Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Petition

By muzak, November 28, 2006

I live on an older street in our community and I've mentioned about "Rice Burners" in my area revving their motors well after 2am.

I've got wind that the guy is starting a petition to have the "No Parking" bylaw changed. He personally has 5 vehicles in his driveway and it's a personal thing for him. I have a large list to give the city as he seems to have taken this petition to many older residents that probably are not sure what they are signing.

Question is.....I have our own reasons from this neighbourhood which is right across from a high school. Anyone with "cons" about this parking on the road during the day would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

careless students side swiping your cars, popping tires, general vandalism. also is it a high traffic area during the morning and afternoon school hours? do busses travel along the streets alot?

"No Parking" ordinances exist to ensure that the streets remain accessible to the residents, emergency vehicles (fire/ambulance/police) and to facilitate services such as snow plowing, utility systems maintenance, etc. If the street is on a public transit line, it is also intended to create clear areas for safe passenger pickup/dropoff at designated bus stops. In residential side streets the main focus is on access and aestetics. All of these considerations usually don't resonate with self-indulgent boors like your moronic neighbor, but you can take comfort in knowing that ordinances like the "no parking" rules are not subject to action on the basis of petitions. Such ordinances must be applied uniformly throughout the municipality's incorporated area, and street-by-street exceptions are generally not provided for in local law. If they were, they would create an horrendous burden to the city in terms of enforcement.

Ordinances of a minor nature such as parking are rarely enforced as it is -- with the exceptions being in areas where access to municipal facilities would be affected. My guess is that your neighbor has little chance of his petition even being seriously considered by your city planner or supervisor's office -- or whatever your local equivalent would be. Moreover, if he already has five vehicles in his driveway, he may be in violation of an ordinance already. I'd check that out at your city hall if I were you.

Write letters to your neighbors & city council members explaining the situation before your neighbor submits his petiton. They will see it for what it is, basically, that he wants to use the public street for storage.

• 320 posts

I have to disagree on street by street exceptions; they're certainly supported around here. However, they need a good reason and our council, probably typical, doesn't respond to petitions. they need three accidents to install a stop sign or direct the police to patrol a street. As for the 2 am guys, call the cops every time it happens and eventually either they'll start to care, or they'll haul YOU into court...

Thanks for the input from you guys. I did in fact deliver letters to everyone on the block and received many phone calls thanking me, mostly from the older retired people that live here.

I took this house over from my parents after they "left" and this home has been in the family since 1960. I remember watching Roger Maris hit his 61'st home run from the very bed room I use now.

Bikeman982

Laws and ordinances are made for the benefit of the majority and your neighbors do not constitute a majority.

Talk to the mayor or politician in your town/city - they have a lot of influence.

K_Watson

As for the rice burner guy leave him a note on his door saying something like this...

Dear sir,

On multiple occasions I have been awoke at very early hours of the morning by the noise of your vehicles' exhaust system. While I have remained silent thus far I have come to the conclusion that you have no intention of reducing the noise level of your vehicle. Therefore I am going to bring the matter to the attention of the (your town) Police anytime I am awoke by your vehicles exhaust. To be fair to you I will allow you 14 days to quiet your exhaust or alter your driving methods in order to reduce it's noise before I begin bringing the matter to the attention of the (your town) Police. I appreciate your prompt response in resolving this matter.

C.C. (Your Town) Police

DO NOT GIVE YOUR NAME!

Once again..thanks for the input. Things seem to have settled down now that the rice burners have taken to hibernation (in the guy's backyard). The neighbours are with me and thats a good thing. I own #2 and #10 on this street and maybe that's why this thing upsets me so much.

Bikeman982

Once again..thanks for the input. Things seem to have settled down now that the rice burners have taken to hibernation (in the guy's backyard). The neighbours are with me and thats a good thing. I own #2 and #10 on this street and maybe that's why this thing upsets me so much.
Is that two houses or two apartments?

Is that two houses or two apartments?
2 houses on 70' lots. That's maybe why I get so upset and notice it more. We are surrounded by maple trees and I have a friend who just moved into a 300,000' home in the new section of the city. This past fall, he had two leaves on his property and has yet..never seen any birds or wildlife on his property. I'll take an older established section of the city any day over urban sprawl.

Bikeman982

I live in a 30 something year old house and even though it has very little yard, it has far more yard space than the new ones they are building today.

Developers are mass-producing houses and cramming as many of them into whatever space they have to build on.

I live in a 30 something year old house and even though it has very little yard, it has far more yard space than the new ones they are building today. Developers are mass-producing houses and cramming as many of them into whatever space they have to build on.
True..and my feelings entirely!! We've been asked to subdivide our property at the corner house, but no way!

Topic List: Go to Everything Else