Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Boost

by 954afe, December 11, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

just wanted to spark peoples minds up a bit, think boosted 4afe, full boost around 1500-1800 rpms, ha

i'm thinking really tiny turbo default_tongue something like a T25 or T28BB, what are your plans for fuel and ignition control?

dont need any of that stuff im only gonna run around 6psi, i forget what the turbo is but the turbo is made for the R6 bike, its just a baby one so ill spool fast and everything, http://neukin.com/ thats who is making my stuff

Check out this guys laundry list of goodies for his 4AFTE setup:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/224411/7

Also - some might say go with a Silvertop or blacktop swap in place of a Turbo setup - but it has been shown many time that the F-heads do take to boost pretty well. Just make sure that everything else is beefed up and tune is good - many have run 6-8PSI all day long, 10-12PSI with some aggressive tuning, or like this guy - 18-20PSI on a built box.

ya i dont wanan run anything over 8psi plus the turbo im gonan run will only run prolly to 8 or 9 psi so i wont be tempted to overboost

and the only reason im going boost is because the guy taht is gonna sponser me he makes turbo stuff so its a free thing pretty much

That's cool - just make sure that the paperwork is OK. I've seen more than a few people get sponsored - only to have to surrender their keys and title after X amount of time.

dont need any of that stuff im only gonna run around 6psi, i forget what the turbo is but the turbo is made for the R6 bike, its just a baby one so ill spool fast and everything, http://neukin.com/ thats who is making my stuff
i'd beg to differ, you'll want tuning and timing control for anything above about 2psi. you'll need a bigger fuel pump for sure, higher flow injectors, Wideband O2, and some way to control fuel as boost comes on and some way to dynamically control timing. the stock timing maps wont work under boost.

from what little research i have done it is much like the older corolla the ae86, from what people have said both cars should be fine with eveyrthing stock up to 8 psi, i will prolly invest in an safc just so i can tune a bit

ae86 had a different PCM with a different tune and different timing. you'll end up having to manually retard the timing, which will make the engine crawl when off boost. the only way to go is an EMS with dynamic timing control and knock retard.

ya but if im gonna be full boost at around 1500 rpms it wont matter if i retard it a bit, i dunno the guy who is gonan do it knows what he is doing, its his job so i dunno, kinda leaving it in his hands

oh boy.

full boost at X rpm is at WOT, not at part throttle. so unles you're going to be driving everywhere with the pedal to the floor... you can drive the car around at 4000 rpm and be in no boost, because engine rpm and exhaust flow are not a direct correlation, theres 3 factors, throttle opening, engine rpm, and exhaust volume. high engine rpm with low throttle gives small exhaust volume, not much if any turbo spool

you NEED to do ALOT more learning before you go ahead with this.

ya i need to look up on boost cause i havent ever had a turbo car so i had no need to know any of it, but the guy taht is doing it he builds manifolds and builds turbo cars all day long, he had a 9 second crx, he is gonna do it all and im gonan help out and learn and listen while he explains

Bikeman982

ya i need to look up on boost cause i havent ever had a turbo car so i had no need to know any of it, but the guy taht is doing it he builds manifolds and builds turbo cars all day long, he had a 9 second crx, he is gonna do it all and im gonan help out and learn and listen while he explains
It seems like the guy doing it has some additional knowledge and can probably make it work for you.

Make sure that he will pay for any parts that might need replacing, should they get damaged, otherwise you may end up paying for it.

eh im not to worried, im gonna get another geo and have that engine as a spare and then start on project awd 4agze geo

Bikeman982

eh im not to worried, im gonna get another geo and have that engine as a spare and then start on project awd 4agze geo
So you will have three cars, the one you regularly drive, the one you are turbo boosting, and the project Geo??

i plan on having a fleet sometime soon, ill have my turbo one, once taht is done awd 4agze, and then after that build a 4age daily driver, all geo prizms

Bikeman982

i plan on having a fleet sometime soon, ill have my turbo one, once taht is done awd 4agze, and then after that build a 4age daily driver, all geo prizms
You must like the Prizms a lot.

theyre a cheaper corolla.

ya i really like them alot whne you do a few things to them they turn into very fun little cars, plus people always put them down and they are an underdog love that, and ya they are cheaper than corollas, and when at a race whats better being able to tell people they got beat buy a corolla or a geo? ha

Bikeman982

ya i really like them alot whne you do a few things to them they turn into very fun little cars, plus people always put them down and they are an underdog love that, and ya they are cheaper than corollas, and when at a race whats better being able to tell people they got beat buy a corolla or a geo? ha

I would go for the car, but I am partial to the looks of the Corolla.

bike, all thats different is a rounder rear and the front bumper.

Hmm... Wonder if they do 4rnrs too.

Either way, the turbo and plumbing are the most expensive part of going turbo. fuel reg, injectors, are "relatively" cheaper.

Heh, I would be willing to pay for all of the of the other stuff, if i can get the turbo and plumbing for free!

might want a spare engine though... (hah!)

And in Fort Wayne, I am sure I can convince my wife that I need to visit a buddy who just moved there... and while I'm there, I had to get it "repaired"...

hmmm.... the possiblities.

tdk.

Wow. If you're hitting full boost by 1500 RPM then the turbo will be so undersized that you will be lucky to make more than stock power at high RPMs. Just make sure it's using an external wastegate. Also, the lower RPMs and boost are the areas where a stock tune is most likely to result in detonation. You could use a fuel pressure regulator to supply the extra fuel (that's very ghetto) and for the timing you could use something like an MSD boost retard. Or figure out how to hook up a greddy e-manage ultimate. I've tuned a few of those with good enough results. Someone approached me about turboing their corolla a few years back and I did determine that the trigger is compatible with many standalones. I think megasquirt works with it so you could do that. Just make sure the tuner knows what he's doing!

Personally I think you should look into a proper sized turbo like the T25 someone mentioned. It will be a lot more fun than just making a hissing noise.

trust me it wont just make a hissing noise, they guy taht is doing it is amazing, its his life/job

Topic List