Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2006 Corolla Wattage Ratings?

by azsunlover, August 17, 2006

Hey guys I've got the regular single disc player with 6 speakers. I'm wondering how many watts the speakers each can handle rms and max? It seems that at lower volume the speakers are muddy sounding but cranked up to 50, they sound way better. I have an Alpine v-12 5 channel amp I want to try, I believe puts out 40 watts rms by 4 channels, and 5th channel is 150 rms mono for a sub. Do any of you think I would blow the factory speakers by trying this?

Pretty sure the OEM headunit only puts out 20-25W max (speakers are not much more, if the 2006 Corolla is like the Matrix - the speakers are rated 20W max). the Alpine amp will not blow them up, at least not right away. Speakers sound better at higher volumes because you are overdriving them slightly. OEM speakers don't have the sensitivity or frequency range that a halfway different aftermarket speaker has.

I would highly recommend not throwing that amp at them - would upgrade to a better headunit and speakers and see how that sounds, before I pump an amp in there. That would just be an invitation to blow up the speakers - which in itself would be "interesting", also give you an excuse to buy new speakers.

Also keep in mind that the OEM headunit does not have preamp outs - you'll have to go line level into the amp (if it has line level inputs) or use a line level to preamp level converter block - wither method would result in so-so quality. You may hurt the amp if you feed in a signal too much for the preamp stage to handle.

AZN,

Most OE radios will put out about 20W rms into 4ohms @ 0.5%THD. (The Toyota expert at our office is out today, so I could not confirm the Corolla specs, sorry.)

Fish is right, the speakers are rated at 20w (at least the ones we have back in our storage are).

Of course, if you want to crank it, it can max out at much higher power output, but then you are looking at distortion and blowing your speakers.

I have "blown" a few speakers with too much power in to a low power speaker (500w amp & 15w speaker, etc.)

However, most "blown" speakers is due to DC flowing through the speakers.

A simple explaination is distortion coming out of the amp = DC (I know the guys in my office will beg to differ in the "proper" exlaination, but I am just a dum sales guy, I need things to be simple).

I would agree with Fish.

First, upgrade the headunit (most aftermarket headunits now have at least 40 or 50w)

Second, upgrade the speakers.

These 2 you can do with minimal effort. Take out the current, and put in the new one.

If you feel that there is not enough bass, add a sub (and you can use your amp).

At this point, you may want to start investing in dynomat as well. Nothing is more pathetic than a sound system that causes the car to rattle (and buzz).

If you still feel that you want more power, then start looking into adding an amp. Remember, if you want to install the external amp, you will need to rewire the entire vehicle.

Preamp output from headunit --> Amp

Powered output from amp --> speakers.

I work for an automotive audio manufacturer, and we only have 2 or 3 guys in our entire office that has rewired their entire audio system. And they compete in various shows with their personal rides. Most of us replace OE parts with aftermarket, but keep the OE wiring.

my 2bits.

tdk.

Cool, thanks for the info, guys. I had a feeling I would just wind up getting a better head unit. I'm just not sure how it would look. I don't want anything that looks homemade or jutting out of the dash.

ASL,

(sorry, figure i would shorten your id)

I dont rem exactly, but I think that the current Corollas have a 2DIN radio (again, according to what I can find in our R&D area out back).

Any stereo install place should be able to get you a hooked up with an install kit, so regardless of if you get a 1DIN radio or a 2DIN, it should look good.

Unless you get the radio online, most stores will include "free" install (its not really free... but anyways.)

As for me,

I do not run any OE radio in any of the vehicles I own. I just use a kit (if required) that I found at Circuit City or Best Buy or any place that sells radios.

During this last year, I have done radio installs/swaps on a 03Civic, 98Civic, 02CRV, 02Corolla, 95Saab 900, Neon, 04 Ram, 04 Sentra, and 98 4Runner (like I said I am dum salesman. I have no idea why I am doing so many this year... almost 1/mo!)

The Civics, Neon, Ram, and Sentra required faceplate kits.

The only ones I did not like were the Civic kits. I felt that the gaps were not acceptable.

I am also doing an install on a 00CRV this weekend, but no kit required.

Anyways,

back to work

tdk

I checked out Best Buy today to get an idea of prices to upgrade the audio. They only had 2 brands of 2Din radios. "Dual" was $640, and the Alpine would run about $1000. Both very high tech, touchscreen, etc.....apparently you can't get a normal 2Din radio anywhere according to the Best Buy guys. I did see a really nice 1Din Alpine for $195 that supports mp3 ipod & bluetooth "ready". 50w x4, max, with 3 preamp outputs. I may end up trying this out, because the wattage is 18w x4 rms actual output, so I don't think it would blow up the factory speakers. If I do decide to get speakers, I looked at the Infiniti components and the Infiniti 3 way 6x9's. They had the cleanest sound out of all of the speakers. Even better than the Alpine in clarity. I still prefer the Alpine deck though.

Bikeman982

I checked out Best Buy today to get an idea of prices to upgrade the audio. They only had 2 brands of 2Din radios. "Dual" was $640, and the Alpine would run about $1000. Both very high tech, touchscreen, etc.....apparently you can't get a normal 2Din radio anywhere according to the Best Buy guys. I did see a really nice 1Din Alpine for $195 that supports mp3 ipod & bluetooth "ready". 50w x4, max, with 3 preamp outputs. I may end up trying this out, because the wattage is 18w x4 rms actual output, so I don't think it would blow up the factory speakers. If I do decide to get speakers, I looked at the Infiniti components and the Infiniti 3 way 6x9's. They had the cleanest sound out of all of the speakers. Even better than the Alpine in clarity. I still prefer the Alpine deck though.

You are probably spending more for your cars sound system than I spent for any of the cars I have bought!!

My advice: Get good sounding speakers..all six. Get a good head unit that can play mp3's. Don't even worry about a subwoofer as the Corolla can give you more than enough bass for what you need. Add an amp in the trunk for more "oomph". It took me a week or so to design the mount for my amp at work but I'm quite pleased as it's invisible when looking into the trunk normally.

Bikeman982

My advice: Get good sounding speakers..all six. Get a good head unit that can play mp3's. Don't even worry about a subwoofer as the Corolla can give you more than enough bass for what you need. Add an amp in the trunk for more "oomph". It took me a week or so to design the mount for my amp at work but I'm quite pleased as it's invisible when looking into the trunk normally.

If it is not too visible in the trunk - how did you mount it??

$195 is not alot to spend on good quality sound! Bike, I'm sure you didn't pay that little for any of your cars.

Bikeman982

You are probably spending more for your cars sound system than I spent for any of the cars I have bought!!

I paid less than $640 for one e-Bay car and less than $1000 for another.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)