Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

9th Gen Corollas

by muzak, October 1, 2006

Other than a few simple modifications that no one notices, what are the differences since the 9th Gen came out. The one I've noticed most is centre rear seat headrest added.

I'll assume you're asking what are the differences between the 9th generation Corollas and 8th generation and earlier models.

The 9th Generation is somewhat larger, definitely taller, and has a longer wheelbase. There is vastly more interior space; the rear-seat passengers don't sit with their knees jammed against the front seatbacks -- unless they're exceptionally tall and the front seats are all the way back. The 9th generation 1ZZFE engine has 5 more horsepower than the 2002 model, and the 9th gens. have 15 inch wheels with a 5-lug pattern instead of 4. The 9th generation "S" model is intensely uglier than the 8th generation "S," which, of course, makes it popular with people who think ugly cars are cool. It can also be said that the Matrix is a version of the 9th generation Corolla, but I don't -- I consider it an entirely different car, even though Toyota calls it the "Corolla Matrix."

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Other than a few simple modifications that no one notices, what are the differences since the 9th Gen came out. The one I've noticed most is centre rear seat headrest added.
I mean the differences between the 9th Gen after these few years. I notice that the earlier ones didn't have a rear middle head rest. Are there any other major changes since it came out?

Max

I can't think of anything much besides the headreast. Tho they did add that "smart chip" key that Bob detests and I'm also glad not to have.

Ti-Jean

-Grille and hubcaps are different.

-Rear signal lights are clear instead of orange.

-Electronic throttle replaced mechanical one.

-Radio faceplate is different.

-CE has seat height adjustment standard.

-Engine immobilizer with warning light became standard.

-And the aforementionned rear center headrest.

All those changes and a few other minor ones were for the '05 model year mid-life refresh.

you forgot to mention the drivers seat being more uncomfortable...or less comfortable....

Max

Driver's seat hasn't changed during the 9th generation, unfortunately! It is uncomfortable.

Ti-Jean

Driver's seat hasn't changed during the 9th generation, unfortunately! It is uncomfortable.

The driving position more than the seat I'd say.

Max

I'd agree, but also, the seat cushion is too short- leading to an aching back on long trips.

I'd agree, but also, the seat cushion is to short- leading to an aching back on long trips.
The only pain I get from mine is under my right leg. I can't seem to get the right position and have to use a little beanbag when it starts to ache.

I heard someone call the 9th gen. Corolla a "baby Lexus". The door handles are Volvo-ized (instead of the flip up door handle of the 8th and previous) (I think many models besides just Toyota opted for this style)

More HP?? Brighter dashboard console?? (maybe it's just the white speedometer, to my 8th gen's black w/the green lights)

More bubble butt appearance? It definately is wider and taller...

the chip in the key yes...less likeable cup holder...(I like my 8th gen cup holder and stuff compartment better)

I do like the 9th gen. Corolla tho' despite all these...irritations? I just wish they'd blend the good stuff of the 8th and 9th and add a little new thing to make the 10th...

More bubble butt appearance? It definately is wider and taller...

the chip in the key yes...less likeable cup holder...(I like my 8th gen cup holder and stuff compartment better)

I do like the 9th gen. Corolla tho' despite all these...irritations? I just wish they'd blend the good stuff of the 8th and 9th and add a little new thing to make the 10th...

My wish for the American Corolla is that they bring back the Corolla Wagon that the people overseas have been enjoying for years.

It's interesting you mention the cupholder. Mine is an 8th gen, and I thought the placement of the cigarette lighter/DC plug in directly underneath it wasn't a very good design. In fact, I use a $20 portable CD player that plugs into it, and the cupholder would never go down all the way when I had it plugged in, so....that meant a lot of spilled drinks! I finally just ripped the cupholder out. I also no longer have a door on the storage department, either. That's now a handy repository for CDs and postit notes..

I just the the fast food business is trying to brain wash us as to what a "medium" sized drink really is...

The Japanese really know what a medium sized drink is...look at their waist lines...look at ours...

I think it is because the nation has its weight spread around - that's why they love the Sumo guys there default_biggrin

The best thing Corolla could do with a 10th gen. Corolla is to bring back the exact design of the 7th generation. I believe it was the best looking Corolla ever. They should keep certain things like the 15" five-lug wheels, but externally, the 7th gen. was Corolla classic and they need to bring it back and keep it forever.

The side mouldings are now car colour instead of black (2003 canadian model)

I hope they make the 10th gen. look like a real "baby Lexus" or "Little brother of Scion"

Even the Volvo look is kind of sharp.

In australia, the upgrades between a Dec 01 compliance plate and a Oct 06 compliance plate are as follows:

MY05 upgrade (during 2004):

*New power window switches

*New radio faceplate

*New tailights

*New front bumper

*Colour-coded grille on sedans and wagons

*Facelift for hatchbacks

*15" wheels on ascent, alloys on conquest

*Improved sports seating on conquest, as well as improved courtesy lighting

MY06 upgrade (arrived late'05)

*detuned motor to satisfy Euro IV emissions requirements.

MY07 upgrade

*Passenger airbag standard on ascent

*ABS standard on conquest

Topic List