Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Battles Of The Bulge...

By c2105026, September 17, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Give up all wheat but not necessarily low carb and see how that helps you.

Hello all,

As of today, in the last fortnight I have lost 9 pounds. I was 292, now 283. I am 5'9.5". My goal weight is currently 187lbs (would give me a healthy 13% body fat). A couple of months ago I was 301.

With the obesity epidemic well and truly upon the western world, this may be an interesting topic for us corolla lovers to discuss. Who here has won the battle? Who is currently fighting their own weight battle? Who has fought and lost? Who is to blame?

I will say that my high weight is the result of zero exercise, an addicition to junk food, an emotional attachment to food, and a lack of discipline. By peppering my prime time viewing with ads for pizza, burgers and fried chicken Big Food isn't helping.

Next update - 4 weeks in, lost another 1.9 kg this week (or about 4 pounds. Weight now 276.4. Have lost 15.8 pounds overall.

I have reduced my starchy carbs - I have 2 bits of raisin toast for breakfast, and usually have a sandwich/roll/burger for lunch. Normally I only have lean meat and vegetables for dinner. I rarely have potato now (only a few times a week). Normally I have a lot more potato, fries, bread etc.

My suggestion is mainly because many people have a slight allergy to wheat and it causes weight gain, with me the allergy is serious and that is how I know. When my allergy developed I gained 40 pounds in roughly 6 months. When discovered I lost that in less than 6 months with no effort other than no pasta default_sad.

So it may not help you, but I would try the potato in the morning and ditch the toast.

Bikeman982

The correct combination of exercise and proper nutrition in the diet can have significant effects on peoples weight.

Hmm, interesting.. thanks for the tip, but so far what I have been doing seems to be working with my lifestyle and body/metabolic make up etc. again, thanx default_smile

too true, bikeman; if you are currently drinking 2 glasses of whole milk with breakfast, if you simply swith that for light milk (2%) you can lose 9 pounds over a 12 month period. by adding a brief 10 min walk as well, you can lose about 15 pounds. By getting a small big mac meal w/diet coke rather than a large w/ regular coke, you can lose 5 pounds over a year.

NOW imagine if, like me, you reduced your daily calorie intake by about 1500 calories and now I go to the gym every day and burn about 400 extra calories there... that equates to about 3 pounds a week weight loss...

Bikeman982

The best benefit to your weight can be to alter your habits to make an effective lifestyle change that keeps the weight off forever.

Too many people go on a diet, lose the weight, then go back to their old ways and put the weight back on.

The best change is one you can enjoy making and stay with it for life.

aye, too true (again ! default_smile )

A key issue is that people think of weightloss as diets, nothing more. Like, one goes on a holiday and comes back, like most of the population goes on a diet and after 6-12 months go back to their old habits.

In the short term this works but they don't seem to recall that it was those poor habits that got them into such an unhealthy state to begin with. Your state of health is indicative of your lifestyle. If you are enjoying the lifestyle of a 300 pound person, you will either stay 300 pounds, or will get there in the future. From what I have read (actually it was a weight loss book by the great Dr Phil McGraw) to successfully lose weight and keep it off you need to engineer a lifestyle that will allow that.

Alcoholics and drug addicts must, if they hope to fully recover, must not ever, ever go back to the lifestyle that got them into rehab, AA, NA etc. Whilst obese people (who, generally have on some level an addiction to food) do not need the strict abstinence of those recovering from substance abuse, the general trend should be to a permanent lifestyle change. So, one would be foolish to go back to the lifestly that caused them so much trouble, socially, emotionally and physically.

Is there a break-in period when trying to lose weight? In other words, do you have to attend the gym for a certain amount of time before your body switches to weightloss and increasing metabolism?

No, as soon as you burn up more calories that you consume you should lose some fat. However, considering each pound of fat is worth 3500 calories, the difference will have to be significant for a noticeable weight loss to occur.

BTW, after 7 weeks I am now 269 - a loss of 23 pounds. My immediate goal at this stage is to get down to 263 by the Melbourne Cup, which is 2 and a bit weeks away.

I remember when I lost 8lbs, but that was when i went to the local Rec. Center 3 hours a day, 6 days a week...

I spent so much time running on the treadmill and watching Oprah it was enough to make you sick. I then went home to eat my Asian cuisine. You should try Asian diet and wander around Montreal if you live in Canada, or Queensland if you're in Australia...(I'd like to go to both myself)

Since I live in the 'burbs, I just offer to walk other people's dogs or mow the lawn... then I also treat myself to a home 'sauna'...

you could try seaweed wraps...or...that Japanese thing where you bury yourself in hot sand up to your neck and sweat alot...

Bikeman982

Is there a break-in period when trying to lose weight? In other words, do you have to attend the gym for a certain amount of time before your body switches to weightloss and increasing metabolism?

I have heard that it takes at least 30 days to change a bad habit.

The results of a change in lifestyle as far as eating and exercise may begin after a short time, but they eventually get to a point where the rate of change (such as in weight loss) slow down. It becomes harder to lose weight after much of the fat is gone and you get muscles in their place. By then you are feeling and looking better and people will definitely notice it. That could be anywhere from three months to two years.

Increase metabolism starts when you begin exercising and begin a regular routine to condition your body.

I always thought that people who sweat while exercising were out of shape, but have learned that it is just their body adapting. The sweat glands get larger and increase efficiency by activating sooner and sweating more. It is the bodies way of cooling you off in anticipation of your regular exercise routine.

The amount of time recommended is for at least 30 minutes, three days a week, just to begin to lose weight and maintain a better metabolism. The best way is to work out frequently and also to allow some recovery time (maybe a day or two) between workouts.

There a many books written on the subject and it all comes down to a deliberate effort to change the lifestyle by incorporating a proper diet, nutrition, and exercise into it.

Good luck!

When the weather is decent, I ride my bicycle to and from work. 18 miles each way, about 2000 miles a year. In the winter my daughter and I swim a mile or more three times a week in the local pool before I drop her off at school and take myself to work. No, it’s not easy and it takes time and effort to do. Worth every minute and every drop of sweat to me though.

Bikeman982

When I worked only two miles away, I rode my bicycle back and forth to work.

I also rode it 12.5 miles at lunchtime and then 20 miles after work.

I did that for four years and really got in shape.

I also participated in several organized century rides and did a couple of time trials and triathlons (just the bicycling portion).

One year I put 4200 miles on my bicycle (more miles than on my car).

I even did a double century ride or two (two hundred miles in a day).

I turned all my fat into lean muscle and really felt healthy.

I don't know where I got all the time, but lately I don't seem to have as much.

When I worked only two miles away, I rode my bicycle back and forth to work.I also rode it 12.5 miles at lunchtime and then 20 miles after work.

I also participated in several organized century rides and did a couple of time trials and triathlons (just the bicycling portion).

DANG!!!! bikeman, wow!

are you retired? I mtb myself but no matter how long I ride, I still remain 5-10 at 200lbs. I can currently bench 160lbs and curl 60lbs. As for my quads, hamstrings, and calfs, well, I just let my mtb'ing take care of that. But, I still weigh in at 200lbs. Nobody believes I weigh that much though, people go so far as to calling me a liar and I only say that to get attention. My belt size is 36, is that too large?

My arm flexed is about 14" in circumference

I cannot ride a bicycle. I never learned. Last year I got a bike, with a view to teaching myself; all I ended up doing was falling over and feeling kinda stupid.

My excercise is about 15 min of weights (plus recovery time in that), followed by about 30 min of cardi - usually on an elliptical trainer. On hot days, I just go easy on the treadmill. On cooler days where I don't do weights, I have been known to do 60 min solid on the elliptical trainer - this is weight loss gold, I burn up 950 calories in one of those sessions default_smile

In addition, as time permits, I go for a 50 min walk to a local mini-mall and back again either after dinner or before breakfast.

Bikeman982

When I worked only two miles away, I rode my bicycle back and forth to work.

I also rode it 12.5 miles at lunchtime and then 20 miles after work.

DANG!!!! bikeman, wow!

are you retired? I mtb myself but no matter how long I ride, I still remain 5-10 at 200lbs. I can currently bench 160lbs and curl 60lbs. As for my quads, hamstrings, and calfs, well, I just let my mtb'ing take care of that. But, I still weigh in at 200lbs. Nobody believes I weigh that much though, people go so far as to calling me a liar and I only say that to get attention. My belt size is 36, is that too large?

My arm flexed is about 14" in circumference

I also coached soccer and played some myself. I used to play roller hockey and then swicthed to ice hockey when an ice rink was built nearby. I still play.

I did do some mountain biking, but really liked the road better.

Anything that has you using a lot of aerobics and increases your heart rate will help you.

In addition to everything you can do for your body, there are genetic influences that factor in how much you weigh, what your body profile can be and also how you will look.

My suggestion is to work the specific areas of your body that you want trimmed - in a gym with specific equipment and then continue aerobic exercise to increase metabolism and heart rate.

Weight lifting will reduce fat, but muscle is heavier, so your overall weight might not become significantly less as your fat turns to muscle. Weight lifting is also not very aerobic and you would do well to supplement it with an activity that is more aerobic. I always liked sports as a means to do that.

I also coached soccer and played some myself.

You coached soccer...great game. I need to coach one more year sometime before 2010 so I can say I've coached in 5 straight decades. The knees are really starting to hurt now though.

Bikeman982

I also coached soccer and played some myself.

You coached soccer...great game. I need to coach one more year sometime before 2010 so I can say I've coached in 5 straight decades. The knees are really starting to hurt now though.

It is a great game and the kids are getting better every year. Takes some good energy and lots of aerobic ability. Work on speed and endurance, as well as coordination and timing. Good luck and keep coaching!

Well, 8 and a bit weeks down and I have lost 28 pounds. I am now 264 default_smile

eleven weeks gone, am now 254 (down 38 pounds). I cleaned out my wardrobe last week, half of my wardrobe was too big for me.

Max

Feels great, doesn't it c? Congrats!

Bikeman982

I talked to a guy who said he lost 150 pounds and he didn't look like he was ever overweight.

He said it happened right after he got divorced.

NEXT UPDATE:

15 weeks gone. Am now 239, down 53 pounds. Found another lge suitcase of 'fat' clothes for disposal, probably thru the salvos or other obese family members. I started out with a 48 inch pant waist; am now a 42 (recently I tried to squeeze into a 40, but it was about a half inch too tight). Tops have gone from a 3XL to just XL. I am now over halfway, though I reckon it is going to get difficult from here... I don't have any problem with maintaining my lifestyle, but the weight will probably come off slower...

Bikeman982

It is hard to keep the weight off during this holiday season.

^^^Here is a simple trick that can be used year round, but especially during the holidays.

Before you leave for that party with all those tempting hors d'oeuvres, etc.... Take a good nourishing healthy snack!

Topic List: Go to Everything Else