Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

06 S Are Not That Bad

by buurin, July 26, 2006

I went to a stealership today to pick up three clips for my car's trunk linings. Then trekked over to sales and looked at a stick Corolla S.

C$220xx, $1060 freight. Power everything, ABS plus sunroof. With some haggling it's not hard to get it for C$24k off the lot. Not bad.

Some strange things: The brake and the clutch shares the same tank of brake fluid. Had anything saw this kind of setup before?

The ZZE132 Matrix with TRD stuff just besides it now looks a lot less attractive. default_biggrin

But still. I'm still on the lookout for that perfect 01-02 stick 'rolla. The newest spotting is a silver 01 S 130k for C$7888.

There's also an xB demo on the outside. I thought they're only in the States??? default_huh

Max

I thought the brake/clutch reservoir sharing odd, too. All my cars have been manny trans, and this is the first time I've seen this setup.

Some strange things: The brake and the clutch shares the same tank of brake fluid. Had anything saw this kind of setup before?

Yeah, it was changed with the move to the 9th gen Corolla/Matrix. I sort of liked the redundancy of have two separate reservoirs - but I guess it was OK to have one (probably cheaper too).

There's also an xB demo on the outside. I thought they're only in the States??? default_huh
Don't know - maybe they are finally opening it up to the Canadian market, maybe in preparation for for the upcoming Scion models.

the 06 mitsu's share brake and clutch resivoirs now too.

• 1,424 posts
I went to a stealership today to pick up three clips for my car's trunk linings. Then trekked over to sales and looked at a stick Corolla S.

C$220xx, $1060 freight. Power everything, ABS plus sunroof. With some haggling it's not hard to get it for C$24k off the lot. Not bad.

The ZZE132 Matrix with TRD stuff just besides it now looks a lot less attractive. default_biggrin

But still. I'm still on the lookout for that perfect 01-02 stick 'rolla. The newest spotting is a silver 01 S 130k for C$7888.

At the time I bought my '05 LE I did some research. Firstly I thought the 'S' looked less attractive than the 'LE' and when I found out I couldn't get it without the ground effects I decided totally against the 'S'. Also I figured up the price and it was less expensive to get a 'LE' with all the equipment I ordered than to get the 'S' with the same equipment, this was mostly because the power stuff and keyless was standard on the 'LE' and optional on the 'S' and to equip the 'S' with that equipment was more than the price difference between the two trims. Finally, I liked the fact that the 'LE' interior wasn't all black and that the car had a variable intermittant wiper system. One car I had didn't have variable intermittant but just one intermittant setting and it never was adequate. However, I do like one thing better in the 'S' which would be the fog lights. In the US you can't get them on the LE. I would have gladly paid as much as 500 USD for them as a factory option, but no dice. As is was, my 2005 LE cost close to 21K USD when all the taxes title and plates were added on. I wasn't about to pay more for the 'S' with a black interior I didn't like, ground effects I didn't like, no variable intermittant wipers, etc.

As for brake and clutch sharing the same fluid resivoir, that isn't anything new. I can't think of any specific cars at the moment but I've seen it on cars as old as 1987 models.

I got my 06 S almost by accident.

I was loking for a used car of the Corolla or Civic variety. I saw an 04 silver S with 19,000 miles and loaded for $14,400 at a stealership. I called on it and was told it had been sold. Oh well, I thought...no big deal. Before I could hang up the phone the dealer asked if I would be interested in a brand new 05 exactly like the one I called on, minus the sunroof and for only $500 more than the price of the used one. He had my attention. He said they were trying to get the 05s off the lot to make room for the 06s and were closing them out. For an extra $500 I was going to get a new car, zero miles and just like the other one...except for the sunroof. I drove out to the dealer only to find out that the car was actually at another location, however they would haul it up for me if I wanted it. I drove another car that was simular to it to get the feel and decided I wanted to go ahead with it, but still wanted the right to back out if for some reason I didn't like the car when it got to the dealer the next day. They (dealer) had me sign a piece of paper with the VIN of the new car saying I would purchase it for $14,900, pending a test drive of the actual car. The next day I get a call and they tell me there is a problem. Apparently the car in question was not an 05...it was an 06 and it had a sunroof. The dealer tries to tell me he can't sell the car for $14,900....I reminded him that we had a contract that said I could back out...not him. The paper never mentioned the year of the vehicel, but it did have a VIN on it. default_tongue

I asked for a Toyota coffee mug on the way out...they said no...I wonder why?

wow, 15K for a 06 with pending leak! default_tongue

• 1,424 posts

If I'm not going to keep my car 15 years, 10 years or even 7 years why should I not buy something I enjoy because it may leak for the car's third or forth owner? I didn't buy the car for them, I bought it for me. I didn't wait 4 months on a custom order for someone else, I did it for me. I don't buy into the "It's better to never get hurt than to put yourself out there and risk it philsophy in life". I'd rather put myself out there and enjoy whatever comes my way than to screw myself out of enjoyment because something might hurt a little. Meaning I'd rather have a sunroof that will leak and enjoy it while I own the car than to worry about it leaking for someone else.

If I'm not going to keep my car 15 years, 10 years or even 7 years why should I not buy something I enjoy because it may leak for the car's third or forth owner? I didn't buy the car for them, I bought it for me. I didn't wait 4 months on a custom order for someone else, I did it for me. I don't buy into the "It's better to never get hurt than to put yourself out there and risk it philsophy in life". I'd rather put myself out there and enjoy whatever comes my way than to screw myself out of enjoyment because something might hurt a little. Meaning I'd rather have a sunroof that will leak and enjoy it while I own the car than to worry about it leaking for someone else.

Well said 99...

Bikeman982

I was loking for a used car of the Corolla or Civic variety. I saw an 04 silver S with 19,000 miles and loaded for $14,400 at a stealership. I called on it and was told it had been sold. Oh well, I thought...no big deal. Before I could hang up the phone the dealer asked if I would be interested in a brand new 05 exactly like the one I called on, minus the sunroof and for only $500 more than the price of the used one. He had my attention. He said they were trying to get the 05s off the lot to make room for the 06s and were closing them out. For an extra $500 I was going to get a new car, zero miles and just like the other one...except for the sunroof. I drove out to the dealer only to find out that the car was actually at another location, however they would haul it up for me if I wanted it. I drove another car that was simular to it to get the feel and decided I wanted to go ahead with it, but still wanted the right to back out if for some reason I didn't like the car when it got to the dealer the next day. They (dealer) had me sign a piece of paper with the VIN of the new car saying I would purchase it for $14,900, pending a test drive of the actual car. The next day I get a call and they tell me there is a problem. Apparently the car in question was not an 05...it was an 06 and it had a sunroof. The dealer tries to tell me he can't sell the car for $14,900....I reminded him that we had a contract that said I could back out...not him. The paper never mentioned the year of the vehicel, but it did have a VIN on it. default_tongue

Sounds like a dealership error in your favor.

May everyone's new car purchase be as favorable as yours!

On the shared brake and clutch reservoir, my 1971 BMW 2002 has that setup (and I think it began with that bodystyle, which came out in 1967). The clutch feed draws from a higher level than the brakes, so a clutch failure won't take out your brakes. Of course, good maintenance should keep that from ever happening...

-Dave

Sounds like a dealership error in your favor.

May everyone's new car purchase be as favorable as yours!

Someone is bound to get grilled, or worse fired, in the backroom over this debacle. default_biggrin

• 1,424 posts
Someone is bound to get grilled, or worse fired, in the backroom over this debacle. default_biggrin

I'd be willing to bet unless the sales manager/salesman or whoever wrote up the deal is the owner's son or son-in-law that they'll get fired. It is of utmost importance to check and double check any car deal. The person who wrote your deal obviously didn't think it was important enough to take the time to make sure he matched up the vehicle info across the computer screen by holding a piece of paper under the VIN and reading to the right. That simple action would have almost ensured that this mistake didn't happen, and it would have saved the dealer money and embarassment. No doubt the person will get the "do it right the first time" speech right before they're fired.

Dealer probably didn't make much on the deal unless they screwed you royally on the financing.

However, if there was a large loss, you'd probably have needed to sue them to enforce the deal.

This dealer was honest.

They tried to get me to finance it with one of thier banks, but I was a step ahead of them. I was pre-approved with my own bank before I even saw the car. All I had to do was call them with the VIN and the deal was done.

Dealers really love to screw you that way too. When my wife and I bought her Jeep Liberty the dealer tried harder than anyone I've ever seen to get us financed with his bank. Again, we were pre-approved with our bank before we even saw the Jeep, and even though we had the money practically on its way the dealership tried to force us to use their bank. They asked for our social security numbers and I refused. I asked why and they came up with some stupid story that made no sense. I finally told them that if the money from our bank wasn't good enough then they were about to lose a sale and stood up to leave. I must have been pretty convincing, because they gave up the argument that they needed to run our credit and let us have the Jeep.

I wonder just how much money they make off people who use thier banks?

Bikeman982

They tried to get me to finance it with one of thier banks, but I was a step ahead of them. I was pre-approved with my own bank before I even saw the car. All I had to do was call them with the VIN and the deal was done.

Dealers really love to screw you that way too. When my wife and I bought her Jeep Liberty the dealer tried harder than anyone I've ever seen to get us financed with his bank. Again, we were pre-approved with our bank before we even saw the Jeep, and even though we had the money practically on its way the dealership tried to force us to use their bank. They asked for our social security numbers and I refused. I asked why and they came up with some stupid story that made no sense. I finally told them that if the money from our bank wasn't good enough then they were about to lose a sale and stood up to leave. I must have been pretty convincing, because they gave up the argument that they needed to run our credit and let us have the Jeep.

I wonder just how much money they make off people who use thier banks?

I had the same thing happen to me and I saved a bundle of $$ by doing my own financing.

To anyone shopping around - you can get better financing deals than a dealer will offer.

• 1,424 posts
I had the same thing happen to me and I saved a bundle of $$ by doing my own financing. To anyone shopping around - you can get better financing deals than a dealer will offer.

That's generally true, unless you lease. Many times a Toyota dealer will push a lease through Toyota Motor Credit, and in that case it is adventageous to take it. I checked lease reates on my Corolla with other sources and every single one of them was higher than Toyota Motor Credit. Plus, many of the other places that weren't really large banks had really crappy lease terms. Many of them were open-ended leases that would have left me open to having to pay fees if they couldn't resell the car for at least what the residual value was if I decided to return it at lease end. Other leasing companies wouldn't allow me the option to buy the car after the lease was up, but they would allow me to purchase a similar car. I wasn't about to go for that, I custom ordered this car and if I plan to keep it, I want mine, not some other one that doesn't have the options I want and hasn't been taken care of like mine. Yet other companies charged up to .70 per mile overage while Toyota only wants .10 per mile overage. Some companies wouldn't do a low mileage lease (12k a year). Since I couldn't find one bank that would lease me my car for 3 years and 36K with a .10 per mile overage fee, no security deposit, no disposal fee, a guarentee I could buy my car for a predetermined price at lease end, or a gaurentee that I could just return the car and owe nothing, and online payment for a decent payment, I went with Toyota Motor Credit. They gave me every single thing I wanted as far as lease terms and they gave me the best lease rate I could find, and the lowest lease buyout cost in case I want to purchase the car.

Bikeman982

I had the same thing happen to me and I saved a bundle of $$ by doing my own financing.

To anyone shopping around - you can get better financing deals than a dealer will offer.

That's generally true, unless you lease. Many times a Toyota dealer will push a lease through Toyota Motor Credit, and in that case it is adventageous to take it. I checked lease reates on my Corolla with other sources and every single one of them was higher than Toyota Motor Credit. Plus, many of the other places that weren't really large banks had really crappy lease terms. Many of them were open-ended leases that would have left me open to having to pay fees if they couldn't resell the car for at least what the residual value was if I decided to return it at lease end. Other leasing companies wouldn't allow me the option to buy the car after the lease was up, but they would allow me to purchase a similar car. I wasn't about to go for that, I custom ordered this car and if I plan to keep it, I want mine, not some other one that doesn't have the options I want and hasn't been taken care of like mine. Yet other companies charged up to .70 per mile overage while Toyota only wants .10 per mile overage. Some companies wouldn't do a low mileage lease (12k a year). Since I couldn't find one bank that would lease me my car for 3 years and 36K with a .10 per mile overage fee, no security deposit, no disposal fee, a guarentee I could buy my car for a predetermined price at lease end, or a gaurentee that I could just return the car and owe nothing, and online payment for a decent payment, I went with Toyota Motor Credit. They gave me every single thing I wanted as far as lease terms and they gave me the best lease rate I could find, and the lowest lease buyout cost in case I want to purchase the car.

You mean you are leasing your Corolla???

I thought we were all owners.

I don't like leases because of the balloon payment at the end. Usually you pay more for the car (if you purchase it) than you would if you bought it outright.

the 06 mitsu's share brake and clutch resivoirs now too.

The Ford Contour shared the same fluid reservoir for brakes and clutch also. 120k when I sold it, and I didn't have any problems with either.

I had a similar instance with my dealership regarding price. Ended up getting my 06 CE (auto default_sad ) for only $12,800. They were going to screw me on the financing (something like 8%) until I reminded them that they were offering me 3.9% the week before, and I was going to walk out unless I got it.

When it comes down to it, they don't want to lose a sale on something like that, although I highly doubt they made any money on my car, especially at nearly $1500 under invoice.

• 1,424 posts
You mean you are leasing your Corolla???I thought we were all owners.

I don't like leases because of the balloon payment at the end. Usually you pay more for the car (if you purchase it) than you would if you bought it outright.

Leasing the car doesn't mean you owe a ballon payment at the end. At the end of my lease I owe them nothing if I just turn in the car. If I choose to buy it, I know what I have to pay and it is actually less than the original price of the car minus my downpayment and payments, so I'm actually getting a better deal on a car. Think about it, pay 300 a month for 60 months to finance the car or pay less than 200 a month for 3 years and then 300 a month for 2 years. The later option gives me 3 years of lower payments. How is this so? At the time I got the car, interest rates had just gone up, but the Corolla was on a lease special that included some cash back and a special rate.

Yeah you don't own the car, but you have the exclusive use of it as long as you pay for it. You can't trash it like people do the cars they own, but I don't trash cars anyway. Yeah, there is a mileage restriction, but if you don't drive over the miles, you don't have to pay anything.

and when that flashy new car comes out 2 yrs after you started your three year lease you only have to wait till next year when you can turn in the lease and get that flashy new one.

If you're on a 60 month purchase and try to trade it in after 2-3 yrs you are gonna be upside down and owe money - which of course gets rolled into that flashy new car, and so on and so on and so on.

Of course, if you have the will power to stay in a car till it's paid for then "owning" it is better than "renting" it. If however, you fancy a new car every 3 yrs you can't beat a lease.

I own three vehicles and lease my wife's, she has no will power (maybe that's why I married her??).

Dealers sure try to pad prices.

When I bought a Corolla, the F&I guy tried to stick a $299 "procurement" fee in the deal.

I told him if I pay a "procurer" $299, there darn well better be a fine 'ho in the back seat at delivery.

He got the point.

Bikeman982

I have not had a car payment since I purchased a new minivan in 1990.

All my cars are older and paid for.

I suppose I could get a new one - but not if it gives me a monthly bill.

Now I just pay for maintenance, insurance, gas and also bi-annual smog checks. Cheaper than a new car or even a leased vehicle.

Topic List