Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Police

By muzak, September 25, 2006

Anyone have a story of the Police being in the right place at the right time? ....Or the wrong place at the wrong time?

This weekend I was riding my motorcycle at night and knew of an upcoming pothole in the road. I saw a guy ahead run the red light and so I hit the horn (as usual), but swerved as I knew the pothole was coming up. All of a sudden, from the left, I see a cop light up and pursue the guy who ran the light. I don't think he would have done anything, but with my horn and swerving, it woke him up.

Another time after work earlier this year, I was in my Corolla about 2:30 am and was forced off the road by a small clown car with about 35 Chinese guys inside with all their heads pressed against the window. I followed and saw as they were driving really bad and almost hit a parked car on the other side of a four lane road. The oncoming car passed them, but low and behold, it was a cop and stopped while flashing my lights. He pulled around behind the guys and I watched as they continued down the road...in the middle of the lane..only to get pulled over. I felt I saved someones life that night..

Bikeman982

Anyone have a story of the Police being in the right place at the right time? ....Or the wrong place at the wrong time? This weekend I was riding my motorcycle at night and knew of an upcoming pothole in the road. I saw a guy ahead run the red light and so I hit the horn (as usual), but swerved as I knew the pothole was coming up. All of a sudden, from the left, I see a cop light up and pursue the guy who ran the light. I don't think he would have done anything, but with my horn and swerving, it woke him up.

Another time after work earlier this year, I was in my Corolla about 2:30 am and was forced off the road by a small clown car with about 35 Chinese guys inside with all their heads pressed against the window. I followed and saw as they were driving really bad and almost hit a parked car on the other side of a four lane road. The oncoming car passed them, but low and behold, it was a cop and stopped while flashing my lights. He pulled around behind the guys and I watched as they continued down the road...in the middle of the lane..only to get pulled over. I felt I saved someones life that night..

I had a cop doing a Friday night sobriety check stop me for speeding, because I was late and on my way to work.

For me, they were in the wrong place at that time!!

I have hardly ever had the experience of seeing a cop actually pursuing a driver who was driving erratically. Since I got my cell phone years ago, I have, on a couple of occasions, called in the descriptions of drivers who appeared to be driving while intoxicated. In both cases, the cars were all over the road, I mean crossing into the opposite lane, having near-misses with oncoming cars, the whole works. In none of those cases were the apparently drunk drivers apprehended, even though they were on what I'd call "main" routes around my area, which should have regular police patrols. I see state police and local police cars on these roads all the time, waiting to make criminals out of people who drive the same way the cops do when they are off-duty. But I rarely actually see a person driving in an intoxicated or dangerously aggressive manner pursued by police.

Bikeman982

I see them on Tv all the time - just watch "Cops" -

Bad boys, bad boys, watcha gonna do when they come for you......

With me finishing work after 2am, there isn't much traffic on the roads except taxis and police cars. There may not be as much traffic, but I have to be quite aware of every car coming at me from any direction as they could have just came from a bar.

Bikeman982

With me finishing work after 2am, there isn't much traffic on the roads except taxis and police cars. There may not be as much traffic, but I have to be quite aware of every car coming at me from any direction as they could have just came from a bar.
Or they could be the police out looking for people that have just come from the bar.

They could think you just came from a bar.

Interesting - an actual law. I'm the same way - I usually exercise caution in that instant but I generally will not switch lanes unless the emergency vehicle is protruding out into the lane or the other lanes are clear (in DC Metro traffic, not likely).

Max

I knew about the law. But I had been moving over long before it was law out of safety concerns and just plain common courtesy. As to the original topic; No, I really never have seen the police in the right place at the right time. If I did, we might not have so many red light runners here.

Bikeman982

I always move over - I don't want anything to do with hitting someone, least of all a cop.

Last year here the police did a one day blitz by having a couple of officers on two homeward bound schoolbuses. Following each bus was an unmarked police cruiser. Between the two buses at least 6 vehicles passed the buses while lights flashing and letting little kids off. I think the only thing more serious than that here is "leaving the scene"....which is an automatic loss of license.

Few months ago, on a short road trip,

A buddy and I were driving through a "bad" part of Toledo (it was the detour due to road construction). in his brand new 06 Mustang convertable (it was still summer).

Suddenly a kid, maybe 10yrs old, pops out and throws a rock hitting the windshield. Buddy had to go a few feet before he could turn the car around.

While he was doing this, I called 911, scared that if he cought up to the kid, he was going to kill him. Fortunately, cop showed up in 30secs.

Let the cop know why he was so upset. The cop was very understanding and even volunteered to look for the kid. We went down one street, he went down the other side of the street.

As we got to the end of the block, we came up against a truck with a bunch of gang-types.

Apparently, it was a set-up.

Kid throw rock, we chase him down, gang car jacks us.

Fortunately, the cop showed up so quickly, that they did not do anything.

tdk.

Last year here the police did a one day blitz by having a couple of officers on two homeward bound schoolbuses. Following each bus was an unmarked police cruiser. Between the two buses at least 6 vehicles passed the buses while lights flashing and letting little kids off. I think the only thing more serious than that here is "leaving the scene"....which is an automatic loss of license.

Think they are 6 and 7 points demerit? This is what leads me to think big school buses are king of the road and my "solemn wow" to shut off engine facing such things. I want a hybrid that does this for me! default_laugh

Topic List: Go to Everything Else