Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Windows Xp

By muzak, September 3, 2006

Hello friends and probably fellow XP users. I thought I knew a lot about computers and can build one from scratch. UNTIL...

I have a new legit xp that is a full install that comes with a new computer. I had to format and can't for the life of me get it to go now. It boots from the cd and gets as far as a blue screen after installing drivers and freezes up.

I'm sure tomorrow I can go to my dealer, but I'm getting withdrawal symptoms today. Any help would be appreciated.

pull the ram one card at a time, a lockup at that point is usually bad ram, faulty CPU, bad CDROM (or loose connections), bad hard drive (or loose connections), ect. make sure everything is seated well.

if the problem still occurs after you've tried individual sticks of ram then you should run a thorough test of the ram with memtest86. you can find more info about that on google.

is there any error code or a certain file it hangs on each time?

pull the ram one card at a time, a lockup at that point is usually bad ram, faulty CPU, bad CDROM (or loose connections), bad hard drive (or loose connections), ect. make sure everything is seated well.

if the problem still occurs after you've tried individual sticks of ram then you should run a thorough test of the ram with memtest86. you can find more info about that on google.

is there any error code or a certain file it hangs on each time?

It seems to be installing now. The manual for the MB wanted drivers installed to run the cd and dvd player. Well, how could I run the drivers if they are on a cd!! It wasn't bootable. Anyway..I got out my old 24x cd player and hooked it up as slave. It worked! It's installing as we speak and I have all fingers crossed.

Well, it's a couple of hours later now. What happened?

Thanks for the help. XP seems to be running fine and have to only do about 5000 updates. That's exactly why I keep my C drive small and everything else on a separate partition or hard drive. The old cd player came through in the clutch like the old "Biplane Evermore".

The problem was the new tech as the computer wouldn't recognize the cd/dvd players until after the drivers were installed. My first task when everything is up and running is to make a good old backup floppy that includes those drivers that hasn't changed in the past 20 years.

Bikeman982

Thanks for the help. XP seems to be running fine and have to only do about 5000 updates. That's exactly why I keep my C drive small and everything else on a separate partition or hard drive. The old cd player came through in the clutch like the old "Biplane Evermore".

The problem was the new tech as the computer wouldn't recognize the cd/dvd players until after the drivers were installed. My first task when everything is up and running is to make a good old backup floppy that includes those drivers that hasn't changed in the past 20 years.

Nothing like the old stuff to rescue the ailments of new technology!!

No kidding. The old dos commands are still used although we just can't see them. We can type any of them and most are still used today in the background of XP.

All of which begs the question: When will Microsoft create an operating system which completely divorces itself from the DOS legacy, and permits a "Mac-like" operating environment within the computer. By this I mean, all peripherals are literally "plug and play," drivers can be added/deleted without mucking up the whole system, and nothing ever "freezes?" In other words, when do we throw off the shackles of DOS and it's ancestors and go to a UNIX/Linux-based operating system?

I am seriously considering getting a Mac computer of some sort as my next major hardware investment. I know it may take a while to re-learn the OS, but from what I've heard, all my DOS/Windows applications are fully supported in virtual "DOS computer" windows within the MAC environment, and I have the benefit of the more bullet-proof OS-X operating system.

Comments, please.

Max

Larry, I'm going back to Mac, too. Looks like Vista is going to be a disaster (consider all the delays), so I'm done with Windows for home computing. I'm stuck with it at work, however.

For future reference, try posting or searching at www.experts-exchange.com

The guys there can answer virtually any computer related question. Fast replys too. I've been using them for years.

For future reference, try posting or searching at www.experts-exchange.com
Thanks for the help and it's actually going now and thank goodness I have two hard drives installed.

Bikeman982

Larry, I'm going back to Mac, too. Looks like Vista is going to be a disaster (consider all the delays), so I'm done with Windows for home computing. I'm stuck with it at work, however.
I have a computer related question I am going to check out the website and ask them.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else