Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By twinky64, November 19, 2006

I'm wondering if I should join the ASE and/or ASME at my university. I am currently a Mechanical Engineer major and I'm into automotive.

SAE = Society of Automotive Engineering

ASME = American Society of Mechanical Engeineers

99Contour, this needs your opinion

If anybody has ever been in this "club" and/or are currently enrolled in it, can you please shed some light about it? Did you like/dislike it? Why?

Currently at my school, they are undergoing 3 projects that I know of

1) Design and build a baja buggy and race them

2) Design and build an RC plane that can successfully fly with a specified weight load. Must take off and land successfully without the wings falling off or the landing gears cumpling and sundering apart

3) Design and build a Formula 1 Race car.

Sounds pretty fun to me. Opinions like mad on this one please.

Bikeman982

I'm wondering if I should join the ASE and/or ASME at my university. I am currently a Mechanical Engineer major and I'm into automotive.

If anybody has ever been in this "club" and/or are currently enrolled in it, can you please shed some light about it? Did you like/dislike it? Why?

Currently at my school, they are undergoing 3 projects that I know of

1) Design and build a baja buggy and race them

2) Design and build an RC plane that can successfully fly with a specified weight load. Must take off and land successfully without the wings falling off or the landing gears cumpling and sundering apart

3) Design and build a Formula 1 Race car.

Sounds pretty fun to me. Opinions like mad on this one please.

I was a member of ASME after I went to work full-time and school for Mechanical Engineering at Northeastern University in Boston, but was not very active in it.

I think that if those projects interest you -then join up and join in.

• 1,424 posts

As you know, I am also a MME major, and I'm definitely into automotive. I am a member of ASME, but I also hang out with the SAE guys a lot and help them out with SAE when they ask for it.

Either group would be good to belong to. The projects they do are fun and our chapter of ASME does projects to help the community and the people of the community. We are currently working on a power easel that can be operated by a remote for a man who has limited arm strength after an injury. He paints and is incredibly talented, but he can no longer adjust his easel because of his injury. By helping him, we are not only gaining experience, but we are helping someone get back the ability to do what they love.

We meet once a month to discuss the goings on. We take field trips, we have shirts, and we are friends who network to help each other with classes and such. SAE is the same way, it is just that all their field trips are automotive related and only some of the ASME trips are.

-the99contour

How does the SAE differ from ASME? For ME majors, which looks better on paper?

• 1,424 posts

SAE deals only with items relating to Automobiles. ASME deals with anything mechanical engineering related, but our chapter relates to automobiles quite a bit, although, as I posted earlier we do other projects too.

Either one looks good on a resume, if you're 100% sure you will go into an automotive field, join SAE. If you're like me and are only 80% or so sure that you are going into the automotive field, then join ASME. I can tell you this, ASME will show that you can work with both the automotive and non-automotive end of the Mechanical Engineering field.

SAE deals only with items relating to Automobiles. ASME deals with anything mechanical engineering related, but our chapter relates to automobiles quite a bit, although, as I posted earlier we do other projects too.

Either one looks good on a resume, if you're 100% sure you will go into an automotive field, join SAE. If you're like me and are only 80% or so sure that you are going into the automotive field, then join ASME. I can tell you this, ASME will show that you can work with both the automotive and non-automotive end of the Mechanical Engineering field.

Niiiiiiiice! Then in that case, I'll join ASME. Like you, I'm perhaps 75%-80% sure.

ASE is for Mechanics.Its not a club

• 1,424 posts
ASE is for Mechanics.Its not a club

No one said anything about ASE.

We were talking about ASME and SAE. ASME is the American Society or Mechanical Engineers. SAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers, and both are professional organizations, aka clubs. Many people who study engineering in college join one or the other because it is a good experience and is something to put on your resume.

-the99contour

Member ASME

Topic List: Go to Everything Else