Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tune up

by Max, July 26, 2003

Max

So, the manual states my 2003 won't need a tuneup for about the first 75,000 miles. Thing is, I barely drive 5,000 miles a year. Got the car March 2002. It has 6,000 miles. Performance and mpg all good. When do you suggest a tune-up? At the mileage in the manual, or sooner?

Guest Captain_Toyota

Guest Captain_Toyota

You should be fine waiting untill 75,000 miles. Acutally, 75,000 seems a little short. Most vehicles nowdays you can go 100,000 miles.

Evening my '99 F-150 says to go 100,000 miles. Last summer I had a coil that failed. At the time I thought, "its got 88,000 miles on it, maybe one of the plugs fouled out", well I pulled the plug and it looked brand new. No deposits, no errosion the gap was right on the money at .52".

Anyways, as long as its running fine change them at 75k.

My manual say 120k before changing the plugs. A "tune-up" isn't what it used ot be. The serice intervals for components are more spread out on todays vehicles. A tune-up on a older car is primarily a valve adjustment and resetting the engine ot TDC. with otdays engine tolerances, this isn;t nessesary until hgiher miles.

If you mileage and preformance is good and it's running smooth, I wouldn't worry about it.

Topic List