Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

The Rare, Good, Honest Dealership

By Max, November 28, 2006

Max

There are plenty of nightmare stories about dealerships. Anybody got a good story? I'll start. Last night I took the car in for a new battery, wiper inserts, and oil change. The service writer tried to talk me out of spending my money on a battery, but I told him it was preventive, as the car approaches five years old. The oil change was free with my donation for Toys for Tots. The battery was 20 bucks off with a coupon my service writer had handy (for a better one than the car came with) and the inserts were 5 bucks each, no labor charge. The work was completed in 30 minutes.

There are plenty of nightmare stories about dealerships. Anybody got a good story? I'll start. Last night I took the car in for a new battery, wiper inserts, and oil change. The service writer tried to talk me out of spending my money on a battery, but I told him it was preventive, as the car approaches five years old. The oil change was free with my donation for Toys for Tots. The battery was 20 bucks off with a coupon my service writer had handy (for a better one than the car came with) and the inserts were 5 bucks each, no labor charge. The work was completed in 30 minutes.

There is a Ford Dealership in midland that I used to go to when I had my Contour. They were awesome, my car's HVAC blower swich and resistor pack were shot, I had been told that there was a recal on the parts, but I would have to pay for labor. I figured that was fair, so I droped it off. They called me 2 days later said it was done, I came in to sign the paper work and the tech just said to me "its all ready to go here are the keys" I replied by saying "what do I owe you?" and he said "well, it really only took 5 minutesish to fix, and we figured writing up the paper work and everything would have taken more time then it did to fix, free of charge.

That was a sweet deal. I ended up going there to have my oil changed over the winter because it was too cold and wet outside to do it myself. They charged me $21 for a motorcraft Synthetic blend and a motorcraft filter that included labor.

Very good dealership to deal with, and if I plan on buying Ford in the future (which I almost definately will), I probably will go to that dealership to find something.

Great dealer, Max.

Mine is honest too. They told me no need to change serpentine belt for noise if belt's not worn. Noise will just return with OEM part.

Independent mechanic did a Gatorback belt about 6 months ago. So far, so good.

THE BAD:

My wife purchased a brand new 2005 Rav4 L from Larry H Miller in 2005. (Karl Malone)

What a nightmare that was, the salesmen are hard sales to an extreme and are cutthroat in their ethics (or lack their of).

They told my wife who wanted a manual Rav4 and not an auto that if she wants a manual transition she would have to wait a minimum of 6 months for one to be shipped from Japan, more likely 8 months they said.

Well that kind of smells funny to me first of all.

Next up the one salesmen proceeded to flirt with my wife in front of me and brushed her hair, been new in the country from South Africa I sat there wondering to myself if this is normal in American culture while wanting to do as I would have back home, sending him to ICU.

Anyhow price was agreed on for taxes, dealer fees...you name it.

There was a $300.00 dollar rebate, which they stated would be mailed to her as a check.

While going over the finance agreement she noticed that the price was $300.00 more than agreed on.

When we asked what this was about, they stated it was for window etching.

We argued the point and they refused to back down, so we got up to leave, suddenly they agreed to remove the window etching cost.

All went fine and we where told that the leather seating and butt warmers that we paid $1800.00 extra for would be installed at our house in a week or so.

Two to three weeks later when checking up on the leather seats we are then suddenly told that we must bring the car in which we will loose for the day.

We took the car down in the morning and asked for a loaner, "We have no loaners available" was the reply from the dealership, but we will hire you a rental.

After waiting more than 1.5 hours we where taken down to the rental place who then proceeded to tell us that it is our responsibility to ensure that the car is returned with a full tank of gas or we would have to pay fines.

At this point I was really not a happy camper, but the best was still to come.

Remember that $300.00 window etching that we "didn’t pay for", well the $300.00 rebate was never ever sent, and so in actual fact we did pay for it.

Now they know nothing about the rebate, funny isn’t it?

Next up, got the car back with the leather throughout, everything looks great.... one problem...

The car was taken to another dealership a while later for a major service, we then find out that the leather is NOT LEATHER but is "pleather". (fake)

I refuse to even spit in the direction of anything with "Larry H Miller on".

Now for the good, my car purchase:

I went down to Mark Miller Toyota (not anything to do with Larry H Miller).

I had not established much credit in the US so not many dealerships where willing to help.

My cars of interest were the Scion Tc and Toyota Corolla.

The salesman was a pleasure to work with and didn’t try to force me into anything I was not interested in.

He suggested the lower priced Yaris instead of the Scion Tc.

When I didn’t show much interest in that, he got me into a brand new 2007 Corolla S and they organized financing for me as well.

All letters to me from the dealership are written and signed by hand, something that adds a far more personal touch.

They have really treated me very well and are always happy to assist with any issues I may have.

The dealerships in this country leave a lot to be desired for me.

Back home Toyota Japan now have taken over from Toyota South Africa.

When you buy a Toyota from a dealership, you buy from Toyota themselves.

When you have a complaint, it goes to Toyota, not some idiot billionaire like Larry H who doesnt care.

A complaint back home makes heads roll and gets problems fixed very quickly.

The same goes for all other brands from VW, AUDI, and BMW.... the list goes on.

I have the same piece of mind with Mark Miller Toyota that I have with Algoa Toyota back home.

And with the issues I've had with car sharks here that says a lot.

If you in the Salt Lake are and are looking for a Toyota, I highly recommend them.

Cheers

Sheldon

sheldon, as i work at a toyota dealer ship, do you still own the RAV? if so, or for that matter, even if you dont, call toyota and explain what happened. they (toyota) take customer service VERY seriously. if you have a complaint, please call. sounds to me like you have been taken advantage of, i strongly hope you will call and lodge a complaint. call the customer service line in CA. if you need he number, it is in the owners manual of any toyota, or i can give it to you.

please, if any of you have a complaint with a toyota dealer, please call toyota. they are trying to become number one, and they will not take a complaint lightly. they also dont care who owns the dealership. i work at a very small dealer (approx. 15 people) and we get an email from toyota as soon as they get a complaint. it basically says "fix the problem, then tell us how you fixed it. " they also want to know if you the customer is happy with the fix.

aaron

Thanks for the information.

I will definetly do so.

Kind regards

Sheldon

I took my 95 civic to Firestone Tire in Danvers Massachusetts to have the rear drum brakes serviced. They told me that the shoes had plenty of meat on them and the car didn't need any work. That blew my mind.

Max

Good to know the honest ones are out there, and in all regions. Thanks for getting the thread back on track, enotoga.

Bikeman982

I took my 95 civic to Firestone Tire in Danvers Massachusetts to have the rear drum brakes serviced. They told me that the shoes had plenty of meat on them and the car didn't need any work. That blew my mind.
Did they charge you for the inspection?

Topic List: Go to Everything Else