Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Integral Calculus

By twinky64, September 25, 2006

Man, this is the second time I'm taking integral calculus! I took it over the summer and didn't pass. I need a C or better to pass and I got a D. So I'm taking it again and it seems to be a bit harder for some reason. I suppose its useful. I'm in a section that deals with applications to physics and engineering. Right now I have to find hydrostatic force for a given depth and a certain shape. For example, finding the hydrostatic force on 5 sides of a swimming pool given the density of water. But its all integrals and its not as easy as finding the pressure on a certain point on a surface. This is because the surface is inclining from the deep end to the shallow end so there is no absolute force because its variable. Damn!! I've been working on one problem for like 30 min.

• 1,424 posts
Man, this is the second time I'm taking integral calculus! I took it over the summer and didn't pass. I need a C or better to pass and I got a D. So I'm taking it again and it seems to be a bit harder for some reason. I suppose its useful. I'm in a section that deals with applications to physics and engineering. Right now I have to find hydrostatic force for a given depth and a certain shape. For example, finding the hydrostatic force on 5 sides of a swimming pool given the density of water. But its all integrals and its not as easy as finding the pressure on a certain point on a surface. This is because the surface is inclining from the deep end to the shallow end so there is no absolute force because its variable. Damn!! I've been working on one problem for like 30 min.

I'm not promising I can help, but if you do want help with the problem, you need to post the actual problem. We can't possible integrate without any formulas or numbers to integrate over or anything like that.

Hopefully these equations will come out - did they kind of fast, so we'll see if they are right or not (been a while since I did this).

To estimate the total forces F, acting on the tank vertical walls of width W, and depth H, and since pressure varies with depth, one has to integrate thus getting:

F = PoWH + ½ ? gWH2

The units are:

F, N

Po, if atmospheric, (101,325) Pa (= N/m2)

?, for water, (1,000) kg/m3

W and H, m

g, (9.81) m/s2

Like you probably figured out - forces are the result of integration. The area d A = Wd h, then the force is d F = Pd A = PWd h, and for

P = Po + ? gh:

F = ? d F = ?0H (Po + ? gh)Wd h = PoWH + ½? gWH2 >> Note: OH inside the integral is limits from O to H.

I'm not promising I can help, but if you do want help with the problem, you need to post the actual problem. We can't possible integrate without any formulas or numbers to integrate over or anything like that.

o yea i know, i was just bitching

Bikeman982

I took Calculus 1, 2, 3, and 4 in college but don't remember any of it, since I don't use it.

It took me 33 years to pass a basic Algebra course. What the heck is calculus? I thought it was something that the dentist scraped off your teeth.

Bikeman982

It took me 33 years to pass a basic Algebra course. What the heck is calculus? I thought it was something that the dentist scraped off your teeth.

I don't think it is required knowledge for drivers.

Lets say you have a graph that graphs your distance vs. time in an automobile. If you draw a tangent line on any part of that graph, then you draw one. However, the method of doing so is called derivative, that is a system of math just like add, subract, multiply, divide.

Bikeman982

Lets say you have a graph that graphs your distance vs. time in an automobile. If you draw a tangent line on any part of that graph, then you draw one. However, the method of doing so is called derivative, that is a system of math just like add, subract, multiply, divide.

Basic math can be used everyday - calculus, not necessary for most people.

Yup, exactly. I want to be a mechanical engineer in perhaps robotics/mechatronics, chasis design, or aerodynamics. I like cars alot and want to improve upon it. Its going to be kinda hard though due to the powertrain most likely going to be revolutionized and changed. This all thanks to global warming. Although a volcano will release more greenhouse gases than 50 years of automobiles combined but all we are doing is not letting it dissipate. Perhaps making a machine that converts CO2 to Oxygen or O3 to replace all the trees we are cuttying down. I have an idea for a magnetic engine. I don't have much engineering education but I am somewhat innovative. For example, perhaps making the drum brakes somwhat slanted instead of 90 degree perpendicular angle. That would cause the centrivical force to spit out any water that gets in their. Perhaps make some holes on the side to cause it to suck in air to help cooling. I don't know.

Bikeman982

Yup, exactly. I want to be a mechanical engineer in perhaps robotics/mechatronics, chasis design, or aerodynamics. I like cars alot and want to improve upon it. Its going to be kinda hard though due to the powertrain most likely going to be revolutionized and changed. This all thanks to global warming. Although a volcano will release more greenhouse gases than 50 years of automobiles combined but all we are doing is not letting it dissipate. Perhaps making a machine that converts CO2 to Oxygen or O3 to replace all the trees we are cuttying down. I have an idea for a magnetic engine. I don't have much engineering education but I am somewhat innovative. For example, perhaps making the drum brakes somwhat slanted instead of 90 degree perpendicular angle. That would cause the centrivical force to spit out any water that gets in their. Perhaps make some holes on the side to cause it to suck in air to help cooling. I don't know.

Perhaps make a car that is affordable and runs on something besides fosilized fuel.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else