Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

If Only Car Owners Were Like Bikers

By muzak, September 9, 2006

Obviously I have a bike and car and as a biker have to give the little wave or nod of the head to other bikers. That can get tiring when a group is coming at you. Obviously you can't do that in a car, but I've never seen anyone on a bike get road raged at another biker.

Just a few moments ago..coming home..a car was right across the road and I had the green light. I stopped and gave him a so-so friendly wave to back up as I had to stop. Well, the guy gave me the finger and stayed there and I lossed it. The bunch of guys in the car started swearing at me and from somewhere behind me these half dozen guys on bikes all stopped and started dismounting their bikes. Well, I didn't know a car could reverse that fast and go the other direction until now.

One thing I've mentioned before though is that I've never had a run in with anyone in a Toyota. Again.it must be the commrandity or however you spell it.

Max

muzak- glad you have the camaraderie with other bikers. Alas, when I was finally rear-ended by the driver of the car that had tailgated me to work for two weeks, it was another Corolla.

muzak- glad you have the camaraderie with other bikers. Alas, when I was finally rear-ended by the driver of the car that had tailgated me to work for two weeks, it was another Corolla.
I didn't know about that one!! If you posted it, send me the link please and thanks.

Bikeman982

Obviously I have a bike and car and as a biker have to give the little wave or nod of the head to other bikers. That can get tiring when a group is coming at you. Obviously you can't do that in a car, but I've never seen anyone on a bike get road raged at another biker.Just a few moments ago..coming home..a car was right across the road and I had the green light. I stopped and gave him a so-so friendly wave to back up as I had to stop. Well, the guy gave me the finger and stayed there and I lossed it. The bunch of guys in the car started swearing at me and from somewhere behind me these half dozen guys on bikes all stopped and started dismounting their bikes. Well, I didn't know a car could reverse that fast and go the other direction until now.

One thing I've mentioned before though is that I've never had a run in with anyone in a Toyota. Again.it must be the commrandity or however you spell it.

It takes all kinds.

Max

muzak- Sorry, I can't find my original post. The accident happened in 03, and right about that time, somebody else here got hit by another Corolla! The one that hit me was a 98, and its hood was buckled and it spewed steam from its radiator. Conversely, my car suffered only cosmetic damage. I got a new bumper and paint courtesy of the bad driver's insurance co.

Obviously I have a bike and car and as a biker have to give the little wave or nod of the head to other bikers. That can get tiring when a group is coming at you. Obviously you can't do that in a car, but I've never seen anyone on a bike get road raged at another biker.Just a few moments ago..coming home..a car was right across the road and I had the green light. I stopped and gave him a so-so friendly wave to back up as I had to stop. Well, the guy gave me the finger and stayed there and I lossed it. The bunch of guys in the car started swearing at me and from somewhere behind me these half dozen guys on bikes all stopped and started dismounting their bikes. Well, I didn't know a car could reverse that fast and go the other direction until now.

It's spelled "CAMARADERIE." A friend of mine pronounces that word "comaroddity" and it annoys the crap out of me -- especially since it appears to be a favorite word of his and he uses it quite often.

Max

Correct! Just like I spelled it in my post.

Bikeman982

muzak- Sorry, I can't find my original post. The accident happened in 03, and right about that time, somebody else here got hit by another Corolla! The one that hit me was a 98, and its hood was buckled and it spewed steam from its radiator. Conversely, my car suffered only cosmetic damage. I got a new bumper and paint courtesy of the bad driver's insurance co.

I am hoping to get a new bumper (or at least some paint) due to flying debris from an ejected sunroof!

Ti-Jean

Obviously I have a bike and car and as a biker have to give the little wave or nod of the head to other bikers. That can get tiring when a group is coming at you. Obviously you can't do that in a car, but I've never seen anyone on a bike get road raged at another biker.

Just a few moments ago..coming home..a car was right across the road and I had the green light. I stopped and gave him a so-so friendly wave to back up as I had to stop. Well, the guy gave me the finger and stayed there and I lossed it. The bunch of guys in the car started swearing at me and from somewhere behind me these half dozen guys on bikes all stopped and started dismounting their bikes. Well, I didn't know a car could reverse that fast and go the other direction until now.

It's spelled "CAMARADERIE." A friend of mine pronounces that word "comaroddity" and it annoys the crap out of me -- especially since it appears to be a favorite word of his and he uses it quite often.

Where is your high school French muzak? default_wink

Spent classes drawing cars and bikes... default_tongue

Bikeman982

My third motorcycle was a 1000 Kawasaki. Very fast.

Just a second here. Are we talking about bicycles or motorcycles when we use the word "bikes?"

As a bicyclist, the kind that pushes pedals around in a circle to get where I'm going, I also have a lot of issues with motorists. When out riding my "bike," I usually refer to them as the Stone Cold Killers. When I'm cranking my Breezer Uptown 8 down a country road, most motorists pass way too fast and way too close. Some times, they don't even move out of the lane when going by -- missing me by mere inches in some cases! Obviously, I've not been hit yet, but I wonder when my time will be up. I do wear a helmet, but that's not going to help much if I'm struck by a car.

BTW -- I've also had some close calls with motorcycles as well.

Just a second here. Are we talking about bicycles or motorcycles when we use the word "bikes?"
It looks like motorcycles the last few posts with some oldies and very goodies. As for bicycles, I drive mine probably about once a week but not on busy streets at all. Of course every vehicle operator should sway to the left when approaching a bicycle, but on a highway with oncoming traffic...I think the basic law of survival would come into play there. Would you rather take a chance with the bicycle (which should have a mirror and be constantly evaluating the situation himself) or the oncoming car or truck? Personally, I would slow down and wait for the other lane to clear before I passed the cyclist.

But, like I've said on here before. If you had the time and followed 100 cyclists for about 10 minutes each...99 of them would break traffic laws within that time. I don't even remember the last time I saw a cyclist......stop at a stop sign / signal when turning / walk his bike across a crosswalk. Actually, I just remembered I did see two cycle cops a while ago stop and signal a left turn and even signalled the lane change right after.

Bikeman982

My fourth motorcycle was a Suzuki GS1100.

I was a lomg-distance cyclist and put 4200 miles on my bicycle in a single year.

I was trying for 100 miles a week.

I have ridden many century rides and a few double-centuries.

I have also been in time trials and triathlons (just locally).

Topic List: Go to Everything Else