Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1995 Corolla Fuel Injector Flush

by Leigh, November 19, 2006 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for the wonderful support, tips and advise that you have provided in the past.

While getting new front tyres for my AE102 1995 Corolla Conquest, the technician told me that I need to have the fuel injectors flushed out at a cost of $150.00.

Technician couldn't tell me any benefits of the procedure except that it would give me more power and that its required given the age of my car (Done 332,000 kms), especially with regard to the amount of "crap" thats in today's fuel.

Anyway, I'm not sure about this one. In theory its probably a good thing to have done, indeed, to unclog the injectors and get rid of the "crap", but, its expensive.

They claim to do it by placing a hose with detergent through the engine head and having the car run and cycle the cleaner through with the "crap" etc coming out the exhaust.

I put a bottle of the Wynn's (It wasn't that brand, but very similar) fuel injector cleaner into the fuel tank and the car kept on "spluttering" and "jerking" and wasn't very plesant to drive. That has since stopped.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Leigh Styles.

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for the wonderful support, tips and advise that you have provided in the past.

While getting new front tyres for my AE102 1995 Corolla Conquest, the technician told me that I need to have the fuel injectors flushed out at a cost of $150.00.

Technician couldn't tell me any benefits of the procedure except that it would give me more power and that its required given the age of my car (Done 332,000 kms), especially with regard to the amount of "crap" thats in today's fuel.

Anyway, I'm not sure about this one. In theory its probably a good thing to have done, indeed, to unclog the injectors and get rid of the "crap", but, its expensive.

They claim to do it by placing a hose with detergent through the engine head and having the car run and cycle the cleaner through with the "crap" etc coming out the exhaust.

I put a bottle of the Wynn's (It wasn't that brand, but very similar) fuel injector cleaner into the fuel tank and the car kept on "spluttering" and "jerking" and wasn't very plesant to drive. That has since stopped.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Leigh Styles.

Why don't you just spray some throttle body cleaner into the air intake and brush off the crap

with a brush first.

I really don't know anything about injector cleaning... maybe someone else on this board can answer.

$150 is a little high, ask and independant shop if they do pressurized injector cleaning and see what they charge.

Bikeman982

You can probably get them fairly clean by spraying some injector cleaner into the intake.

It should remove carbon and deposits from the injectors.

Leigh,

Before spending $150 I would add a high end fuel injection cleaner to a full tank of fuel. Techron is supposed to work well and cost is 8 or 9 dollars. Run the first tank close to empty and repeat with another full tank of fuel.

You should notice a difference.

Good luck,

Jay in MA

Bikeman982

I agree - a fuel injector cleaner would be cheaper and easier than having it done by a dealer for $150. Do it a couple of times for maximum benefit.

if you wanted to flush your engine, you should buy some Seafoam. you use about 1/3 of it. you have to open up your brake booster hose and then insert a pumped funnel. while putting that in slowly, you turn on your engine and rev it to about 1500 rpms. keeping it there until all of the Seafoam goes through your engine. this will clean out most of that sludge and crap in your car =) for fuel injector, i buy the lucas. put that in my gas tank also. helps increase gas mileage and keeps lubricates your pistons and keeps your engine alive

If you really think your injectors are clogged, then you might want to send them off. http://www.rceng.com/service.htm#INJECTOR

I have also had luck with redline fuel injector cleaner as well. For cleaning out the intake TB and manifold, I like seafoam. I have had great luck with this stuff. It is also suppose to be able to clean fuel injectors as well, but I like using redline fuel injector cleaner. You add just a little to your tank at a time and it is a more gentle product. Even with chevron fuel injector cleaner, I've had cars sputter on me. I only use redline now.

You have a 95, so you should be in the clear. I wouldn't recommend seafoam for a drive by wire system. I've read post on other forums where people have gotten sensors wet and ruined them by trying old school tune up tricks on them.

The best way to clean fuel injectors is to remove them from the fuel rail. Disconnect the feed line and free the rail. Then remove the fuel injectors and spray them down with carb cleaner (or something similar). I like to clean the injector port (the part of the block that the injectors enter) with some q-tips while I have access. Reinstall the injectors making sure the o-rings are lubed well (I use vaseline or other petroleum jelly).

Hope this helps.

Bikeman982

The best way to clean fuel injectors is to remove them from the fuel rail. Disconnect the feed line and free the rail. Then remove the fuel injectors and spray them down with carb cleaner (or something similar). I like to clean the injector port (the part of the block that the injectors enter) with some q-tips while I have access. Reinstall the injectors making sure the o-rings are lubed well (I use vaseline or other petroleum jelly).

Hope this helps.

Sounds like a good cleaning method to me.

It would clean the external parts, but what about internally?

Do you use a fuel additive?

I dont use a fuel additive. As for cleaning the inside, I try to spray the carb cleaner down inside the injector as best as I can. However, I believe that the ends of the injector is where gunk will build up first.

Bikeman982

I dont use a fuel additive. As for cleaning the inside, I try to spray the carb cleaner down inside the injector as best as I can. However, I believe that the ends of the injector is where gunk will build up first.
That's probably true. I have never taken out the injectors so I don't really know what the best cleaning method would be.

I always thought that they could be cleaned by spraying some cleaner into the intake.

I always thought that they could be cleaned by spraying some cleaner into the intake.
Well, that might help clean the tip of the injectors, but usually, spraying cleaner inside the throttle body will just clean the TB and the first part of the intake manifold. Even then, it doesnt do such a great job with either one of those. I like to remove the TB to clean it.

Bikeman982

Well, that might help clean the tip of the injectors, but usually, spraying cleaner inside the throttle body will just clean the TB and the first part of the intake manifold. Even then, it doesnt do such a great job with either one of those. I like to remove the TB to clean it.

I take it you are under the "remove to clean" method as the preferred way to clean everything.

It probably works best that way. I don't have a problem with mine, but if I did, I would first try spray cleaning, or additives.

After that I would clean it the removal way.

I take it you are under the "remove to clean" method as the preferred way to clean everything.It probably works best that way. I don't have a problem with mine, but if I did, I would first try spray cleaning, or additives.

Yeah, well, I tried using the additives and sprays, but they never worked....or at least, worked that well.

Bikeman982

I take it you are under the "remove to clean" method as the preferred way to clean everything.It probably works best that way. I don't have a problem with mine, but if I did, I would first try spray cleaning, or additives.

Yeah, well, I tried using the additives and sprays, but they never worked....or at least, worked that well.

That's good that you have that capability to remove them for cleaning.

A lot of people do not have the mechanical aptitude to attempt that undertaking.

It is probably the best way to get it clean and the car will run better as a result.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm