Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Diesel Corolla?

By Accent 1ZZFE September 3, 2006

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since my last visit here, hope everyone is enjoying their Corolla especially with petrol prices going through the roof.

I just wanted to do a hypothetical and see who here would buy a Corolla if it were powered by a direct injection turbo diesel? I would if Toyota decided to build one.

And another question regarding diesels, is there more maintenance required compared to petrol cars? Im hoping those of you who are technicians can help out with answers here regarding the pros and cons of diesel.

Is biodiesel readily available in the States? How much?

Look forward to reading the replies, we live in interesting times ahead.

Toyota offer a Diesel powered Corolla in UK. I have just bought a new Ascent Wagon and would certainly have gone for a Diesel model had one been on offer. I had a small Diesel Ford when I lived in Uk and it was very economical and servicing was no worse than petrol versions. Very pleased with my Corolla so far, it actually is nearly as economical as the Hyundai getz it replaced, 47 mpg.

Roger

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, assuming it was a turbo. A naturally aspirated diesel that would fit comfortably in the Corolla would be quite anemic on acceleration. I grew up with VW diesels and my first 'car' was a Ford F250 diesel...

As far as maintenance and reliability, a good diesel will outlast a gasoline engine by hundreds of thousands of miles if cared for properly. All that is necessary on a regular basis are oil changes, fuel and air filter changes, and a quality fuel-stabilizer for the tank (ensures that algae and water does not become present in the tank). My F250 lasted me 250k miles before I sold it, and it was still running great. The only thing we ever relplaced on that engine were glow plugs and an injection pump (twice).

That said, when diesels do breakdown, it takes a dedicated diesel mechanic to diagnose and fix. The main problem most people have is they bring their cars to people who just don't know diesel engines that well.

So, like I said, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I've alway wondered why Toyo doesn't have a decent diesel offering. Probably because all dealers would have to hire diesel mechanics or they just wont sell in USA. Emissions could be an issue too.

Oil on US market contains high percent of sulfur. This will kill Toyota diesel

Oil company got to spend $$$ to modify refinaries to meet requirements

Ti-Jean

But this is about to change with low sulfur diesel coming to the US and Canada.

The main reason for diesel automobiles not widely available in the US in the past 10-20 years is simply that the price of gas was so low that there was no incentive at all to sell diesel cars, let alone small cars for that matter. Everybody migrated toward guzling SUV's and trucks.

If gas keeps above $3.-$4. USG for good, then gradually Toyota and others will bring the excellent diesels they've been offering in Europe and elsewhere for years.

I'm another who is literally waiting for a diesel Corolla to be available in the U.S. Yes, it would require a big change in the dealer service departments, but if Toyota builds their diesel engines to be simple, straightforward, and foolproof, then maintenance requirements should be minimal. They should also build them with an eye toward a high degree of user maintenance, i.e. easily accessible oil drains and filter locations, radiator drains, auto trans drains, etc.

Performance doesn't have to be hot-footed, but the fuel economy must be way up there -- the closer to 60 MPG (highway) the better. I think we've seen the last of relatively cheap fuel, and in the future, we're going to have to make the most of each gallon. This means we'll all have to grow up and drive responsibly and economically. I've been doing that all along.

Bikeman982

I would never buy a diesel Corolla just because of the noise.

I hear diesel trucks and they sound like they are not running right (too much ticking).

Diesel fuel is more expensive than regular unleaded.

DF cost 50 cents more per gallon, but MPG of diesel car way better.

I would never buy a diesel Corolla just because of the noise.I hear diesel trucks and they sound like they are not running right (too much ticking).

I'm the other way around. I think diesel engines sound cool. They sound like real engines. I make my living driving a Paratransit bus which is based on a Ford E-450 Super Duty DRW chassis, powered by a 7.3 liter PowerStroke diesel engine. Quite frankly, I don't really get an impression of the engine as being objectionably noisy. Yes, it's loud, but not ear-splitting. My bus is a 2002 model; the 2004 and later buses have the new PowerStroke 6.0 diesel and a 5-speed auto, as opposed to the 4-speed in mine. This engine/transmission combo is an order of magnitude noiser, particularly at idle. The damn thing sounds like every internal bolt is coming loose. The injector pump has a really annoying rattle. The 5-speed transmission gives a neck-snapping lurch when shifting up through 2nd and 3rd gears. This is a motor with some serious issues -- I hope Ford goes back to the 7.3 liter design ASAP.

One of the guys I work with has a diesel Passat, and my neighbor a couple doors down has a diesel Jetta. Those neat little TDI's just purr along -- not at all noisy. I test-drove a TDI Jetta before I bought my first Corolla, and I was very impressed with it. I particularly liked the immediate application of high torque at low RPM -- the car accelerated effortlessly, with well-spaced gear changes which resulted in meaningful acceleration, no lagging. To this day, I think I should ahve bought the Jetta -- except for the fact that a friend of mine owned a gasoline-powered Jetta and was having major reliability issues.

The challenge for Toyota in introducing a diesel to the U.S. market will be one of producing them fast enough to meet the high demand, while maintaining their quality levels. I think they'll fly off the lots, and would command premium prices -- unfortunately!

Bikeman982

I am all for better efficiency and more rapid acelleration, as well as smoother shifting, but I think engines and cars should sound more like a purring kitten than a clucking chicken!!

• 1,424 posts
I am all for better efficiency and more rapid acelleration, as well as smoother shifting, but I think engines and cars should sound more like a purring kitten than a clucking chicken!!

Have you ridden in a diesel car that was made after the year 2000? I've ridden in diesel Mercedes Benz E class sedans, diesel VW Jettas, Passats, and New Beetles and none of those cars vibrates makes a offensive noise or creates foul smelling exhaust.

Old diesels and some trucks are loud, smell bad and vibrate a lot, but the newer ones in cars are quiter than gas engines with a pleasent "purr" vs the "Vroom, Vroom" a gas engine makes. They also attain much higher fuel economy that offsets the higer cost of diesel. Diesel engines of new are smooth as the day is long and turboed ones have fab acceleration without sacraficing fuel economy. IMHO there is nothing wrong with a diesel car except that most US car lines don't include one in their lineup.

Bikeman982

Have you ridden in a diesel car that was made after the year 2000? I've ridden in diesel Mercedes Benz E class sedans, diesel VW Jettas, Passats, and New Beetles and none of those cars vibrates makes a offensive noise or creates foul smelling exhaust.

Old diesels and some trucks are loud, smell bad and vibrate a lot, but the newer ones in cars are quiter than gas engines with a pleasent "purr" vs the "Vroom, Vroom" a gas engine makes. They also attain much higher fuel economy that offsets the higer cost of diesel. Diesel engines of new are smooth as the day is long and turboed ones have fab acceleration without sacraficing fuel economy. IMHO there is nothing wrong with a diesel car except that most US car lines don't include one in their lineup.

I have not ridden in one, but have come beside cars and trucks that were obviously diesel by their sound and smell.

If I came across one that I could not tell was diesel because it purred, I would be pleasantly surprised.

I would never buy a diesel Corolla just because of the noise.I hear diesel trucks and they sound like they are not running right (too much ticking).

I'm the other way around. I think diesel engines sound cool. They sound like real engines. I make my living driving a Paratransit bus which is based on a Ford E-450 Super Duty DRW chassis, powered by a 7.3 liter PowerStroke diesel engine. Quite frankly, I don't really get an impression of the engine as being objectionably noisy. Yes, it's loud, but not ear-splitting. My bus is a 2002 model; the 2004 and later buses have the new PowerStroke 6.0 diesel and a 5-speed auto, as opposed to the 4-speed in mine. This engine/transmission combo is an order of magnitude noiser, particularly at idle. The damn thing sounds like every internal bolt is coming loose. The injector pump has a really annoying rattle. The 5-speed transmission gives a neck-snapping lurch when shifting up through 2nd and 3rd gears. This is a motor with some serious issues -- I hope Ford goes back to the 7.3 liter design ASAP.

One of the guys I work with has a diesel Passat, and my neighbor a couple doors down has a diesel Jetta. Those neat little TDI's just purr along -- not at all noisy. I test-drove a TDI Jetta before I bought my first Corolla, and I was very impressed with it. I particularly liked the immediate application of high torque at low RPM -- the car accelerated effortlessly, with well-spaced gear changes which resulted in meaningful acceleration, no lagging. To this day, I think I should ahve bought the Jetta -- except for the fact that a friend of mine owned a gasoline-powered Jetta and was having major reliability issues.

The challenge for Toyota in introducing a diesel to the U.S. market will be one of producing them fast enough to meet the high demand, while maintaining their quality levels. I think they'll fly off the lots, and would command premium prices -- unfortunately!

I'm the same way, Larry. It'd be great to have a diesel engine as an option for the Corolla.

Diesel engines are currently the best we have to offer. It provides a perfect balance between reliability, dependability, and efficiency. I'm tired of this hybrid fade. I'm an environmentalist, but I'm also a wage-worker. Hybrid cars are so expensive over their lifetime . Most hybrid cars can cost more than SUVs or light trucks over a lifetime. Diesel cars on the otherhand are incredibly more efficient and reliable. On average, a diesel car will cost you 20% less in mantenance over its lifetime. Diesel engines often last longer than petro-engines and get 30-40% better EPA ratings, which far outweighs the extra 50 cents per gallon you spend. That's why diesel cars are so popular around the world.

The reason diesel isn't so popular in the US is because it has a stereotype of being smelly and disgusting. When people think of diesel, they think of those awful smelling school buses and dump trucks. The reason why those big trucks smell so awful is because public service vehicles aren't subjected to the same emissions standards as regular cars. School buses today are just as dirty as they were 25 years ago. On the otherhand, diesel automobiles have made tremendous progresses in the last 10 years. Diesel cars have gotten just as clean as petro cars in terms of emissions. Excessive sulfur continues to be a problem with diesel, but within the next 5 years, I'm willing to bet its levels will match petroleum levels. A diesel Corolla can average 45 MPG or more compared to 35 for a regular petro one.

Bikeman982

Diesel engines are currently the best we have to offer. It provides a perfect balance between reliability, dependability, and efficiency. I'm tired of this hybrid fade. I'm an environmentalist, but I'm also a wage-worker. Hybrid cars are so expensive over their lifetime . Most hybrid cars can cost more than SUVs or light trucks over a lifetime. Diesel cars on the otherhand are incredibly more efficient and reliable. On average, a diesel car will cost you 20% less in mantenance over its lifetime. Diesel engines often last longer than petro-engines and get 30-40% better EPA ratings, which far outweighs the extra 50 cents per gallon you spend. That's why diesel cars are so popular around the world.

The reason diesel isn't so popular in the US is because it has a stereotype of being smelly and disgusting. When people think of diesel, they think of those awful smelling school buses and dump trucks. The reason why those big trucks smell so awful is because public service vehicles aren't subjected to the same emissions standards as regular cars. School buses today are just as dirty as they were 25 years ago. On the otherhand, diesel automobiles have made tremendous progresses in the last 10 years. Diesel cars have gotten just as clean as petro cars in terms of emissions. Excessive sulfur continues to be a problem with diesel, but within the next 5 years, I'm willing to bet its levels will match petroleum levels. A diesel Corolla can average 45 MPG or more compared to 35 for a regular petro one.

The diesel definitely has a bad reputation due to the older trucks and busses that were available in the past.

The connotation of diesel powered brings images of smoking, smelly and noisy trucks and buses.

If todays diesels are quiet and cleaner running, I think they would have a very big consumer market.

The cost of gas (petrol) in my area has been over $3 a gallon for a few weeks now.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else