Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Benford's Law October 23, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Benford's Law

Hi. I'm a new member to this board and I wanted to share a few details about the Corolla my dad gave

me. It's a '99 VE with 207,000 miles (1ZZFE engine, I think). Yes, I searched the boards about the oil burning problem and this old dark green beauty uses up about 1 qt. of Valvoline 5W/30 every 600-700 miles of 60mph avg highway driving (slow and careful driver).

I understand the rings and seals problem that is common with this kind of car but it still gets great gas mileage (38-40 mpg at 60 mph) and it still runs like a great peppy new car in spite of its expensive oil-drinking habit.

The oil has been changed every 3,000 miles since new and it won't even use any oil AT ALL until about 1,000-1,500 miles into the oil change cycle. The consumption slowly gets worse and worse until the 3,000-mile mark where I pretty much have to store a Saudi Arabian oil field's worth of supplies in my trunk to make it last through the homestretch.

I still love this old car and I would like to drive it as long as possible just to see how many miles I can rack up on the odometer.

Should I worry about the oxygen sensor/emissions? I'm not a mechanic so I don't know what to do here. I never see smoke coming out of the car.

Would switching to Valvoline 5W/30 Max Life harm the engine that has been used to regular Valvoline for so long? Is it really worth the price difference?

And, as a final speculative question....How many miles of life are possibly left on this one? It still runs great as long as I keep nursing it (I judiciously try to keep the oil level above halfway between the MIN/MAX marks at all times).

You guys have been really great at answering other Corolla owners' concerns so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Thanks for any readings and postings.

ooohhh, 207k miles and original motor? That is quite good, in metric that is like 330,000km. its not long for this world, sounds like a rebuild is on the cards. I am sure there is a place near you where you can get an exchange rebuilt motor for a reasonable price, compared to buying a new car, that is.... Don't bother rebuilding it yourself, just getting the tools needed will cost more than a rebuilt motor.

• 149 posts
Hi. I'm a new member to this board and I wanted to share a few details about the Corolla my dad gave me. It's a '99 VE with 207,000 miles (1ZZFE engine, I think). Yes, I searched the boards about the oil burning problem and this old dark green beauty uses up about 1 qt. of Valvoline 5W/30 every 600-700 miles of 60mph avg highway driving (slow and careful driver).

I understand the rings and seals problem that is common with this kind of car but it still gets great gas mileage (38-40 mpg at 60 mph) and it still runs like a great peppy new car in spite of its expensive oil-drinking habit.

The oil has been changed every 3,000 miles since new and it won't even use any oil AT ALL until about 1,000-1,500 miles into the oil change cycle. The consumption slowly gets worse and worse until the 3,000-mile mark where I pretty much have to store a Saudi Arabian oil field's worth of supplies in my trunk to make it last through the homestretch.

I still love this old car and I would like to drive it as long as possible just to see how many miles I can rack up on the odometer.

Should I worry about the oxygen sensor/emissions? I'm not a mechanic so I don't know what to do here. I never see smoke coming out of the car.

Would switching to Valvoline 5W/30 Max Life harm the engine that has been used to regular Valvoline for so long? Is it really worth the price difference?

And, as a final speculative question....How many miles of life are possibly left on this one? It still runs great as long as I keep nursing it (I judiciously try to keep the oil level above halfway between the MIN/MAX marks at all times).

You guys have been really great at answering other Corolla owners' concerns so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Thanks for any readings and postings.

Where do you live ?? Could you step up to a 10W-30 ?? Is the car leaking the oil or burning it ?? A '99 VE with that mileage is of little value and wouldn't be worth rebuilding the engine. I would go with a heavier oil and nurse it to the end.

P.B. '98 LE 100,000+ miles

Benford's Law

--I live in the state of Missouri USA

--Forgot to mention the car has an automatic tranny, which is still in good shape (fluid has never been dark, but it gets a little sloppy at higher gear (45-50 mph))

--The car definitely burns oil because the only leak has been water from the air conditioner. I'm pretty certain it needs a valve or ring job done to the motor. The oil consumption problem first started around 140,000 miles.

--Yes, the engine is the original 1ZZFE.....even the brakes were original until 170,000 miles since it's mostly driven on the highway.

--I have given heavier oil some serious thought but I didn't want to harm the engine and the owner's manual/engine oil cap specified 5W/30. I read somewhere that the engine nooks/crannies/tolerances are small in the 1ZZFE and a change to thicker oil would cause problems? Is this true?

--I could always switch to Valvoline Max Life, but I'm not a car expert...Just a curious onlooker getting a thrill out of seeing how far I can take this car.

--I also wonder why the car does not use any oil at all during the first 1,000 miles after an oil change (when the oil is still gold-colored on the dipstick). It only uses up oil at at faster and faster pace during the next 2,000 miles before an oil change when the oil is a darker color.

--I live in the state of Missouri USA--Forgot to mention the car has an automatic tranny, which is still in good shape (fluid has never been dark, but it gets a little sloppy at higher gear (45-50 mph))

--The car definitely burns oil because the only leak has been water from the air conditioner. I'm pretty certain it needs a valve or ring job done to the motor. The oil consumption problem first started around 140,000 miles.

--Yes, the engine is the original 1ZZFE.....even the brakes were original until 170,000 miles since it's mostly driven on the highway.

--I have given heavier oil some serious thought but I didn't want to harm the engine and the owner's manual/engine oil cap specified 5W/30. I read somewhere that the engine nooks/crannies/tolerances are small in the 1ZZFE and a change to thicker oil would cause problems? Is this true?

--I could always switch to Valvoline Max Life, but I'm not a car expert...Just a curious onlooker getting a thrill out of seeing how far I can take this car.

--I also wonder why the car does not use any oil at all during the first 1,000 miles after an oil change (when the oil is still gold-colored on the dipstick). It only uses up oil at at faster and faster pace during the next 2,000 miles before an oil change when the oil is a darker color.

--I live in the state of Missouri USA

--Forgot to mention the car has an automatic tranny, which is still in good shape (fluid has never been dark, but it gets a little sloppy at higher gear (45-50 mph))

With that kind of mileage on the original engine, I wouldn't even mind oil consumption if the rest of the car is still okay.

If money is a prime concern regarding oil usage, I'd just simply switch to dino oil.........Of course, a lot of the cars I've driven in the past used more oil than gas!!! LOL!!!!!!

Best of luck with your 'Rolla!!!!!!

timkedz

I've been burning about a quart every 800-1000 miles on my 98 for the last 25,000 miles with no noticeable issues.

My advice is the same as others - buy oil by the case and keep feeding it until it dies.

Had a Corolla that went 300k+, the last 3 years I had it I ditched the 5w-30 and went to 10w-30 synth, reduced consumption considerably and the synth still had good cold weather flowing properties. In warmer weather I even went to 10w-40. It won't hurt it...It's a Toyota.

Bikeman982

My suggestion is just to buy oil by the case and keep the car forever (or until it stops running). Look at the cost comparison between an engine change (consider the cars value and if it would be worth it) and the cost of the oil to continue as you have been doing. I think a slightly thicker oil may last a little longer. Go for the 300,000 miles!

I had a 1986 Chevy S-10 4 banger that used about a quart and a half of 10W-30 dino oil between changes at 4K intervals. I changed to Mobil 1 10W-30 and it only used 1/2 quart between changes at 8 or 10K intervals. Mileage at conversion was over 100K.

Blends have a minimal amount of synthetic....none are higher than 5% synthetic.

If it continues to burn oil it won't be nearly as harmful to your sensors and cat.

I only use Mobil 1 product now in any engines that I care about.

Some light reading for you..... default_biggrin

http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

http://yotarepair.com/Automotive_News.html

http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/2005/pr_extended_drain.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/

http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

http://www.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/Newsro...r_250105_02.asp

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...erformance.aspx

Jay in MA

friendly_jacek

Most dino 5W30 shear down to 5W20 in 'bout 1000 miles explaining your consumption observation. You have to step up to shear stable 10W30 oils like delo 400 10W30 (very hard to get). Synthetic oils would be cost prohibitive with your consumption. In summers, delo 400 15W40 could be the ticket to solve your problems.

Bikeman982

Most dino 5W30 shear down to 5W20 in 'bout 1000 miles explaining your consumption observation. You have to step up to shear stable 10W30 oils like delo 400 10W30 (very hard to get). Synthetic oils would be cost prohibitive with your consumption. In summers, delo 400 15W40 could be the ticket to solve your problems.

Heavier weight oil should last longer. You will still have oil consumption, but at a little slower rate.

Benford's Law

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my post on my high-mileage Corolla. It's at 208k miles now after some more road trips.

After carefully reading everyone's advice I've decided to continue feeding it more and more Valvoline 5W-30 throughout this winter for easy start-ups here in the Midwestern USA.

When the weather warms up next year I might go ahead and switch to Valvoline 10W-30. If the consumption gets really bad later on I'll even consider 10W-40 during summers and 10W-30 during winters.

My goal with this car is 250,000 + miles. That way I can tell all my friends that my Corolla would have made it to the Moon if a road existed towards it. default_laugh

Thanks again, all.

~Benford's Law

Bikeman982

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my post on my high-mileage Corolla. It's at 208k miles now after some more road trips.After carefully reading everyone's advice I've decided to continue feeding it more and more Valvoline 5W-30 throughout this winter for easy start-ups here in the Midwestern USA.

When the weather warms up next year I might go ahead and switch to Valvoline 10W-30. If the consumption gets really bad later on I'll even consider 10W-40 during summers and 10W-30 during winters.

My goal with this car is 250,000 + miles. That way I can tell all my friends that my Corolla would have made it to the Moon if a road existed towards it. default_laugh

Thanks again, all.

~Benford's Law

You would also need some gas stations along that road to the moon!

That's about 800 fill-ups. Wow! Figure at an average of $15/fill-up, we're talking $12,000 spent on gas during the life of the car. Other cars you spend that much in gas and more, and it's not due to the vehicle's longevity!

Bikeman982

That's about 800 fill-ups. Wow! Figure at an average of $15/fill-up, we're talking $12,000 spent on gas during the life of the car. Other cars you spend that much in gas and more, and it's not due to the vehicle's longevity!
Yes, but spread out over time, it does not seem like much.

That's true, plus a big part of its life was in a bygone era of low fuel prices, so the estimate may be lower.

Bikeman982

That's true, plus a big part of its life was in a bygone era of low fuel prices, so the estimate may be lower.

It makes more sense to keep it for the long run than to switch cars and end up with something less fuel efficient.

Benford's Law

Hi all,

I'm just doing a brief update on my '99 Corolla. I will try to update this forum with occasional reports about the car just to keep this topic alive.

Everything about the car is fine. It now has 211,600 miles and I'm still using Valvoline 5W-30. Since the weather is so cold now the car seems to use a little less oil than normal.

~Benford's Law

Benford's Law

The car is now at 214,800 miles and everything's A-OK!

Still adding oil as described before.

It has been increasingly difficult for me to find this topic with all the different threads on this forum, so it appears I will have to update this fairly frequently.

~Benford's Law

Benford's Law

218,400 miles

Everything's still normal. It always seems to use somewhat more oil during the summers than in the winters...maybe it's my imagination....Bah!

~Benford's Law

Benford's Law

Hi all,

I am using this thread for regular mileage updates and I plan to continue doing so, but I ran into a minor problem with the Corolla that has nothing to do with mechanical issues. It is a really hot summer here in Missouri and the Corolla is starting to show signs of its age (still looks sharp on the outside, though). Even though I crack my windows when it's not raining, the plastic/vinyl rims around the window frames are starting to melt and warp. Also, the cloth headliner bordering the top of the back window frame is also starting to sag and fall off a little. Any ideas on how to combat this problem? Thanks for any input.

~Benford's Law

Guest 98ceMCO

Hi all,I am using this thread for regular mileage updates and I plan to continue doing so, but I ran into a minor problem with the Corolla that has nothing to do with mechanical issues. It is a really hot summer here in Missouri and the Corolla is starting to show signs of its age (still looks sharp on the outside, though). Even though I crack my windows when it's not raining, the plastic/vinyl rims around the window frames are starting to melt and warp. Also, the cloth headliner bordering the top of the back window frame is also starting to sag and fall off a little. Any ideas on how to combat this problem? Thanks for any input.

~Benford's Law

Hi,

I have a '98 CE with the same issues. If the headliner is in good condition otherwise (i.e. no tears or holes) you may want to try using a glue gun to secure it. You can pull a small portion of it back from the window frame, squirt a small amount of glue on the upper surface of the headliner and press upward until it holds. Rub the area a few times with the palm of your hand or other flat item to ensure even distribution and minimize wrinkles. This can be a bit tricky (you have to take care to not allow more of it to come loose) and is not practical if the rest of the headliner is about to go (mine is still holding up in most places). Alternatively, you can have a new headliner installed for around $75.00.

The melting window frame trim (the white plastic around the door frame, right?) seems to be a common problem also, attributable to sunlight and heat (almost every Corolla of this vintage that I have seen here in Florida has had this issue). I checked NAPA and Advance Auto Parts online but they do not appear to have this type of trim available. I would just leave it alone for now, as long as the window and door frame seals (black rubber) are intact and there are no water leaks. If you would like to replace it for cosmetic reasons you may want to consider salvage yards as a source. You could check with a dealer or other source of new Toyota parts, but anything they have will be considerably more expensive.

Hope this helps.

98ceMCO

Does anyone think auto rx could help ben not burn so much oil? I havent used it but Im considering it since Im burning about 1/5qt 5w30 every two weeks.

Bikeman982

The car is now at 214,800 miles and everything's A-OK!Still adding oil as described before.

It has been increasingly difficult for me to find this topic with all the different threads on this forum, so it appears I will have to update this fairly frequently.

~Benford's Law

One way to keep track of this thread is to go to it, copy the link in the webpage location, then paste it onto a new link on your desk top.

That way you always have it without searching for it. It works for me on different threads. Hope this helps.

I'm not familiar with AutoRX but I was wondering if SeaFoam might help. If I recall correctly, the problem with these engine is dirty/caked oil rings????

SeaFoam can be added to the fuel, crankcase or directly to the combustion chamber via intake or vacuum line. It's basically a decarbonizer.

Jay in MA

Does anyone think auto rx could help ben not burn so much oil? I havent used it but Im considering it since Im burning about 1/5qt 5w30 every two weeks.

Topic List