Search Corolland!

Strange Cloud

By muzak, August 11, 2006

Bikeman982

Did you start to howl??

Those are pretty cool !

Max

mmmm.... I can almost smell that cloud... default_unsure

Muzak: I've noticed clouds like that myself, identical right down to the odd brownish coloring seen in the more dense areas of the cloud. I have no idea what would cause clouds to form in that particular pattern, but I suspect that they formed at a very low altitude in fairly turbulent air. I live only a couple of miles off the end of the main runway at Dover AFB, and there were aircraft operating that evening. I theorize that some low-level fog, which forms above the farm fields surrounding the base, may have been lifted by wake vortices from C-5's taking off over them. By any chance, do you live close to an active airport?

NIL: I think that if you got close enough to that smoke, your head would have ended up "in the clouds!" :-)

Bikeman982

Muzak: I've noticed clouds like that myself, identical right down to the odd brownish coloring seen in the more dense areas of the cloud. I have no idea what would cause clouds to form in that particular pattern, but I suspect that they formed at a very low altitude in fairly turbulent air. I live only a couple of miles off the end of the main runway at Dover AFB, and there were aircraft operating that evening. I theorize that some low-level fog, which forms above the farm fields surrounding the base, may have been lifted by wake vortices from C-5's taking off over them. By any chance, do you live close to an active airport?

NIL: I think that if you got close enough to that smoke, your head would have ended up "in the clouds!" :-)

The military uses those clouds to hide its secret UFO projects!!

By any chance, do you live close to an active airport?

No major airports around here, especially as the clouds were coming from the west. I do know that one day after work last September I saw a Harvest Moon for the first time in my life. It was around 2:30 am and the sky looked about as blue as it does in the day lighted by this large full moon. I think this year it will happen around September 7th. I'll have my camera ready that week and it will be my 35mm this time and my digital will only be a backup.

Muzak: Your 35 mm. camera will be able to take a higher-quality photo than an ordinary 5 megapixel digital camera. But keep in mind that once you scan the resulting photo or transparency, you're back to no better resolution than can be achieved with the digicam, for purposes of posting on the internet. And, of course, all the usual variables apply, such as the film's grain structure, camera movement, etc. In that regard, the 35 mm. should show some noticeable improvement, since digital cameras, at least the compact variety like I own, are very difficult to hand-hold at lower "shutter" speeds. However, I carry a light tripod for mine, and when I use it, I end up with images of almost view-camera like sharpness!

Ti-Jean

Muzak,

I like your bonny the best. Love those classic and simple bikes you can actually see the engine and work on...

What's your digital camera?

I just purchased a Nikon Coolpix L1 for $288. Cdn, rechargeable batteries and charger included. I did some reading on this website, lots of "roadtests";

http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM

Muzak,

What's your digital camera?

I came into the digital age this past January when I bought my Panasonic FZ30 and have only used my old camera for one picture since then. A funny thing happened a few weeks ago when I took both the digital and 35mm when on an outing. I took one shot with the 35 and then "nothing". Bought new battery...nothing. I finally realized (stupid me) that I wasn't advancing the film. I don't use the motor drive much in my old "35" as it takes TWELVE AA batteries!

TWELVE double-A's? That must be a serious motor drive. My Canon 35mm has a small "power winder" you can attach, which only requires 4 AA cells. However, it just advances the film at a slow rate. A true motor drive can run at several frames per second, making for true action shots. My power winder is OK for fast candids, but no good for any kind of sports, nature, or technical photography calling for serious action-stopping capability.

One current defect of digicams is that they can't capture and image, store it, and reset fast enough to give "motor drive" like speed. I'm hoping that this capability will come. It can be claimed that it already exists in digital camcorders, but stills from running sequences have fairly low resolution. As usual, this changes for the better in roughly $500 increments.

Bikeman982

TWELVE double-A's? That must be a serious motor drive. My Canon 35mm has a small "power winder" you can attach, which only requires 4 AA cells. However, it just advances the film at a slow rate. A true motor drive can run at several frames per second, making for true action shots. My power winder is OK for fast candids, but no good for any kind of sports, nature, or technical photography calling for serious action-stopping capability.

One current defect of digicams is that they can't capture and image, store it, and reset fast enough to give "motor drive" like speed. I'm hoping that this capability will come. It can be claimed that it already exists in digital camcorders, but stills from running sequences have fairly low resolution. As usual, this changes for the better in roughly $500 increments.

Good photographic/video equipment is not cheap. As technology improves more variations will become available.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else