Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

For My Friends In Canada

By Max, September 13, 2006

Max

I was sorry to hear of the shooting at Dawson College. It was the lead story on most of the national TV newscasts here in the states tonight. I just visited the CBC website where I got more info. I live in a state where a school shooting happened in the 1990s, and it was just a terrible shock. My thoughts are with you.

I wish to add my sympathies to the victims, their families and friends as well. I just hope that this incident doesn't end up in wholesale firearms confiscation in Canada as a similar incident did in the UK.

Remember -- the only thing that can stop the actions of an evil person with a gun is the presence of a good person with a gun.

Bikeman982

Guns don't shoot people - people with guns shoot people.

Where is Dawson College??

Montreal, Quebec.

Ti-Jean

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/apps/pbcs.dll/ga...4001&Ref=PH

Look at these pictures of the deranged killer found in his blog on vampirefreaks.com. He was 25.

It tells it all. Scary.

Dawson College is an english institution of 10000 students located in downtown Montreal. In Quebec, they are called "CEGEP" and are attended by students after high school and before university. So most students are between 17 and 20.

Bikeman982

It is a shame that sickos can get a gun and go on a shooting spree.

When innocent people get killed because of one person who is obviuosly not sane - it is a true tragedy.

great, so now ANYONE under 30 with a like of dark clothes is going to be targeted.

Bikeman982

great, so now ANYONE under 30 with a like of dark clothes is going to be targeted.

Better get a new wardrobe.

I think it's safe to assume that dark-colored clothes don't kill people. It's also safe to say that guns don't kill people -- unless directed to do so by a human agent. It is a fact that occasionally, human beings wearing dark-colored clothing and carrying guns do kill people.

Unfortunately -- I see no solution to this problem. We live in a crass, uncaring culture where the "popular" culture has replaced a culture of morality and decency. This has nothing to do with guns or clothes. It has to do with the direction our culture has taken. Due to the mass-media desensitization of people with regard to violence and killing, it is now a lot more likely that unbalanced individuals will take their weapon of choice and use it to commit mayhem against innocent bystanders who just happen to get in their way.

What is the solution?

Total civil disarmament in the United Kingdom has only led to an over three-fold increase in violent crime, including firearms offenses. The last time I checked these statistics was a couple of years ago. All over the U.K., home intrusion burglaries now take place at all times of the day -- the thiefs just walk in and take what you want, because they know the homeowners, by law, are not armed and are not permitted to use physically violent force in their self-defense. It is now estimated that over 70-percent of British subjects will become victims of violence or property crimes at least once every decade.

In the United States, states which have adopted "Shall Issue" concealed-carry weapons licensing protocols have experienced dramatic reductions in violent assaults of all types, and I cannot find reports of legally armed citizens committing crimes with their concealed-carry weapons.

I say that the solution is to make the working environment of the violent criminal one where his personal safety is not assured, as it is in the U.K. I have never had to engage the use of deadly force to protect my life, and I believe that the reason why is because I can, and do, possess that capability. The fact that I do is probably also on the mind of anyone who might attempt to invade my home. Deterrence works. It's as simple as that.

As stated in the Toronto Sun Friday, the cops were the only ones willing to run INTO the school while the guy was shooting. I think these sickos do this in schools as they are willing to take some bullets in the end, but know they can do a lot of damage as everyone is defenceless there.

Oh well, the guy is probably tending a furnace somewhere right now anyway.

Ti-Jean

And the death toll could have been MUCH worse because the cops were just at the very same street corner on another call when Gill arrived on the scene with his weapons. He then took an hostage and ran inside the college where the cops chased him.

If not, God knows haw many more innocent victims we might have today. Just 5 more minutes...

Bikeman982

Senseless killings are against the law.

Only God can help in those instances.

Senseless killings are against the law.Only God can help in those instances.
Now this is strange.....really strange!!! I went to work as usual this past Wednesday and a lot of commotion was going on. I see this huge crane in the area I work and it eventually took a whole shift just to lift a 4000 pound (about 10' x 15') steel enclosure that fell off the hoist when a couple of eye bolts broke. The guy running the hoist (yes, he did break the rules) left it hanging 15' in the air to answer the phone. I guess he got there too late or something as nobody was on the phone. While he was answering the phone...CRASH..the enclosure came down right where he would have been.

Bikeman982

Senseless killings are against the law.

Only God can help in those instances.

Now this is strange.....really strange!!! I went to work as usual this past Wednesday and a lot of commotion was going on. I see this huge crane in the area I work and it eventually took a whole shift just to lift a 4000 pound (about 10' x 15') steel enclosure that fell off the hoist when a couple of eye bolts broke. The guy running the hoist (yes, he did break the rules) left it hanging 15' in the air to answer the phone. I guess he got there too late or something as nobody was on the phone. While he was answering the phone...CRASH..the enclosure came down right where he would have been.

That is very strange - he should consider himself lucky.

Its interesting; last year when I was walking to the local train station to go to work I was about to step off the footpath without looking for traffic. Without any thought I looked to my right and here is this big bus diong 50 or so - if it weren't for what I regard as divine intervention, I would have been killed.

As for the gun issue, the long-termers here will probably recall my anti-gun stance. Thus, I will not be entering into the debate here and now on gun control. Firstly it won't be good for corolland unity, and secondly I don't think it is ethical for me to use this tragedy to grandstand my own opinions.

Bikeman982

Its interesting; last year when I was walking to the local train station to go to work I was about to step off the footpath without looking for traffic. Without any thought I looked to my right and here is this big bus diong 50 or so - if it weren't for what I regard as divine intervention, I would have been killed.

As for the gun issue, the long-termers here will probably recall my anti-gun stance. Thus, I will not be entering into the debate here and now on gun control. Firstly it won't be good for corolland unity, and secondly I don't think it is ethical for me to use this tragedy to grandstand my own opinions.

I am not against guns - just against guns used inappropriately.

I actually qualified as small arms expert in the USAF on both rifles and pistols.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else