance" tire - just one better than the stock one.

The fuel economy numbers generally don't change that much, especially if you retain the OEM sized tire - but traction (dry and wet) for turning, accelerating, and braking are greatly improved with better tires. Just because one may not drive aggressively - does not mean than a cheap tire is OK. Still have to take into account the actions of the "other" person - better to be prepared for the unexpected and not have to worry about the tires being the weak point.

Bikeman982

Just leave the tires on there that have good tread and pass it on to your brother that way - consider it a Christmas gift.

If you have to replace them, just get some decent ones, such as Michelin, BF Goodrich, Goodyear, etc.

Tires are the only thing in contact with the road, and the contact patch is no bigger than the palm of your hand. I got the best ones i could afford to a certain point as well. Tires are something that i learned not to cheap out on.

Bikeman982

I recommend something decent, but it does not follow that the most expensive is the best.

There are good quality tires made by all the major brands that are not too much money.

I agree. You do not have to pay a lot of money to get a great tire. A lot of OE tires that cost a lot are not even that good.

The stock tires that came on our car have a LOUSY rating and cost $62 and seem to be on sale.

A MUCH better tire would be this. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...;speed_rating=Y

Or this.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

The Yokohoma's are probably a tad better, but don't let the price of the Sumitomo throw you off. I put some Z rated all weather ones on my Mustang and I got stuck out in a downpour today and they drove great. On dry roads, they hook up better then I expected them too.

you know why sumitomo is selling those good tires at way less than comparable ones? to spread their name to people who dont know the name, HTR is generally associated with higher end faster cars, but by loosing a little and selling them cheap they spread the name brand around to a broader base of consumers.

as i said above i like the avids alot, tho they dont fair as well on the snow as i'd like. but by simply driving carefully they do just fine. i suppose my only complaint is that in the rain from a stop at a well traveled intersection its not hard at all to start the tires spinning on accident, but i think that playing with my front tire pressures a little may correct that some. they may be a tad on the low side.

you know why sumitomo is selling those good tires at way less than comparable ones? to spread their name to people who dont know the name, HTR is generally associated with higher end faster cars, but by loosing a little and selling them cheap they spread the name brand around to a broader base of consumers.

as i said above i like the avids alot, tho they dont fair as well on the snow as i'd like. but by simply driving carefully they do just fine. i suppose my only complaint is that in the rain from a stop at a well traveled intersection its not hard at all to start the tires spinning on accident, but i think that playing with my front tire pressures a little may correct that some. they may be a tad on the low side.

The sumitomo's have been around in the US for years. I really doubt that they would be taking a loss on them this whole time. Maybe the other tires just have more of a mark up on them. Also, they are not the best compared to other tires that cost more, they just rock out for the price. They just aren't some cheap POS tire as the price might indicate.

There are a lot of factors in choosing tires: noise, dry performance, wet performance, snow/ice performance, cornering, how predictable they are at the limit, wear, etc. Of course if you want the best (or better) on most of this stuff you're going to have to pay more.

There are a lot of factors in choosing tires: noise, dry performance, wet performance, snow/ice performance, cornering, how predictable they are at the limit, wear, etc. Of course if you want the best (or better) on most of this stuff you're going to have to pay more.

You really only have to pay more if you buy the major brands. Goodyear, ,Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin. You can get upgrades by going with some of the smaller brands without paying much more if any more then the stock tires that come on a Corolla. BFGs are one of the brands that are one of the top performers that don't break the bank like some of the others.

Some of the budget performers are Kumho, Sumitomo, Falken, and in between a pricey tire and a budget tire, but a good one is Yokohoma. I also have a pair of Fulda Extremo's on my turbo car and no one has heard of them. They kick the crap out of the Perelli P7000s I had on it before. The major brands just spend lots of money on advertising and they have to pass the cost on to the cost of the tires. I have personally had both Blizzacks and the Yokohoma ice guard tires on my AWD turbo car and the cheaper Yokohoma's are better. Spending more doesn't always get you a better tire unless maybe you are going for a all out summer performance tire or a competition tire. Even then, both Sumitomo and Falken have racing backgrounds.

The sumitomo's have been around in the US for years. I really doubt that they would be taking a loss on them this whole time. Maybe the other tires just have more of a mark up on them. Also, they are not the best compared to other tires that cost more, they just rock out for the price. They just aren't some cheap POS tire as the price might indicate.

well what i was trying to say is go upto the common walmart shopper and ask them what sumitomo makes and they wont know, now ask them michellein or firestone and they know. they know because those companies have alot of cheap tires all around the market that alot of people buy because theyre a name brand. imo sumitomo is trying to spread their name around more. i didnt mean that they arent making money on them, but theyre in the same class as the H4's from yokohama, they could charge as much for them.

Topic List