Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By BobLevine, September 20, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

In a different post Plexus was recommended for cleaning the lenses. I have not been able to locate Plexus in my community. It's my understanding it is an aircraft product. I really wish there were more products for cleaning headlamp.

Bikeman982

8th Gen headlamp lens seem to have the oxidation problem. I never had it with my 7th gen. Anyway, I used the method described here to remove the oxidation damage. Starting with 400 grit wet/dry and moving up to 1600 grit, then finished by using rubbing compound. Lenses 100% better. I didn't use anything else. I know i took some before & after pics, just cant find them now.
I will have to use sandpaper to get mine clearer. I hope it doesn't leave scratch marks.

I wet sanded with a very fine grit.

Just follow the steps I described above and you won't have any problems...the more attention to detail and the finer the grit you use the less scratches you will see. If you do it correctly all you will see are a few swirl marks. Once polished you won't notice. Figure on 30 to 40 minutes each on severely pitted/yellowed lenses. My Plymouth van was easier than the Corolla because the Corolla has raised dimples that you will need to avoid as you sand. The van did not have these.

This pretty much the same process that one would use after painting a vehicle.....wet sand and buff.

I believe the yellowing is caused by UV exposure. Pitting is caused by sand etc bouncing off the plastic (lexan??) lenses.

Jay in MA

8th Gen headlamp lens seem to have the oxidation problem. I never had it with my 7th gen. Anyway, I used the method described here to remove the oxidation damage. Starting with 400 grit wet/dry and moving up to 1600 grit, then finished by using rubbing compound. Lenses 100% better. I didn't use anything else. I know i took some before & after pics, just cant find them now.

I will have to use sandpaper to get mine clearer. I hope it doesn't leave scratch marks.

Topic List