Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Is Upgrading Worth While?

By twinky64, October 2, 2006

Who thinks that upgrading the corolla with aftermarket parts is worthwhile, whether it be for aesthetics or for performance? If you do want to upgrade, please state which area of upgrading and why you would choose to undertake that mod.

I want to lower the car, get a rear sway bar (mine doesn't have one), a strut bar, change the headlights/taillights/paint, and redo the interior. Other that getting an exhaust and intake, there is not much more one can do to the 1zzfe for added performance. So with engine hardware knocked out the park as a factor of upgrading, I'm only left with handling, braking, electronics, and aesthetics. Problem is, I don't want the car to look "enhanced" without the power and performance to back up the looks.

Bikeman982

I think that everyone personalizes their car and some people do upgrades as a way to make it work for them.

Each of us has our own version of what is best and just by seeing what others have done can give us some good ideas.

I think that everyone personalizes their car and some people do upgrades as a way to make it work for them.Each of us has our own version of what is best and just by seeing what others have done can give us some good ideas.
But at the same time, I don't want to look ghetto or get laughed at. I'm wondering what is acceptable for a mod on a corolla without being shamed?

Well, it is your car... do what makes you happy, what works for you. Who cares what people think of your vehicle? Like my white stock auto would never, ever, make it into magazines like Hot 4s or Autosalon. But, it is legal, insurable, is cheap to run, drivable on dirt roads, and as of tomorrow, paid for. I have made some minor asthetic improvements by way of colour-coding and I have upgraded the stereo a bit because I like my music. These are the things that are important to me.

What is acceptable? Depends on the person. From my point of view, looking thru various modified 4cyl magazines, the cars are all cookie cutter jobs - lowered, turbo, huge rims, new paint and interior, some subs, new bodykit. They all look the same, it is very boring. Build one of these and there will be no further question as to your lack of imagination.

If I was going to do up my '05 I would drop it a little (would instal a pedders sportsryder suspension), have 17x7" wheels w/215/45 R17 rubber. Then I'd upholster the interior like that of a BMW - recolour the dashboard black, maybe cream leather on seats, door trims etc. Then I'd install maybe a sat-nav/stereo head unit. Engine wise, maybe a small low-boost turbo to aid my progress. This is my corolla Utopia, a true mini-lexus.

But just doing the sums now it'd cost upwards of A$15,000, for a car worth A$19,000 or so. After the upgrades, the value would be... still $19,000 (mods usually don't add a jot to the value). Bear in mind your car is a depreciating asset; it would make more sense to prolong the experience rather than enhance it and spend your hard earned on upkeep.

Again, it depends on your personality, finances, time/effort prepared to put in - not what some other guy thinks default_smile

If you are planning on reselling your car in a couple of years I would be careful what changes you make to it. Lowering for instance, would lesson the market for buyers as only a handful care for that option. A Corolla doesn't usually appeal to those people....but looks darn good when done.

There's a guy in the next city that has an XRS that has claimed he lowered it 4". I've seen the car and can't imagine how he's done it. He's actually been on this site before, but I forget his name.

Everyone eventually comes to this point - where one has to determine if mods are worth it or not.

The Corolla is a very good car - but options for performance mods are limited. Cannot turn the car into something that it is not - unless you want to invest a small fortune into it and are willing to not get any of it back.

First - you have to determine if you are going to hold onto the car until you run it into the ground or plan on selling it or trading it in sometime in the future. If you plan on trading it in - withhold from any gross modifications - most modders will not recoup any money back from those mods. Otherwise - mod away.

Options for engine mods are very limited - usually restricted to intake and exhaust modifications. Automatic to manual transmission swaps have been very popular. Engine swaps are limited - especially with the newer generations (emissions regs and local laws regarding the legality of those swaps).

Fortunantely - the Corolla takes very well to suspension and brake mods. With very little invested in the car (just a change from the OEM tires can yield a huge difference in handling) - you can completely change the behavior of the car. Highway jaunts and backroad running become trivial. Upgraded springs, struts, wheels and tires might set you back about $1K to start minus install - but would easily match the handling of more expensive cars in and out of the Corolla's class. Brake upgrade of just the friction material - can generate better brake feel and less fade. Don't have to go to extreme brake kit unless you need the added capacity (ie, forced induction warrants more brakes - have to balance GO with the WOAH).

On my personal vehicles - the first thing to go were the OEM tires and brake pads. With upgraded rubber, lightweight alloy wheels, and better friction material (Hawk HPS) - car's behavior was markedly better. Upgraded suspension (TRD springs, KYB GR2 struts) and intake/exhaust - (K&N drop-in air filter in OEM airbox, TRD exhaust) - round out the package. Car looks stock, just slightly lower (~1"), wheels are not extreme (PLUS+0) or flashy - but my car stops better with little to no brake dive, turns in smartly, corners securely, and rides almost as smooth as OEM. Last piece would be a custom made strut tower bar (4-point) design. Other strut bars would be sufficient, but I wanted something different for a potential upgrade in the future.

• 320 posts

I'll second the vote for tires at the very least. That's the best buy you can make. Just getting a better rubber formula/tread pattern can truly transform your Corolla and by-the-way greatly improve its breaking. With brake pads be careful or you might end up eating your discs. Likewise with suspension you may find tradeoffs with ride - witih tires the ride can be altered only a tiny little bit with a massive improvement in cornering and stopping. For lowering, a slight lowering usually is good (an inch or so), but more than that and you may run into problems with clearance especiallyin snow. Strut bars also tend to give more benefit without much cost in cash or ride. You may not even n otice the K&N filter if you ignore the change in noise and don't get the TRD or other less restrictive exhaust; you really need both exhaust and intake changes to go together.

That's my thought anyway. I was shocked at the difference even moderately priced (Yoko Avid) tires made on my stock 1999 Corolla (five-speed). I left the engine as is becuase I thought the value proposition wasn't great for most performance parts; the cheapest performance mod would frankly have been to get a 1999 Neon five-speed which did 0-60 in 8 seconds flat and easily out-handled the Corolla, but at the cost of a quieter, more comfortable interior, smoother ride, resale value (natch), and gas mileage (to the tune of 4 mpg). The point of this comparison is not to invite a bunch of unthinking Neon-bashing but to reinforce the point already made here of not trying to convert the Corolla into something it's not. The Neon was designed for performance, the Corolla for utility and comfort. Both cover the bases well but trying to make the Corolla into a (first-generation, manual-transmission) Neon-beater by throwing parts at it is like trying to convert the Neon into a Corolla by adding sound insulation, dashboard trim, and, well, I guess it's easier to get aftermarket performance parts! (Those of you who still believe Honda has a performance lead can substitute the word "Civic" for "Neon.")

Some interior pieces do make a difference - the odd bit of chrome or woodgrain can really help. I love the Corolla woodgrain option but man, the price was just too much - I think it was $700? but at least it was real wood. I've seen some little bits of chrome that really do add a lot.

I love the Corolla woodgrain option but man, the price was just too much - I think it was $700? but at least it was real wood. I've seen some little bits of chrome that really do add a lot.
Dave..where is that option for the wood? I can only find after market that is real at a cost of $400 CDN. The best I can find is at the place that did my tinting and I will never return there. I paid under $200 for the Corolla woodgrain option but had to remove the large piece above the glove box as, even with tinted windows, it reflected the heat onto the passenger from it's glossy surface. I would really like to get a nice light woodgrain instead of what I've got.

Well...I've started repainting my hubcaps.

I first washed them

Then sanded them with 620g

Then washed it again

Then put a nice coat of white base/primer

Next, I just bought some Aluminum Plate spray paint by Model Masters

After I finish that, I'm going to put a couple of coats of clear coat.

Hopefully it works out default_sad

Looks like they came out pretty good - especially from a spray can. Great job.

Interesting - I have never heard of anyone re-painting their hubcaps - were they damaged in some way?

What else do you have planned?

Twinky -- those wheel covers look great! Outstanding job! Were they photographed before or after the clear coat?

Interesting - I have never heard of anyone re-painting their hubcaps - were they damaged in some way?

What else do you have planned?

Well c2,

There is alot of what I want to get done with my 98, however, money is a big issue due to that I'm trying to get my Mech. Eng. degree right now. I originally wanted to get some subtle 5 spoke rims but they are too expensive. So, I figured that I would just repaint my hubcaps since they were all scratched up. The second picture shows what the cap looked like before the base coat. The first pic shows the white base. The 3rd and 4th pic is the finished product with one coat of clear coat. I've been model building for a better part of my life, so I have a few tricks up my sleeve when it comes to spraying with a spray can. Like fish said, they look alright for model spray paint. I used model paint that has enamel based acrylic oil to give a thick bolder coat. I like the idea of white hubcaps but that would be kinda ordinary and at the same time, kinda ricey. So I figured a white aluminum would look decent and that white base really "brightens" the Aluminum Plate paint I used.

Future mods (realistically speaking because I have no money):

Get some faux leather from ebay and reupholster my car with black. Repaint the interior black with white trim. My paint scheme is as such: the outside of my car is white with black grille, mirrors, door handles, belt-line, etc. The interior is going to be the opposite. Black interior with white door handles, white HVAC air distributors, white guage faces, etc. Currently, I have replaced the 3 bulbs on the instrument panel with blue LEDs and the cd/mp3 player is black with blue light as well. Next, I will change the shift boot with black and change the shift knob with a black one that the numbering glows blue. I will also be changing my pedals to ones that are black, but at night, it glows blue w/black outline.

Thankyou for your interest in my work. Personally, I was kinda worried about how the caps were going to turn out. I went ghetto and used sharpie to make the toyota symbol black. My gf pointed out to me that in due time, it will be discolored, so I best use a black enamel based paint and paint those symbols!!! default_cool

Twinky -- those wheel covers look great! Outstanding job! Were they photographed before or after the clear coat?
Hey Larry,

The first pic is one with white base. Second is the hubcap before any spray at all (original). The 3rd and 4th are 90% finished product. It does indeed have a clear coat, but just one. I'm planning on putting 1 more perhaps but probably not 2 more coats. The original hubcaps are very very glossy compared to my creation. I am kinda more appealed to the semi-gloss finish of my caps instead of heavy gloss. I wanted to be kinda unique with the black toyota symbol and a lighter tone/shade of silver (I used Aluminum Plate) for the caps. My only concern is how they will stand up to normal washing (ie. spraying with a hose to clean them). I'll cross my fingers anyhow.

Orignially, I was going to buy some straight five spoke caps but I would be respraying them anyways. Sorry for the pics, I took them with my phone (1.3MP). Thank you for your attention to my work. It makes me feel good that people are acutally recognizing my work. Anyhow, if your interested on my future work (also involves painting), look at the post right above this one. Again, thankyou.

The only upgrades I've done is adding a remote start/keyless entry, and upgrading tires. Perhaps I will have the rear windows tinted by a pro, but other than that, it doesn't pay to upgrade any major mechanical things for speed. Acura or Honda, yes. Toyo..no.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else