Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Straight Line

By 954afe, December 9, 2006

Hate straight line but after surfing the net i found many people with the 7th gen corolla with the 4afe sayiong stuff like that this engine na will never hit below a 16 in the 1/4 mile, people with forged everything intakes exhuast and such said they cant break it, i wanna know if anyone knows the fastest NA 4afe 1/4 mile? think im gonna break it just to prove a point

good luck.

Unless your 7th Gen sprouts a jet engine out of the trunk... default_laugh

you dont think a 4afe can hit under 16 na? cause i went to the track and ran a 16.3, and thats just with my home made exhuast, home made cold air intake, advanced timing, clutch, and weight taking out

i dunno maybe that .4 seconds will be harder to get but once i get a few things tuned out i think it can, im hoping, prove the point that you can do alot with very little, i dunno wish me luck, wont be able to run till next summer, damn snow

Bikeman982

I don't have occassion to need to do the quarter mile in less than 16 seconds.

well neither do i other than just be like well there it can do it in less than 16, all i need to be able to do is take corners around cones

the stock toyota tune runs pretty rich at WOT as the rpm's climb, you can eek out a little more power with some WOT tuning.

There is a site that shows a 4AFE putting out something like 250WHP N/A - but that engine doesn't look anything liek the stock piece. I think the guy just wanted to make a point that you can build any engine well. But to make a 4AFE run that much - he dumped in something in the neighborhood of $15K-$25K just in engine mods.

That said - most "stock" 4AFE have trouble even hitting 18s in the 1/4. Better tires, a few bolt ons, maybe 17s. If you are running N/A engine tweaked to the gills, stripped the interior, run a lightweight wheel and tire, setup a suspension to better tend wheel hop, and weight transfer, maybe even run a spool to enhance traction and power put to the ground - then maybe you would hit 16s in the 1/4. Low displacement, FWD, N/A cars on a drag strip are already giving up too much of an advantage to get decent numbers.

I know a few 8th gen guys that have touched mid to low 16s in the 1/4. Only way they broke that was to spray or go forced induction. One guy in a 7th gen hit the high 15s on a 75 shot - 8th gen guys get there on a 50 shot.

wlel now that im going boost for a while i wont know, but i hit 16.3 with the two bolt ons, nothing in the trunk, better wired tires but teh wheel is heavier than stock, and a good suspension, i dont find it hard to do all of that and run low 16's the people who cant break into the mid 16's even with this car just dont try and cant drive i guess, and if he only hit high 15's with a 75 shot then i dunno thats pretty sad

Don't know - I'm pretty sure he's a good driver given the number on his time slip (RT, 60' time, etc.) But that is what he runs on average - anyone can crack off a couple of good ones, some days your car just "feels" stronger.

Wheel hop will kill most runs, even with sticky tires - if you have to feather the gas - your run is done, not enough torque to run it back up there. If you only get a hint of wheel hop with the stock motor - just think how much there will be if you add 75HP on top of that. Adding just a bit more power does not equal better ETs - you have to be able to put down the power effectively. If the tire was able to hold - maybe 14s with a 75HP shot. Easier to put good runs together if you are little shy on the power - takes more variables out of the equation.

But numbers are just numbers - you can put down some killer numbers - but average them over a period of time and you'll get a better feeling for what the car can do (more consistent runs). I've been driving competitvely for years - and every once and a while, I get a bad run here and there. Get a little cross-wind halfway up the track, you just lost a couple of tenths off your ET. Get a little sand on there inside of the 60' mark, run is down an easy 1 second in the ET. Even my bone stock CRX with 13x5 wheels and 90HP would put down low 16s runs trapping at 83-85 MPH all day long. Every once and a while, get a good tailwind - ET is touching the high 15s. Get a strong head wind - opps, run is now looking like 17s.

16.3 in the quarter is well above average (ie. faster ET than average) for what you have listed. What's your 60 ft times and trap speed look like? Running a 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way LSD?, What do you mean by 8K springs - the spring constant, k or some other metric?

well they are 450lbs springs, they guy said 8k but i wasnt sure what that ment so i called him and asked him cause these springs are for some other car, ya i about a mid 16 consitalntly, i thought the stock lsd was a 1.5way but i could be wrong so dont quote it,

Bikeman982

You must live near a racetrack.

I would take my car to the track (stock) and just stomp on the gas when the light turned green, to see what it does.

nah cant just stomp on it gotta graudually eas in the gas

Bikeman982

What happens if you just stomp on it - does it just "bog" down?

What happens if you just stomp on it - does it just "bog" down?

with a 5 speed you need to feather the clutch and gas together otherwise you'll either stall the car or if you just drop the clutch from higher rpms you'll burn it or break something.

well first off you can spin the tires, second its hard on the clucth 3rd a car doesnt make all of it power right away so why press the gass all the way right away?

Bikeman982

well first off you can spin the tires, second its hard on the clucth 3rd a car doesnt make all of it power right away so why press the gass all the way right away?
I figure the more gas you can burn in a short time, the more power you will get from the engine. I suppose it is related to the RPM and how efficiently it can burn the gas and deliver the power.

in an auto you pretty much just mash the gas, you can rev against the torque converter and launch the car, but theres not as much skill involved as there is in launching a manual car well.

So what was the result?

I figure if you put enough $$ down, you can make anything go fast...

But with a "normal" or slightly tuned corolla, anything in the 16s sounds like a good time.

I was never really into the drag strip scene (I was mainly drifting), but when I was going to the track (mostly b/c my buddies were going), I had a tough time getting under 14 in a slightly tuned nissan w/ 2L turbo.

Mind you, this was 10yrs ago. maybe technology has improved...

tdk.

ya 10 years ago that is pretty fast, wish we were still in that time, now days if you dont ahve a 12 second car that is a road track car its snip ha, well my turbo project is started and im hoping to be running a low 14 to high 13, and tahts just for straight line want it to still be an autocross car so we will see if the power spins them to much, doubt it will that much but ya know

Topic List: Go to Everything Else