Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Suspension Noise After Getting Rims 2001

Guest jjb2222000

I have a 2001 corolla Le. I had some problems this weekend putting on 17" rims.(tire size 205/40/17) First somehow I stripped some of the bolts while putting the right rear one on so now I'm riding on three 17" rims and one 14". Is it bad for the car to do that?? I've also been hearing some suspension noise, any Idea what that could be??

Any advice would be appreciated:)

Should have no problems with the tire height - 185/65R14 are nearly the same height as the 205/40R17. Won't be bad for the car - just like riding around on the compact spare wheel - just don't expect the car to behave perfectly. Your braking and handling as well as ride quality will be "off" - best to get those bolts/nuts replaced ASAP.

As far as suspenstion noise - it reallly depends on the offset of the new wheels. If they are off the range spec'd by Toyota - you will have clearance issues. Looks around the wheel well and on the face of the tires - see if you see any rubber being rubbed off or making contact with the fender - check around the mudflaps.

With a 40 series tire - you'll have a ton of roise noise coming into the cabin - not much you can do about that, just what you trade for stiffer sidewalls. About a 16" is about as big as I'd go with a 8th generation Corolla (that is what I run currently) and have zero clearance issues. You can stuff a wheel as large as 18" under the fenders - but you will have to "roll" the fender lip to get proper clearance. 17" wheels are hit or miss - sometime you have to roll the fenders - others you will be OK. If you have dropped the suspension or lowered it any way - you will have to roll the fender lip.

Good Luck.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)