Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Fan Blower Squeak

by Styan, November 24, 2006

The fan on my 2000 tends to intermittently make squeaking noises at all speeds, I was just wondering where I should look to lubricate, or check to make sure everything is in the right place. With the cold winter months ahead, I don't think I'll be able to stay sane if it keeps squeaking.

I have a 2000 that does the same thing once in awhile as soon as it starts to get cold, unfortunately there is not much you can do about as the blower motor is a sealed unit and cannot be lubed.

I priced one at the dealer here (Canadian) and a new unit was a little over $100.00. Mine would do it for a few days and then become quiet again.

Bikeman982

I have a 2000 that does the same thing once in awhile as soon as it starts to get cold, unfortunately there is not much you can do about as the blower motor is a sealed unit and cannot be lubed.

I priced one at the dealer here (Canadian) and a new unit was a little over $100.00. Mine would do it for a few days and then become quiet again.

Isn't there a place you can spray some oil or lube to quiet it down??

Thanks for your reply, do you know where the blower located?!

Thanks for your reply, do you know where the blower located?!

I have a 99, and I had to replace mine at about 70,000 miles because of the squeaking. I ordered the part from Bob Bridge Toyota on the internet, and I think I paid about $70. It took me about 15 minutes to change it - it is right behind the glove box. A few screws, and you are done. You cannot lube it - it is the usual permanently sealed, lubed motor.

Same issue here a couple years ago (Corolla VE '98). It was impossible for me to see how to lube that motor.

Changed after ~6 months of intermittent noise.

Yep, behind the glove box, at your right.

Picked one from a junkyard: about 50$CAN. Works fine (to date).

Alrighty, thanks a lot for your replies.

Bikeman982

Sounds like you have to replace it and you have a couple of options.

From a dealer, online, or from a salvage/junkyard.

It is probably the bearings of the blower becoming worn and causing the noise.

My blower is squeaking on my '01 Corolla. I haven't got in there to check what the cause actually is but a piece of black "spongey" material came out of the driver's vent as if it had been dislodge and the noise temporarily stopped.

Also, one trick I have seen in squeaky computer fans is to lubricate them with vegetable oil. You put a drop on your finger and touch the axis of the fan. I forget what the advantage was over other oils but it works fine.

Bikeman982

My blower is squeaking on my '01 Corolla. I haven't got in there to check what the cause actually is but a piece of black "spongey" material came out of the driver's vent as if it had been dislodge and the noise temporarily stopped.

Also, one trick I have seen in squeaky computer fans is to lubricate them with vegetable oil. You put a drop on your finger and touch the axis of the fan. I forget what the advantage was over other oils but it works fine.

That is a good remedy, but I believe it was mentioned that the blower is a sealed unit and it would not work in that case.

How I *might* have fixed my fan's squeaking. And How I went to way too much effort.

I say might because the problem was only there in the summer in humid conditions. Going through the process helped me to see why this is was the case.

1) I removed the glove compartment

1.1 Remove passenger side trim from the runner of the door

1.2 Remove the trim under the glove compartment (there's a plastic nut that can be turned by hand)

1.3 Remove the two lower nuts and the three upper screws. As they start to come out you'll want to support the glove compartment.

1.4 Pull the glove compartment straight out.

2) Remove blower motor from housing (The haynes manual has a good picture of this in its section called "Blower unit - check removal and installation"

2.1 Disconnect electrical connector from motor (squeeze clip together close to the motor)

2.2 There are three brass colored screws with hex heads that can also take a flathead screwdriver or a Torx (spelling?) type screwdriver. Support the blower fan and back all three out. The fan and motor can now be lowered straight down.

2.3 There's a cover that will pop off on what was the screw hole that was closest to the driver's side of the car. Pop it off

2.4 With the assembly in its upright position shoot some WD 40 into the motor housing towards the base where the axis of the motor would be and work it in a little

3) Close it all back up and reassemble everything.

What I came to realise though was that this small access cover could have been reached without taking out the glove compartment or the blower unit.

The easy way

Look up under / behind your glove compartment. The round black plastic part closest to the door is the blower unit. On the bottom there are only 3 screws that have a hex head. The heads also take flathead screw drivers or torx screwdrivers.

Remove the one that is closest to the center of the car.

You should be able to get your finger under the cover at the edge to pop it off.

Spray a little WD 40 through the straw towards the base of the blower unit. You're trying to lubricate the lower axis of the motor.

Snap the cover in place and screw it down.

That's it.

Topic List