Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2004 Corolla Serpentine Belt.

by racket1976, August 18, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Hi everyone

I just had 45000 mile service for my corolla and my dealer gave me a list of things to do..

change front brakes and rotors $430.0

change serpentine belt: $126.00

change cabin filter $70

I don't know how much of this is essential. How can I check whether my serpentine belt is ok or not.. I can clean my cabin air filter (i replaced it at 30K)..

thanks

Rac

Get parts from https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com:

2 rotors and pads: $67.50 * 2 + $33.02 = 168.02

serpentine belt: $19.92

Most likely, you just need new pads.

On a 1998 Corolla, changing the serpentine belt is a 5 minute job.

It needs changing, only when cracked.

Change front brake and rotors - seems pretty extreme, unless you notice some brake pedal pulsations and decreased braking performance. With the OEM setup - hard to wear both the rotors and pads out at the same time (pads usually go first).

Sepentine belt - you could do it yourself. Takes about 10-15 minutes tops, if your familar under the hood - about double that if you are not.

Belt runs about $30-$35, put a wrench on belt tensioner, pull it back, slip old belt off, slip new one in its place, release belt tensioner, done. This assumes that the belt is bad in the first place - varys from car to car do to driving conditions and environmental differences. I've seen belts last from a short side of 15K to as much as 100K. Just look at the bottom of the belt, where there are longitudinal ribs - if there are any missing chunks or excessive cracking, signs of glazing or burned spots - then replace the belt. Lots of little cracks are normal.

Cabin air filter - recommend changes at 15K, but also, depends on driving conditions and environment. Can't really be cleaned out - beign a pleated paper element - but you can at least knock off the big stuff. Again a good DIY project - with a Philips headed screwdriver - takes one about 15 minutes, tops, to remove the glove compartment bin, replace filter and button everything back up. This has been discussed in great length in this forum. If you have already replaced it at 30K - might still be OK. I have pretty bad allergies, so I need to make sure I change it often - but the filter seems to last about 30K for me.

As for service - what needs to be done. You should really use the dealership's schedule as a guide - doesn't mean that refusing one item or another will automatically mean dire news for your car. If they pressure you - switch dealerships. All that needs to be done for proper operation is detailed in the factory service schedule (can be found online on the Toyota website, link here: http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/owners.php)

Everything else is just extra work, mainly to add to the dealers bottom line. From what you listed - I would say do the serpentine belt and cain air filter yourself (if they need to be changed). Brake service - that might be neccessary - depends on how you drive the car. But if you drive quite conservatively and the brakes seems to be fine - replacing both pads and rotors together, does seem like excessive amount of work. If the pads do need to be changed do to being completely worn out - then I would also replace the rotors. Used to be that you could "turn" down rotors on a lathe - not anymore. Newer rotors are much thinner and don't have as much extra "meat" on them to turn down. Check around at different dealerships or good independant garages - you should be able to find a better deal than that.

Good luck.

I had my front brakes pads & Rotor, plus cleaning of the rear drum brakes at approx. half the price of the dealer is charging you. That was at 140Kkm. Also after 160Kkm my serp. belt is still going strong.

Bikeman982

If it was me - I would get the parts and do all the work myself.

How can I check whether my serpentine belt is ok or not

This guide will show you when its time to replace your s-belt.

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/resourc...ia_cooling2.asp

Yes, a 5minute DIY job..just need a rachet set. 1st Toyo parts charges $14 for my S-belt. Locals want $25-37

Bikeman982

You can definitely save money by doing it yourself.

Thanks a lot...I am going to give it a try....

For the brakes i will take a second opinion because i dont hear any squealing sound when I apply brakes but when i release them i do hear some noise ....i have a ABS in the car..

Bikeman982

Thanks a lot...I am going to give it a try....For the brakes i will take a second opinion because i dont hear any squealing sound when I apply brakes but when i release them i do hear some noise ....i have a ABS in the car..
You can do a visual inspection and that will tell if your pads or shoes are worn.

I have put on almost 100k miles on my 4RNR in the last 3 yrs, and have not needed to touch the brakes (I do a lot of Hwy driving).

I was looking at the front dics/rotors a couple months back, and they are fine.

I havent even touched my rear drums since buying it (I need to take the right rear apart next weekend...)

Obviously, it depends on driving style, but how long are brake parts supposed to last?

Oh, and Racket,

As much as possible, do the repairs yourself. There are lots of resources to get info (incl this forum) regarding how-to.

1. It will save you $$

2. It will give you an increased feeling of ownership/affection for you vehicle.

3. You will get to know the vehicle better, thus you will KNOW when your vehicle is not running well (more than, its making a funny noise).

good luck!

tdk

Obviously, it depends on driving style, but how long are brake parts supposed to last?
Like you mentioned, depends on driving style/conditions. Personally - I've gotten a touch over 100K on OEM front pads and almost 213K on drums (Honda) - shortest was about 10K front pads, 30K drums shoes on a Dodge truck. Corolla made it about 25K miles on a set of OEM pads (DC Metro traffic) and when I switched to Hawk HPS pads, got little more than double (~60K). Rear shoes I changes at 100K - still looked like they had quite a bit of meat, but I changed them anyway.

Bikeman982

When I get a used car I usually have to replace the brakes. Most people neglect them until they are way too worn.

Got a bit over 40K on front pads in city driving (03 CE).

Son's 03 LE got over 50K (highway driving).

Had squeal problems with aftermarket pads on original rotors. Mechanic did job over with OEM and squeal went away.

It's no wonder people don't want to go the dealer for service.....those prices are incredible.

Even if you were to go buy rotors and loaded calipers it shouldn't cost you more than $200. I get jobber prices from a friend at Allied but I paid somewhere in the vicinity of $20 each for rotors and maybe $30 each for loaded calipers. If you know how to bleed brakes you might want to consider this approach.

Remove front wheels

Replace rotor

Replace caliper

Bleed brakes

Put wheels back on.

Maybe 45 minutes work.....

Whether you replace just the pads or do as explained above, it would be wise to push all the old fluid through with a good bleed.

Mine have 60K on them now...half city/half highway.

A good serpentine belt should not cost more than $40 and is usually pretty easy to change.

That cabin filter must be quite a chore to replace default_biggrin

Sounds like the dealer might be looking for work.

Good luck,

Jay in MA

Hi everyone

I just had 45000 mile service for my corolla and my dealer gave me a list of things to do..

change front brakes and rotors $430.0

change serpentine belt: $126.00

change cabin filter $70

I don't know how much of this is essential. How can I check whether my serpentine belt is ok or not.. I can clean my cabin air filter (i replaced it at 30K)..

thanks

Rac

Here is an update more to follow

I changed the cabin air filter myself....$20.00 saved $50 from dealer quoted price.

The serpentine belt parts and labor best quote I got is $ 68.00..I am trying to put up a picture here of the belt in my car.

Brakes i will look up over the weekend...

Good to hear - the cabin filter really is a DIY type of job - dealer will really bend you over on that one.

$68 for new serpentine belt + labor is actually pretty cheap - if you want to have them do it, just make sure to ask for the old one back (makes a good temp spare if the belt breaks on you for some reason)

If you want to post some images - you can upload them to Ohotobucket or similar (free image hosting).

Bikeman982

Good to hear - the cabin filter really is a DIY type of job - dealer will really bend you over on that one.

$68 for new serpentine belt + labor is actually pretty cheap - if you want to have them do it, just make sure to ask for the old one back (makes a good temp spare if the belt breaks on you for some reason)

If you want to post some images - you can upload them to Ohotobucket or similar (free image hosting).

I use Photobucket.com.

Can any one tell me the size of the Torx bolt on the belt tensioner?

Roger

That's a great price for a mechanic to do the serp.

I use a very honest independent mechanic as well as a (gasp) honest dealer.

Both were around $120 for the serp. Chose the independent because OEM's tend to get noisy fast. Original was changed on wty for noise and got noisy again in 2 years (20 more) thousand miles.

My 2004 Corolla CE was making belt noise so I had the dealer check it out. He said it needed a new belt tensioner and that it would cost $540. I said, WOW, that's not covered under my extended warranty? Then he double checked and said it was covered. Anyway, they replaced the tensioner and then it seemed OK, but less than a week later the belt noise is back. I called the dealer and they said it must need a new belt and that would be $130 and is not covered by warranty.

I would like to get the serpentine belt and do it myself to see if the noise will go away. Can someone recommend a good highquality replacement belt. Part number would be great if you have that. And some step-by-step instructions on how to do it. I looked at the belt tensioner after they put it on and i don't see right away any spot to put a wrench on it to lossen it up.

The OEM belt is a Bando #6PK1880 (w/AC) - a pretty decent belt. Gates and Dayco are other manufactures that make serpentine belts for our cars.

Should cost around $30 for the belt - I would keep the old one for a spare (I just toss mine in the trunk, incase the other breaks).

First thing - locate the belt diagram under the hood - if you do not see it - sketch out the routing of the belt or take a picture of it for reference.

If you located the belt tensioner - you will notice the pivot point on the bottom/middle of the assembly, and a hex nut right above. That nut is actually part of the tensioner frame and not a real nut - put a wrench on that and turn against the tensioner (move pulley downward to put some slack on the belt). With enough slack off - pull the belt off. Installation is the reverse - wrap the belt as much as you can around all the pulleys in the right direction, then put some pressure on the tensioner to move pulley down, loop belt around it and release to put tension on the belt.

Thanks, I will give it a try sometime this week. Autozone has a Gatorback belt, is that one any good?

Supposed to be a good one - made by Goodyear, funny multi-cog design, supposed to resist slipping. As long as it is the same size, I don't see a problem with using that one.

That's what my mechanic used since OEM got noisy in about 2 years.

Several months and still quiet.

My local Pepboys did it for $60. As I observed the mechanic was even talking on his cellphone while changing the belt--I wished I should have DIY the first place, but they gave discount to the part if you do work there, so oh well.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)