Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Brazilian Corolla

by HappyMom, December 7, 2006

I'm in Sao Paulo on a short business trip and Brazil is small car heaven, where the 9th Gen Corolla is popular and considered a medium/big car.

The differences are mostly small, coloured door handles, black bumper strip on the rear bumper, and other small cosmetic changes.

One difference I noticed, I think is actually big: The wheels are a 4-lug and not a 5-lug. Doesn't that afect more than the wheels, parts like brakes. So Toyota would have to make brakes for the 4-lug and the 5-lug. Would this affect other mechanical parts? What about the Corollas in the rest of the world?

well there would be different rotors and hubs, but i think thats it. i have no clue why they did that, except to maybe get rid of extra 4 lug parts?

Bikeman982

Toyotas can be either 4 or 5 lug on the wheels.

I don't think it makes that much difference.

The 5 lug is probably stronger and a little safer.

The 4 lug is probably cheaper to manufacture.

the only thing that is the big difference with 4 lug and 5 lug is the choice in wheels, i bet like bitter said to get rid of extra parts, i think they prolly used something like the 7th gen or 8th gen if they use 4 lug, but it is weird that they would do that kinda change? would the 9th gen 5 lug fit the 7th gen? anyone have pictures?

Cost and availability is most likely the reasonning. Cars are small here. the only 5 lugs are larger more luxrious cars ans SUVs

I just thought I'd note that oddity, because from the outside they differences are only very very minor.

I don't know about the insides, but I am sure they have one that is either diesel, can run on alcool and gas, or easily retrofited to LNG

Sorry, Larry, a diesel or alcool Corolla won't fit in my suitcase

Bikeman982

Cost and availability is most likely the reasonning. Cars are small here. the only 5 lugs are larger more luxrious cars ans SUVs

I just thought I'd note that oddity, because from the outside they differences are only very very minor.

I don't know about the insides, but I am sure they have one that is either diesel, can run on alcool and gas, or easily retrofited to LNG

Sorry, Larry, a diesel or alcool Corolla won't fit in my suitcase

Four lug wheels are probably cheaper and that would make it more affordable outside the U.S.

Toyotas can be either 4 or 5 lug on the wheels.I don't think it makes that much difference.

The 5 lug is probably stronger and a little safer.

The 4 lug is probably cheaper to manufacture.

safer maybe, stronger no. the lug of the 5 lug is thinner and lighter than the lug of the 4 lug.

In Southern Africa my first (96 Toyota Conquest hatch) was a 4 lug and my 2002 Toyota Tazz hatch was also a 4 lug system.

The later new styled model Corollas (euro look) from about 2000 then changed to 5 lug designs.

I dont know where Brazil gets its Toyotas from but South Africa manufactures their Toyotas (and VW's and AUDI's and BMWs and HONDAS and ....ye about everything for export), law requires that atleast 85% of all material must be local and not imported.

That said I can say for sure that the Toyotas back in SA are far heavier and solid in feel to the ones I have driven here in the US.

Cheers

Sheldon

Topic List