Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Kind Of A Person Drives A Corolla?

by 112263, August 18, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Ever since I bought my Corolla, I have been fascinated with the way certain cars attract certain groups of people. For example, macho men drive pick up trucks or muscle cars.

So what kind of a person drive a Corolla?

I have been conducting my own informal research on this topic by walking and driving the streets of Toronto Canada. I suspect that my sample is approaching 500. Corollas are plentiful here.

My results. I notice that Corollas are common among the following groups:

1. Asians

2. Women

3. The poorer parts of town, in other words, lower middle class people.

I don't mean to slur any of these groups. These are just my objective observations.

What does this indicate? I think that the Corolla is attractive to people who do not view cars as status symbols but who want a car purely for its functionality.

The Corolla is an "anti car - car" If Ralph Nader has a car, it is probably a Corolla.

What are other people's observations in other parts of the world?

Guest model1822

I'm a caucasian macho man who drove a V8 Dodge Ram pickup until about a month ago.

Got tired of standing at the gas pump default_biggrin

Caucasian, 56 year old professional with a sincere love of all things mechanical. Untill 03, I had driven VW diesels for the past 20+ years. Got tired of fixing them.

Max

I have seen every kinda people driving every kind of Corollas. I'd expect that, considering it's the best-selling car in the world. See the "fuddy duddy" thread for more.

I notice a lot of 2004 corollas just like mine when I'm driving around. I'm a 40 year old male and I drive a corolla because I'd rather have..........

A 2004 Corolla and 1000 shares of INTEL

instead of

A 2004 Chevy Silverado loaded Pick-up and no shares

Both options cost the same.

You are correct, for me the corolla is the anti-car car.

Guest CorollasBest

20 here. I drive one cause the car is mildly fast for the horsepower. I redline it every day and still average 30mpg, beats my old car (mustang, 13mpg) << slower than corolla

I am 51, college educated, retired USAF Master Sergeant now employed as a Paratransit Operator for the Delaware Transit Corporation (DART). I drive a Corolla because I need totally reliable transportation, and my personal priority is excellent fuel economy and reasonable comfort, convenience, and safety. I find all of these in my Corolla. I have probably owned half as many automobiles as most men my age, and that is because I take excellent care of them and drive them for many years each. This 2003 Corolla LE may not be the last car I own, but it will probably carry me at least as long as my last car (a '91 Taurus) did -- which was 9 years and 134,000 miles.

21 y.o. civil engineering student, white single male. buddhist, vegetarian, recovering alcoholic and recovering compulsive overeater. i chose it because, well, it was on the lot and was a good price with plenty of features. observing the speed limits and road rules, it will get me places just as quick as any ferrari could and i can buy a house with the remaining money. default_smile

Guest linetest

I'm a caucasian macho man who drove a V8 Dodge Ram pickup until about a month ago.

Got tired of standing at the gas pump

Amen! 44 y/o caucasian male who just traded a F-150 Supercrew 5.4L. I did use it for towing a travel travel so it wasn't entirely a frivolous vehicle. But $38 a week x 4 per month was too much.

I bought my 03' for reliability, fuel economy, and the stellar reputation Toyota has. Both my wife and I commute too far, so we needed a reliable fuel efficient, reasonably priced vehicle.....the Corolla. It gets me from point A to point B.

I'm a 28 yr old male, once again single and 7 years ago when I got the Corolla I was looking for a vehicle with a low total cost of ownership. My primary transportation has to be dependable. Low gas mileage is just a plus, but I appreciate it more and more as fuel prices escalate.

It may be a bland bodystyle, but I keep it looking shiny and undented. I actually get compliments on it and people generally don't realize it's a '93 since it doesn't look its age. One of these days I'll post a pic for the heck of it.

24 yr old, graduate student at american college, I got my corolla for it great mileage and reliability. My car has 165K miles and still runs great.

• 1,424 posts

I'm a 19 year old caucasian male, and I will be purchasing a Corolla because it is RELIABLE. The high level of feature content, excellent fuel economy, reasonable price and excellent build quality are just icing on the cake. Plus the Toyota dealer is the only decent dealer in town.

The exact opposite of "people who drive Corollas are generally lower middle class" occurs in my town. We have many professionals, and dual income couples with no kids who drive Corollas, and if you were to drive around in the two most expensive subdivisions in town, you would see a lot of Corollas and other Toyotas.

In my town, if you drive a Toyota, (even a Echo) people assume you make a lot of money compared to the average income of our city. They also assume you are educated. All of these things are generally true, in my little town. The more educated and higher income people in my town just live here, as there are very, very few good paying jobs. They drive to Columbus everyday, and need a reliable car, and a dealer that can fix it if anything goes wrong. They have the option to not put up with the problems and poor service that the GM, Ford and Chrysler cars and dealers provide, and so they do.

I'm a middle-age,successful Caucasian male and I own a Corolla. I must be successful at it, because I've been a Caucasian male for a long time.

Owned a variety of interesting cars--'67 Mustang bought new, Scirocco (ditto), MGA, but bought the Corolla ('01 used) because I wanted something reliable, relatively maintenance free, and non-flashy, non-status seeking. Don't need to compensate for any personality shortcomings or ommissions of upbringing by owning a vehicle with a name like Renegade or Maxima or Rampage. Always liked Hondas, but they are hot on the "used" market in town, so I wanted a car that wasn't so attractive to others.

Promised myself that I would just change the oil and check the fluid levels and drive this car for basic transportation--no more car worship. Since getting it tho. I have caught myself washing and polishing it and adding little cosmetic touches and improvements and admiring the way it looks. Oh no! I bought this car to cure myself of all that!

Great little inexpensive car to buy and own that won't let me down and I won't get tired of the way it looks after a few years. How can you improve on that?

P.S. Ralph Nader doesn't have a driver's license (that didn't stop him from totalling Corvair), but I think he'd like a Prius.

Obviously my observations do not apply to members of this group. Perhaps white males are more likely to be on groups like this than the various groups that I mentioned.

32, graduate degree, family with great income. I got the Corolla because I commute and wanted to get the absolute lowest cost-per-mile, and I now favor retirement and financial security over projecting a certain image.

There are cheaper cars, but when you factor in mileage, quality, depreciation, and longevity, I imagine the Corolla is one of the cheapest cars you can own and operate.

I'm a male and I bought my 03 LE because I thought gas prices in California were going to out of site.....I was right. And gas is still over $2.00 per gal as of 8/17/04

Obviously my observations do not apply to members of this group. Perhaps white males are more likely to be on groups like this than the various groups that I mentioned.

Yeah I think were finding out more what kind of person drives a Corolla and uses internet forums as a means of research default_smile

bear in mind that this forum is surrounding DIY tips for corollas. I do not know of any females that do their own DIY auto work.

The 2003 Corolla redesign totally changed the demographics IMO. Now you see a lot more younger people (19-25) driving Corollas than you used to.

I'm 18 and was never really interested in Corollas until I saw the 2003, and thats what I now drive.

Guest Liana

bear in mind that this forum is surrounding DIY tips for corollas. I do not know of any females that do their own DIY auto work.

Well, here I am! default_wink Okay, so I don't really do it myself totally, but hey, I like to know how to do it if I absolutely HAVE to. I did fix my husband's Celica trunk the other day! And I fixed the power sliding door on our old Pontiac minivan too. But anyway...

I'm 23, white female, married to a 33 year old white male with a college degree. We have a 3 year old son and a girl due in December. We traded in our Pontiac Trans Sport minivan for a 99 Corolla because the head gasket was going out on it and we had to get rid of it fast. We went for a Toyota because DH loves his Celica and it's been a great car. We are sacrificing less space for higher reliability.

well, as they say, there's a first time for everything......... default_biggrin

Guest CorollaXRS

21 year old Assistant manager for the parts department at a Ford dealership. I could have choosen among other cars but, I opted on the Corolla for its price and the reputation that stands behind it.

Guest onemph05

I'm 28, asian, male and a corporate chef, le cordon bleu.

26 male, married no kids.

Work for a small family owned business : http://www.pcspecialties.com (I'm the tall guy in the pic). Job description : whatever needs done default_wink

College dropout (after three years...bleh, college).

I bought a 2005 Corolla S because it is relatively inexpensive, the Toyota Corolla is very highly regarded as reliable and well built. I bought it cause it is moderately peppy, and it looks cool (in my eyes). I bought it cause the ride is very nice for such a small car, and the interior looks and feels very very nice. I bought it cause it is supposed to get about 40MPG and my truck only got 17MPG on a good day. I bought it cause my truck had 152K miles on it and I know its not gonna last forever. Finally, I bought it because my truck doesn't even get warm on my morning commute to work (3 miles one way, on a 10'F day, the truck doesn't even get close to operating temperature).

Topic List