Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Battles Of The Bulge...

By c2105026, September 17, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Hello all,

As of today, in the last fortnight I have lost 9 pounds. I was 292, now 283. I am 5'9.5". My goal weight is currently 187lbs (would give me a healthy 13% body fat). A couple of months ago I was 301.

With the obesity epidemic well and truly upon the western world, this may be an interesting topic for us corolla lovers to discuss. Who here has won the battle? Who is currently fighting their own weight battle? Who has fought and lost? Who is to blame?

I will say that my high weight is the result of zero exercise, an addicition to junk food, an emotional attachment to food, and a lack of discipline. By peppering my prime time viewing with ads for pizza, burgers and fried chicken Big Food isn't helping.

Ti-Jean

Wew,

A couple weeks ago, A friend of my wife came over for dinner. She was 304 lbs and is now at 220 after maybe a year of control, discipline, medical follow-up and a complete change of lifestyle. She also underwent surgery to get her stomach tied up like a hay bale.

She's on her way down to 170. She now goes to the gym every week, walks and exercises regularly, the exact opposite of the vicious circle of more food, less exercise she'd been in for years.

Better late than never but the later we wait to control our weight, the tougher it's going to be. We become more sedantary when we grow older so we have to eat less and better.

In my case, I was all of 157 lbs when I decided that it was too much. That was 2 years ago. I'm 5-6" and sitting at 146 lbs right now. Anything above that is too much "avoirdupoids" for my "cat's frame". I mostly cut back on junk food and the like but not completely.

My Cadbury McFlurry last night was great!

Good luck c2105026 and keep us posted on your progress.

Bikeman982

I applaud anyone who makes the conscious and serious effort to get their weight where it is healthier.

It takes a good deal of self-discipline and those folks need to be encouraged and also praised.

Thanks! default_smile

Bikeman982

Thanks! default_smile

Keep up the good work and take it a day at a time. Don't expect too much and work on changing the lifestyle. Make time for some exercise and look for low calorie - good tasting foods.

I am on one of those seafood diets - everytime I see food, I want to eat it!

I used to be on the revolving door diet - everytime I turned around I was eating!!

Just some humor.

Good luck.

Here's a simple way to lose weight: Stop eating ice cream! I refer to it as "The tasty bowl of frozen death!" It is totally empty of any possible nutritive value, except perhaps for a small amount of calcium which can be replaced by a glass of milk. But all the sugars are the true culprit -- simple carbohydrates which turn directly into fat, unless you're going to do a Triathalon after each serving!

All of the other "empty" calories we're used to downing each day -- french fries, ANYTHING fried, for that matter, candy, milk shakes (mostly ice cream), and the biggest offender -- soda (the non-diet kind). Just remember, all the carbohydrates you consume have to be almost immediately utilized as glycogen by your muscles, or they will be stored as fat, where they're much more difficult for your body to metabolize.

As always, a well-balanced diet, mainly free of empty calories, will lead to a healthy weight.

Bikeman982

Here's a simple way to lose weight: Stop eating ice cream! I refer to it as "The tasty bowl of frozen death!" It is totally empty of any possible nutritive value, except perhaps for a small amount of calcium which can be replaced by a glass of milk. But all the sugars are the true culprit -- simple carbohydrates which turn directly into fat, unless you're going to do a Triathalon after each serving!

All of the other "empty" calories we're used to downing each day -- french fries, ANYTHING fried, for that matter, candy, milk shakes (mostly ice cream), and the biggest offender -- soda (the non-diet kind). Just remember, all the carbohydrates you consume have to be almost immediately utilized as glycogen by your muscles, or they will be stored as fat, where they're much more difficult for your body to metabolize.

As always, a well-balanced diet, mainly free of empty calories, will lead to a healthy weight.

Gee Larry - that takes away evrything that tastes good!

yeah, part of my new eating plan is a huge reduction in 'empty calories'. I limit junk food to one fast food meal a week (mcdonalds, red rooster,kfc etc), I allow one candy item, one starchy carb based treat (doughnut, a few small cookies etc), and one serving of soft drink, like coke. Calorie wise I try to stick to 1800 cal/day. I beleive this is the key, if one eats healthy one should include some treats to make it interesting otherwise it becomes too hard. When you ban certain foods, you only want them more.

Congratulations for the fast weight loss, c2105026! Keeping my car as light as possible for higher fuel efficiency helps motivate me to go to the gym. default_smile

I think most of Canadians are loosing the Battle of the Bulge. Sorry, but I'm a guy and don't notice the guys that much, but my family went to "Montanas" yesterday, which is a restaurant here in Canada. I think it must be a secret meeting place of "weightwatchers" as I counted at least 30 women out of about 40 that were at least 200 pounds. If any of them are not with a guy...I don't know how they could sell themselves to any available guy who cant tell what roll is what when the lights are out. Believe me....I know what it's like.

Bikeman982

I think most of Canadians are loosing the Battle of the Bulge. Sorry, but I'm a guy and don't notice the guys that much, but my family went to "Montanas" yesterday, which is a restaurant here in Canada. I think it must be a secret meeting place of "weightwatchers" as I counted at least 30 women out of about 40 that were at least 200 pounds. If any of them are not with a guy...I don't know how they could sell themselves to any available guy who cant tell what roll is what when the lights are out. Believe me....I know what it's like.
Some guys like the bigger women - not me, but someone else.

No, I understand. I would say that my weight is a key factor in me not having a date since 2003 default_sad

Another week has passed, I am now 280. 12 pounds in 3 wks. I had to get a new belt last weekend.... my pants were falling down!

BTW I am writing a book about my experiences during this weighty transformation.

Bikeman982

No, I understand. I would say that my weight is a key factor in me not having a date since 2003 default_sad

Another week has passed, I am now 280. 12 pounds in 3 wks. I had to get a new belt last weekend.... my pants were falling down!

BTW I am writing a book about my experiences during this weighty transformation.

Excellent!!

Do you have any pictures - before and now??

I will see what I can dig up, but I am not sure if i have anything appropriate.

Bikeman982

I will see what I can dig up, but I am not sure if i have anything appropriate.

I always see the weight loss commercials on television and I wonder how much of what they show is just hype and how much is real weight loss. I think they touch-up the pictures to dramatize the results.

It was about 20 years ago that within a period of a week or so...I lost about 130 pounds and have never felt better.

Bikeman982

It was about 20 years ago that within a period of a week or so...I lost about 130 pounds and have never felt better.

You lost 130 LBS in a week??

Did you have liposuction??

No..my wife left. I think that was about her weight then.

Bikeman982

No..my wife left. I think that was about her weight then.

I get it!! She was a light-weight.

Ti-Jean

My oncle makes jokes about his wife's weight saying that she weigh's about the same as when they got married 35 years ago; Only the first digit has changed!!! default_huh

Bikeman982

My oncle makes jokes about his wife's weight saying that she weigh's about the same as when they got married 35 years ago; Only the first digit has changed!!! default_huh
Did she go from 1XX LBS to 2XX LBS??

It's funny how history and diet has changed. The other day I bought a set of dvd's of an old British comedy show called On The Buses which ran until about 1974. Every show "Olive" was made fun of because of her weight and voracious appetite. Well, watching it yesterday, she was in a bikini and looks tame compared to some of todays adults.

Yes, I remember back in primary school (age 8-11) I was the fat kid, maybe there was a couple of others who I would regard as overweight (out of 85 pupils in my year or so). Now i see plenty of porky kids down the street. If you look at movies/tv shows made in the 60s-80s or old wes footage from that period everyone is thin... nowadays you can see an abundance of larger people. No wonder, in the west about 20% of adults are obese compared to 8-10% in the late 1980s.

I personally believe that the groovy touchy-feely attitude of the baby booming flower child hippie people has got to the point where successive generations have been told 'its ok to be yourself' despite how unhealthy it may be. Back in the 50s, if a child was fat a typical thing would be for the parents to take control of the situation, and rectify it by either strict diet or weight loss camps. Nowadays the femenists have got onto the bandwagon, its no longer PC to say that people need to lose weight, that to do so objectifies women and leads to anorexia or some rubbish like that. Would you tell a drug addict to stop using? Would you suggest your smoking friend to not stop smoking? Today the medical risk is not from anorexia, but obesity. Nothing beats a good old intervention to turn one's life around.

Ti-Jean

My oncle makes jokes about his wife's weight saying that she weighs about the same as when they got married 35 years ago; Only the first digit has changed!!! default_huh

Did she go from 1XX LBS to 2XX LBS??

You got it! The thing is that she's about 5`-2"...

I always see the weight loss commercials on television and I wonder how much of what they show is just hype and how much is real weight loss. I think they touch-up the pictures to dramatize the results.

I could make some of those commercials with "normal" sized pants (size 6), just because of my shape (small waist, normal hips)

In the past 10 years, buying clothes has become more and more difficult, with everything too big. I'm nowhere near anorexic or extremly scrawny (5' 3", 115 lbs)

Good luck to all those who want to lose wait. Change your eatig habits and lifestyle.

To add to Larry's list of suggestions, if you like beer (alot), switch to non-alcoolic, Beck's non-alcoolic beer is excellent.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else