Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Adding Fog Lamps and a Spoiler To A 2001 Corolla Le

by Daerauku, August 8, 2006

I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE Automatic with black fog light covers beneath the headlights. I have seen The same model (98-02 LE) With actual fog lights instead of these covers. I was told that the fog lights came stock in some cars, but was wondering if it would be possible to add fog lights to my car, as I think that they greatly improve the appearance of the front end of the vehicle. I would like to know if any one knows whether or not this is possible and if so what would be involved (for example would I have to hook it up the the alternator, the cars computer, ect, and would I also have to replace the switch for the headlights)

I have a Sand-drift Metallic Automatic 2001 Toyota Corolla LE. I've seen the same model Corolla with a rear spoiler, an addition I think greatly improves the appearance of the back end of the car. I've always thought that the back of the car looked like it was missing something, and the spoiler helps a lot. The spoiler I'm talking about came stock on some of the 2001 and 2002 Corollas, but not on mine, and I was wondering what would be involved in adding it to my car. I found a site on the Internet that sells it for $94, but doesn't include any information, like what would be involved in installing it, or exactly what it is. The spoiler has a break-light on it, so I know there would be some wiring involved, but how much and to what? Also, does the spoiler just bolt on, or would I have to replace the entire trunk door? Any information would be appreciated.

I've never installed one, but from what I've read, get the single piece blow-molded one, not the 2 piece one. Most of the kits have a drilling template, so you will have to drill holes in your trunk. Maybe just 2 holes for mounting, then the wiring will go through these holes into the brake light circuit. Don't forget about the painting cost too.

• 1,424 posts
I've never installed one, but from what I've read, get the single piece blow-molded one, not the 2 piece one. Most of the kits have a drilling template, so you will have to drill holes in your trunk. Maybe just 2 holes for mounting, then the wiring will go through these holes into the brake light circuit. Don't forget about the painting cost too.

Nillinois is right about the spoiler including a template and having to drill holes. Stay with the one piece spoiler, and no you don't need to replace your trunk to add it. Remember that your spoiler will look bad if it isn't professionally painted and if it doesn't include a working 3rd brake light. When you pull the wires for the third brake light, make sure you disable the 3rd brake light in the car, otherwise you'll have two and it will look tacky. This only requires minimal wiring. Finally make sure that you get the upgraded hinge springs to make up for the extra weight that you added to the end of the trunk, otherwise you may have a hard time opening your trunk and keeping it from slamming on your head once it is open.

As for the fog lamps, you could easily get an E-bay kit and mount it per their directions, providing that you have an option blank open to mount the switch and are comfortable with wiring on your own car. You could also go the OEM route, but that will cost a lot. You have to buy the two foglamp assemblies, a relay, and a new turn signal/headlamp switch. On the 2005 this setup costs about $600 just for the parts and it would cost even more if you couldn't mount them yourself.

Hood springs? I got my spoiler added a few months ago and have to be careful now as the trunk seems too heavy. Is there actually something I can add that will make it feel like it used to?

• 1,424 posts
Hood springs? I got my spoiler added a few months ago and have to be careful now as the trunk seems too heavy. Is there actually something I can add that will make it feel like it used to?

Yeah, your Toyota dealer should be able to hook you up with a part that will make the "hood" or trunklid/decklid as we call it in the US stay open and open easier. It is basically a stiffer version of whatever helps to open the trunklid, I forget what it is on our model. Or maybe it is a helper, I can't remember, but I know that there is some part that the dealer is supposed to install to help with the trunklid problem you describe when you add an aftermarket spoiler to the car. Go to your Toyota dealer's parts department and ask about it, they should be able to hook you up with what you need to eliminate your problem.

Thanks for the info Contour. I'll be off to check that out later today and see what the "S" s trunk feels like. My spoiler is the exact same one so I'll be able to see what's different about the hinges.

Fog lights.

Your car should be pre-wired.

If you are running "normal" automotive lights, you should not need to do anything special.

I am working on a 02 CE, and its got the wires. However, you may have to take the frotn bumper off to find them. I am still in the process of looking for the wire inside the cockpit though. If anyone has any pointers, let me know.

I was contemplating looking for fog lights specific to the vehicle, or putting on some sort of aftermarket (which I usually go with).

Spoiler:

Its just a matter of drilling holes.

I would recommend sealing the holes with a bathroom/sink caulk. Outside of that, nothing special.

And yes, if you add a spoiler the added weight will cause open/close issues. In the past, broke the hinge on my celica when I put on a GT wing (mainly for ricer looks - my friends could find me in any parking lot).

Good luck!

tdk.

Alright, thanks. It's good to know that the wires for the fog lights are already there. How difficult is it to remove the front bumper? It also would probably never have occurred to me to replace the hinges after adding the spoiler. I'm getting the car repainted soon, and I wanted to get those added before that happened. The car had significant body work recently, after having been hit by a tree, and the body shop did a poor job painting some of the sheet metal they replaced. (Passenger door, left quarter panel, right fender) I appreciate the help.

Bikeman982

I was thinking of adding fog lights to my car. I could mount them in the bottom part of the front bumper, or else on the top of it, or even in the front grille. Any recommendations for a good set of lights?? I used to have some Bosch fog lights on my van and also on my motorcycle. I might try those.

Dae,

bumper is fairly easy to take off. bunch of plastic clips underneath, and in the wheelwell. several bolts. I think they were all 10mm (or 12mm?...). Oh, the 1 tip I do have - on the screw near the bottom corner of the wheelwell, the blot is screwed into a retaining clip, which holds the bumper to a bracket. You will have to squeeze the clips in order to get it off the bracket. Other than that, its just a bunch of screws and clips.

I also looked into OE replacement lights. hard to find. good luck on finding a decent set at a decent price. If you do find some, please let me know. (I am now considering cutting a hole and installing small projectors - its prob cheaper.)

anyways,

good luck.

Bike,

I have had good success with most German quality brands (Bosch, Hella).

Seems like OE light makers also make good aftermarket product.

I also love PIAA, but they seem to be overpriced. Raybrig were also great (are they available here?)

Recently, I picked up some PIAA Denos. LED lights look great, but they dont light up the night as well as some of the "quality" fog and projector lights I have had in the past.

I have also tried some of the cheapo brands... you get what you pay for.

If someone has had good experience with knock-offs, let me know! always looking for a cheaper alternative that works.

tdk

Bikeman982

I think it might work to get lights that are close to the correct size and actually modify the grille to have them fit tight.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)